Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

DC2 Type R leaking roof + spare tyre well *NON SUN-ROOF*

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DC2 Type R leaking roof + spare tyre well *NON SUN-ROOF*

2 years back the bonnet of my DC2 Integra Type-R wasn't latched properly and flew up on the highway.

Ever since then I've been facing many different problems as a result, mostly damage to the body.

I've given my car to a few body shops who weren't able to sort the leak and stuffed it up even more by concealing the rust with fibreglass fillers,
rather than cutting the rust out. Running out of options and the leaks have been getting worse.

Currently, I am trying to fix a water leak from the roof which took some impact when the bonnet flew up.
I've taken the roof carpet out of the interior and have discovered a lot of condensation throughout the roof,
as well as water droplets and rust on the rear side of the roof.

I attempted to find a temporary solution to stop the car flooding while it was parked up, and used silicone to try seal the leaking areas, however this did not hold up.
I'm unsure how bad the rust has eaten the roof, I'm really hoping I can still save the car otherwise I will need to get rid of it as running out of space.

There's also another leak in the spare tyre area, the water fills through each of the side channels above the rear tyres, and eventually overflows and drops to the center of the boot.
I have been unable to pinpoint exactly how the water has gotten in.

Hoping someone can provide me their knowledge and experiences with fixing a leaky car in similar conditions to this.

Thanks much appreciated.

[ROOF OVERALL]

[ROOF OVERALL]

[REAR SIDE OF ROOF LEAK]

[REAR SIDE ROOF LEAK]

[REAR SIDE ROOF LEAK]

[REAR SIDE ROOF LEAK]

[REAR SIDE ROOF LEAK]

[SIDE OF SPARE TYRE WELL LEAK]

[REAR SEATS - THIS IS WHERE THE WATER FROM REAR OF ROOF DRIPS TO]

Last edited by 4g63boost; 06-04-2018 at 04:48 PM.
Old 06-03-2018, 07:10 PM
I shoot brides

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: DC2 Type R leaking roof + spare tyre well *NON SUN-ROOF*

Sucks about the roof and rust
On the roof, could the water be getting in through the water squirter?

My trunk was filling a bit with water after washes. Culprit was the neoprene-like gasket behind the tail lights. I bought some new thicker ones that Detroit Muscle Technologies makes and sells on ebay. No more leaks & seeps now.

y shi - whose punchlist on 234 is getting shorter and shorter

Old 06-04-2018, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by yoshi234
Sucks about the roof and rust
On the roof, could the water be getting in through the water squirter?

My trunk was filling a bit with water after washes. Culprit was the neoprene-like gasket behind the tail lights. I bought some new thicker ones that Detroit Muscle Technologies makes and sells on ebay. No more leaks & seeps now.

y shi - whose punchlist on 234 is getting shorter and shorter

Hey.
Thanks for the reply!

I'm unsure which water squirters you talk off regarding the roof leak, I'll look around again.

The leak in the boot, I wish it was the tail light gasket but the water is filling through both the side channels above the rear wheels.
Unsure how it is getting in, have tried everything to source the leak, including watering down the car but getting no drips inside.

Have reorganized the images and labelled.

Cheers.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4g63boost
Hey.
Thanks for the reply!

I'm unsure which water squirters you talk off regarding the roof leak, I'll look around again.
I think he means if your R came with a rear screen wash option(which IIRC all non JDM ones did?).

The leak in the boot, I wish it was the tail light gasket but the water is filling through both the side channels above the rear wheels.
Unsure how it is getting in, have tried everything to source the leak, including watering down the car but getting no drips inside.
I was that soldier 4G, had the exact same problem and location of water . Tried the hose test and couldn't see and leaks, but a couple of days of rainy weather and I had fish pond in the back. Like yourself I couldn't figure how those gaskets were the source. But they were. At least in my case. I changed to those much thicker eBay gaskets and the leaks stopped. The rear light design and housing is a pretty crap one. It's near built to leak/hold water behind the light module. I remember taking one off to find a pool of water that ran out from behind it. Tighten the mounting bolts well, but not too tight as that can also crush the gasket and lead to small leaks. It's a bit of a balancing act I found. Other entry points can be the various bolts on the rear boot/trunk wall, the jacking point another if the factory beaded seal was sloppily applied, though this fills the spare wheel well and doesn't leave water in the side channels. The rear of the Teg chassis can be a bit of a sieve when it comes to leaks. And that's before the various holes/design flaws that can let water in up front...
Old 07-19-2018, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ****
I think he means if your R came with a rear screen wash option(which IIRC all non JDM ones did?).

I was that soldier 4G, had the exact same problem and location of water . Tried the hose test and couldn't see and leaks, but a couple of days of rainy weather and I had fish pond in the back. Like yourself I couldn't figure how those gaskets were the source. But they were. At least in my case. I changed to those much thicker eBay gaskets and the leaks stopped. The rear light design and housing is a pretty crap one. It's near built to leak/hold water behind the light module. I remember taking one off to find a pool of water that ran out from behind it. Tighten the mounting bolts well, but not too tight as that can also crush the gasket and lead to small leaks. It's a bit of a balancing act I found. Other entry points can be the various bolts on the rear boot/trunk wall, the jacking point another if the factory beaded seal was sloppily applied, though this fills the spare wheel well and doesn't leave water in the side channels. The rear of the Teg chassis can be a bit of a sieve when it comes to leaks. And that's before the various holes/design flaws that can let water in up front...

yep mine leaks in the trunk. My car 98 gsr b18c5 driving to work on highway just turned off and would not start again till it was dead it somehow started I drove to work and wouldn’t start after no matter what. Checked the fuel pump connector under the rear seat 7 pin connector and it was a big green ball of corrosion. Went to scrap yard cut it off another integra and worked great since. I would love a link to the Good gaskets the thick ones you guys say since there’s still water coming in and I’m very sure it’s from there but can’t ever find it coming in. Please let me know. Thanks
Old 07-19-2018, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Krazy613
yep mine leaks in the trunk. My car 98 gsr b18c5 driving to work on highway just turned off and would not start again till it was dead it somehow started I drove to work and wouldn’t start after no matter what. Checked the fuel pump connector under the rear seat 7 pin connector and it was a big green ball of corrosion. Went to scrap yard cut it off another integra and worked great since. I would love a link to the Good gaskets the thick ones you guys say since there’s still water coming in and I’m very sure it’s from there but can’t ever find it coming in. Please let me know. Thanks
I had the same issue, except it fried my ecu
Old 07-22-2018, 03:59 PM
I shoot brides

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

For those that are looking to buy the thicker taillight gasket, they are made by Detroit Muscle. I got them here on ebay. If link doesn't work, just do a search for Detroit Muscle.

y shi - who is in recovery mode after 2 wks in Florida heat & humidity
Old 07-23-2018, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GreatWave
I had the same issue, except it fried my ecu
the car had some electrical issues when I bought it but only when it rained and the odd time sometimes and it fried my tuned p61 when the b20v was in the car.that one fried but the stock one we found the water under the back seat so probably saved the stock p72. That really sucked the motor pulled really good then. So I have a stock p72 now.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:07 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

I think yoshi is talking about the rear hatch glass squirter.

I'd say start with trunk and work your way to the front. Start with yoshi's recommendation on the tail light gaskets, hose down the hatch while someone is inside with a flashlight.