Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions
Old 03-25-2015, 10:50 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

troubleshooting: Bad Starter, Solenoid, or battery?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default troubleshooting: Bad Starter, Solenoid, or battery?

Not too long ago I replaced my alternator since it was failing. Since replaced, on occasion instead of turning over when i turn the ignition, i get a single "click" instead.

I had thought it was a bad battery, as everytime I would attach a battery booster, it would start right up.

But over the last 2 times I've attached the booster, it did not seem to help. It would just "click" once each time i turn the ignition. the starter didnt seem to even want to turn over. if I turn the ignition maybe 12-15 times, the car would turn over just fine.

Anyone have any hunches? i'm going to get the battery replaced anyhow since of the faulty alternator issue before, but it would be nice to know whether to look at the solenoid or the starter.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:46 AM
Daisy... Daisy...

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: troubleshooting: Bad Starter, Solenoid, or battery?

Perhaps the actual starter motor is failing.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:02 AM
FSAE

I dropped my starter a couple years ago, and mine does the same thing.

Just like you, I originally thought it was the battery. Kept a trickle charger on the car, and the problem still there.

I'm assuming the solenoid is bad, just haven't gotten around to replacing it yet.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turn the key as to start it, when it does the single click, have someone lightly smack the starter with a hammer. If it starts, then it's just the plunger in the starter...so you would need a starter or at least to rebuild it. A completely dead starter motor will most likely kill your battery in a short amount of time too.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ive been having the same issues as the OP...except my car starts every time i use the remote starter to start the car....
also the problem is worse when i try to start it in the morning after its been sitting overnight. it has always been bothering me and i never got around to figuring out what was causing the problem.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it's the starter contacts. they're very easy to replace and only cost about $10. I just did mine. Just remove the cover near the battery positive terminal (three screws), remove the plunder with spring, you'll see the contacts under the plunger,there is two contacts, both are removed by undoing the nuts holding the b+ terminals. you can get new contacts at a auto supply store or starter shop.You will need to bring your old contacts as a sample Make sure to clean the contact ring on the plunger before reassembling the stater.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i'm not sure if im allowed to post this link but it has pretty good instructions on how to replace contacts on a denso starter
http://www.startercontacts.com/
when you get to the webpage check out the installation instructions in the top left
Old 05-19-2013, 11:07 PM
Painfully Stupid

So mine just made a LOUD grinding noise today, two days after a rebuilt motor was installed. Only did it once and it sounded like hell. Anybody know exactly what that is? After I turned the car off and back on it went away.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you hold the key in the on position instead of letting it go? If so, then it was you grinding against your flywheel.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:42 AM
Painfully Stupid

Originally Posted by shifts
Did you hold the key in the on position instead of letting it go? If so, then it was you grinding against your flywheel.
No not quite that noise. It was a clicking/grinding noise while I was starting it normally, and the noise continued after the car was running just not as loud. Then it stopped and I walked away and left it running, then heard it get real loud again so I ran over and shut it off. Waiting about a minute and started normal. Hasn't happened since in the past ten starts.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am having almost the same exact problem and I cant figure it out. I turn the key and the starter just clicks. I have taken the following steps so far.

1. Cleaned battery posts/connections and fully charged battery (Optima Yellow Top)

2. Tried with the carger connected on 50 amp jump start.

3. Turned the motor over several times with a breaker bar.

4. Removed the starter and solenoind assembly and brought it to Pep Boys to be tested. Tested good in all areas. Even got the little print out with the test results, all good.

5. Cleaned the starter assembly and all the contacts, reinstalled. Tripple checked connections to make sure all is tight and secure.

6. Checked ground between starter and chassis, 0.1 ohms resistance, good ground.

7. Checked the switch on the cluch pedal with a meter, switch is good.

I'm at a loss and dont even know what to check next. Of note: I have recently had the transmission out and know without doubt that the flywheel and clutch assembly are in good working order. Really hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks!
Old 11-14-2013, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it just "clicks", have someone gently tap it with a hammer while you are holding the key in the "start" position.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:54 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by integrainside
I am having almost the same exact problem and I cant figure it out. I turn the key and the starter just clicks. I have taken the following steps so far.

1. Cleaned battery posts/connections and fully charged battery (Optima Yellow Top)

4. Removed the starter and solenoind assembly and brought it to Pep Boys to be tested. Tested good in all areas. Even got the little print out with the test results, all good.

5. Cleaned the starter assembly and all the contacts, reinstalled. Tripple checked connections to make sure all is tight and secure.

6. Checked ground between starter and chassis, 0.1 ohms resistance, good ground.

I'm at a loss and dont even know what to check next. Of note: I have recently had the transmission out and know without doubt that the flywheel and clutch assembly are in good working order. Really hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks!
Did you ever find out what the main problem was? i have the exact same issues going on in my em2
Old 10-03-2014, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

ignition switch?

Starting Problems
Old 05-31-2016, 06:34 PM
Trial User

I heard the contacts in the steering column can go bad and need cleaned. I am going to try tomorrow and I will let everyone know
Old 06-06-2016, 03:18 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by k20doodings
Did you ever find out what the main problem was? i have the exact same issues going on in my em2
Old 06-06-2016, 03:21 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by k20doodings

I have the same prob had battery n starter tested both good but bought new starter anyway. Even the new one clicks. I recently dropped motor to change rear seal. Car was running fine bf. Any advice would help. My engine not locked up battery fully charged everyone keeps telling me bad connection not turning starter over. Im a female any advice would help please
Old 06-06-2016, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Aommag123456
Im a female any advice would help please
LOL Bustin' out the female card.

Try posting in the tech/misc. section. There's more people there who might be able to help you. Did you try the suggestions listed in here? If not might want to start there.
Old 06-08-2016, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

bad thermostat housing ground? remove and clean dont just eyeball lol.
Old 06-08-2016, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^^
Old 06-10-2016, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

uNF$@#! never came back after that incident RiP
Old 01-08-2021, 08:31 PM
Trial User

[QUOTE=integrainside;49294883]I am having almost the same exact problem and I cant figure it out. I turn the key and the starter just clicks. I have taken the following steps so far.

I'm at a loss and dont even know what to check next. Of note: I have recently had the transmission out and know without doubt that the flywheel and clutch assembly are in good working order. Really hoping someone can point

well when you take a starter out to have it tested at a auto parts store the chances are its gonna always test good. The reason is because when its in ur car the starter is under a load but with it out its not so it will test good. The way you can tell is when the guy goes to test it watch the gear when the start kicks out and if it bounces back and forth than starter is bad.