Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Tein Flex on the Type-R... my thoughts and a possible problem (long)

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2004, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tein Flex on the Type-R... my thoughts and a possible problem (long)

Okay, now before I get ragged on for buying Tein Flex instead of some $2500 suspension setup, please understand my reasoning first. This is my daily driver, if I wanted a truely "race" suspension I would have done a custom setup like I have on my race car. Secondly, while on paper you would think the spring rates are the suck (9k/4k), once again it is a daily driver, and the lightweight rear springs assist in a pretty comfortable ride. And really the bottom line, they were very affordable, I got mine for a little over $1200 shipped.

Daily use impressions: First of all, installation was a snap, took about 2 hours, and there were no problems. The dual-perch thing is sweet, allowing you to raise and lower the car without changing the spring perch which would affect spring pre-load. The 16-way adjustable dampening/rebound is nice, and you can really alter the cars behavior in less than a minute, which is just plain cool. Full soft is about like stock, and full stiff is pretty rough. You can of course stiffen the rear more than the front if you want to induce more oversteer (though at the track I had a bit of a problem with this, see below). Only thing I need to do now is get a camber kit so I can preserve tire life, as I'm at about 1-finger gap right now.

My impressions from the track: Disclaimer: yes, I know that the ITR suspension was handed down from the gods and you should never mess with it, and yes it is very well put together for stock suspension, but please, just about any good aftermarket suspension is going to handle better. The Tein Flex is a good example. It's not what I would pick for a race-only car, but it is fine for doing light track days. I went to the track this past weekend and played a lot with the dampening to see where I got the best feel. I realized immediately I was not getting the rotation I was used to, and tried changing the dampening, but never quite got as much oversteer as I wanted. The car did feel good, but seemed to not lift-throttle oversteer as much as I am used to, which helps in getting the car to rotate in some really tight corners. I'm sure this is because of the 9k/4k rates, which could easily be changed by replacing the rear springs with something closer to the fronts (you could go higher in the rear, but that's not what I want for the street). And I think part of the understeer was simply because the car is stiffer, has less body roll, and generally allowed me to enter corners at much higher speeds. I believe this in turn created even more of a "need" for oversteer then with the stock suspension. I was having a great time, but admittedly was a bit frustrated with the less rotation the car exhibited. But in the end, I was blown away when I got a print-out of my lap-times: nearly SIX seconds faster then before. Six seconds, that's huge for changing nothing else on the car! I'm sure some stiffer rates in the rear would net faster times, but at the moment I'm happy.

But, and this is a BIG but: When leaving the track, without the noise of the engine at WOT and no helmet on, I noticed a sound when going over bumps/dips that had NOT been there before (I've had the suspension only about 3 weeks now). The best way to describe it is to imagine if you had the shock in your hand, and you were able to rapidly compress the piston and hear a "pssssst" sound. It appears to be coming from all four corners, as I slowly went back and forth over some speed bumps in the office parking lot this week listening for it. Go up, go down, PSSSST! PSSST! It seems to make the most noise compressing then rebounding. My first thought was that I somehow damaged the suspension at the track as it did not do this before. I went back and read the Tein manual over and over again, and even found a thread about it on here. Yes, I was adjusting the dampening correctly. Starting at full-stiff, then backing off, counter-clockwise, not to exceed 16 clicks towards soft. At the track I was anywhere from 3-10 clicks from stiff as I tried different setups. So what the hell happened? The sound is loud, I can hear it over the stereo and with full interior in my car. The sound isn't made over small bumps, only large bumps, or in dips where the car really compresses/rebounds. Anyone have any ideas? I haven't had a chance to try and call Tein USA support yet.

So anyhow, aside from this problem that may make me ditch Tein all together depending on the outcome, LOL, overall I'm very pleased with the suspension. For the price, for mostly daily driving, with light track use, I'm pretty happy.
Old 11-25-2004, 12:03 PM

Default Re: Tein Flex on the Type-R... my thoughts and a possible problem (uncleben)

great write up! Now to address youre problem with the PSST PSST noise, i also have tein flexes and when i first heard that sound i was really worried. I spoke with someone from their main office in so cal and they said that the noise was normal and just the nature of the beast. BTW what click are you on on the front and back and did you adjust your spring preload at all?
Old 11-25-2004, 02:34 PM

Default Re: Tein Flex on the Type-R... my thoughts and a possible problem (vtecnik)

Very nice write up.

I was looking into the Tein Flex for my ITR come December.

It seems as if they would be a pretty good choice considering my car is a daily driver and it will have minimal track use at this time due to college.

The only thing I am concerned with is the the spring rates. A buddy of mine is running them and wished they were a little higher.

I was looking into the memory fab coilovers which are right around the same price but it doesnt seem like many people are running them.

Anyways, hope you get your problem figured out.
Old 11-25-2004, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Tein Flex on the Type-R... my thoughts and a possible problem (xmilanoredsix)

PSSST PSSST? You sure you dont have airbags in there?

I have TEIN FLEX as well and I do not hear those noises. My car is also gutted so the sounds would be more noticeable.
Old 11-25-2004, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tein Flex on the Type-R... my thoughts and a possible problem

vtecnik: did you hear the noise immediately after installing them, or later? (if later, how much later?)

migs: Have you ever driven your car hard on a road course? Just wondering if this was a result of excessive stress as it was not doing it before going to the track.

xmilanoredsix: The spring rate was my only issue. And I was confused that the lower-end SS coilovers (that are not available for the ITR iirc) had HIGHER rear spring rates then the Flex. It would be easy to replace the rear springs though, but would suck to pay extra right off the bat. I wonder if Tein would sell them custom fit so to speak.

So I've got 1 person who's experienced the same thing and Tein told them it was normal, and another who is not. Hmmmm. Anyone else?
Old 11-25-2004, 07:05 PM

Default Re: Tein Flex on the Type-R... my thoughts and a possible problem (uncleben)

I've had my Flex's on since spring of last year, back when i couldn't find a single itr owner on here wh had them. Mine make the psshht noise on bigger dips and potholes/bumps as well and they've done it since i installed them; i'm positive that it's normal. I have no time differences to compare before and after because i only autocrossed a couple times on the stock suspension before getting the Teins, but i can say that they are definately a pretty big improvement over stock, and are a good upgrade for a daily/street driven car with some track driving. I don't daily drive my car, but can't afford to do alot of HPDE's yet, so i mostly drive on the street and at auto-x's. I also had a bit of difficulty getting used to the new spring rates from stock and lack of body roll, but once i got used to it i really liked it. I've done one HPDE with them and they were actually a little too stiff for the track (our track is pretty bumpy and i actually bounce off my seat over a bump at the end of the back-straight, but it's getting repaved for next year). As for the spring rates, Tein chose them for a reason and i think they know alot more about suspension dynamics than most of us. I think the low spring rate was chosen for comfort on the street, but it works pretty well on the track as well ( it's alot like stock handling, just better) I did find that even on the softest setting the ride is noticeably harsher than stock and feels a little underdamped; i usually have it set on 2/3 for the street and 10/13 to 13/16 for auto-x and my one track experience.
Old 11-25-2004, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Never have so that can possibly explain it.
Old 11-26-2004, 03:18 PM

Default Re: Tein Flex on the Type-R... my thoughts and a possible problem (migs)

tein will tell you anything to get you to shut the hell up and go away, i think you should take one of the shocks off and see if it blew out. i am sceptical about these flexs b.c they are so cheap, tein saved $ somewhere in manufacturing so its possible the shocks are not very good.
Old 11-26-2004, 05:56 PM

Default Re: Tein Flex on the Type-R... my thoughts and a possible problem (euclid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by euclid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">tein will tell you anything to get you to shut the hell up and go away, i think you should take one of the shocks off and see if it blew out. i am sceptical about these flexs b.c they are so cheap, tein saved $ somewhere in manufacturing so its possible the shocks are not very good. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Um, yeah..... so i guess mine blew right after i installed them then? And i've done 20 autocrosses and a HPDE with them like that, but couldn't tell, right? I can tell you for sure that the damping in mine are the same as when i got them. Please keep your speculations to yourself and let those with direct experience with this product give their comments.
Old 11-26-2004, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tein Flex on the Type-R... my thoughts and a possible problem (CanadianR)

from the few people i know who have these tein flex things, they dont autocross, nor track. they bought them for the slam feature, and because its tein.

thats being said, ive seen a set of tein flex and im not impressed with their build quality. it looks like a lot of bling.

furthermore, 9k/4k sounds pretty dangerous even for street driving (i.e., if somethings in front of you, and youre trying to avoid it...), let alone tracking/HPDE activities. breaking it down, thats like, 520 ftlb front, 250 in the rear. did you tend to plow alot?

a good test is, next time youre off public roads, get to around 30-40 mph, and shut off the motor while in neutral. if you still hear that sound, its probably the suspension you have on. ... in which case, find out what the issue is.
Old 11-26-2004, 06:28 PM

Default Re: Tein Flex on the Type-R... my thoughts and a possible problem (255.255.255.255)

i just gave my honest opinion on it, i do have personal experience with tein and its products. dont shoot the messenger.

just because you think your shocks are working fine with your car, setup and driving habbits/skill doesnt mean they are and it doesnt automatically suggest that the flex shock in general is well devolped or built.

on that note even the best shocks wear out and need rebuilds, tein is no exception.

and trying to correct understeer with rear shock settings on 9/4k coilovers may prove difficult.
Old 11-26-2004, 07:15 PM

Default Re: Tein Flex on the Type-R... my thoughts and a possible problem (euclid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by euclid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i just gave my honest opinion on it, i do have personal experience with tein and its products. dont shoot the messenger.

just because you think your shocks are working fine with your car, setup and driving habbits/skill doesnt mean they are and it doesnt automatically suggest that the flex shock in general is well devolped or built.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why do you feel that the Flex is an inferior product? Because it's somewhat cheap in price? I seem to recall the RA's being almost the same price as the Flex, so are they not good either? Could you give some reasons why you feel they aren't good quality, other than because they're not expensive?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by euclid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

on that note even the best shocks wear out and need rebuilds, tein is no exception.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I fully realize this, but needing a rebuild after one HPDE is not realistic, unless there was a problem in the first place. The sound he described and the situations where the sound occurs are the same as when i experience them. Another member with the Flex's also stated he hears the sounds as well. The representative he called at Tein USA also said it was normal. Saying that they'll say anything to get rid of him is probably not fact. Can you back that statement up? I have only heard good things about Tein USA's service and customer satisfaction. Have you had a bad experience with Tein or something?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by euclid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
and trying to correct understeer with rear shock settings on 9/4k coilovers may prove difficult. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I will agree that the spring rates don't seem to be the best suited for track driving, but i can assure you that i have no more understeer with the Flex's than i had with the stock suspension. Yes, correcting understeer via damper settings isn't the best way, but i'm sure a larger rear sway bar would help that. I am considering going with an adjustable one in the future, maybe next year when i have more $ available and more experience with the flex's. But it's a good suspension for someone who mostly daily drives their car or has to drive on really crappy public roads (my case) and can't bear to ride on something like the RA's or RE's or BC Race Spec etc. just to be able to enjoy a couple HPDE's a year.
Old 11-26-2004, 07:52 PM

Good write up!! I hope to get Tein Flex soon!!
Old 11-27-2004, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If your going to look into spring rates, I'd call tein first and let them know basically what you want. I was thinking about getting softer spring rates for my RA's, but tein told me I had to get them re-valved and it would cost around the same price I paid for them brandnew. As far as the clicking "Pssst" goes, it's pretty common with some of the lower-end tein coilovers. My friend had the Super Street Damper kit on a RSX. Same problem you are having. Another kid with a basic kit had the same problem. Well I don't know if it might be the same issue your having, but for some reason the top nut on the coilover, between the shock tower comes loose. When they come loose they start making a clicking noise when you turn, go over bumps etc. All we did was put e-clips which stopped the nut from backing off, they haven't had any problems since. Hope I could help! Good luck
Old 11-27-2004, 08:18 AM

Default Re: (JDM Factor)

I have had the TypeFLEX for over a year now and can't complain at all.

As for the noise when you hit big bumps, it's normal. Mine have done it, especially when I go up someone's driveway that has a large curb.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 255.255.255.255 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">from the few people i know who have these tein flex things, they dont autocross, nor track. they bought them for the slam feature, and because its tein.

thats being said, ive seen a set of tein flex and im not impressed with their build quality. it looks like a lot of bling.

furthermore, 9k/4k sounds pretty dangerous even for street driving (i.e., if somethings in front of you, and youre trying to avoid it...), let alone tracking/HPDE activities. breaking it down, thats like, 520 ftlb front, 250 in the rear. did you tend to plow alot?

a good test is, next time youre off public roads, get to around 30-40 mph, and shut off the motor while in neutral. if you still hear that sound, its probably the suspension you have on. ... in which case, find out what the issue is.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Umm have you ever tracked your car before? Also tell that to all the ITR owners on here who track their cars on STOCK suspension. Also if you knew how our cars are set up, you won't "plow" when trying to avoid an accident. Well that's assuming you know how to drive as well

And as for the spring rates, if you don't like them change them. $100 got me a pair of 12k springs and all I did was put my 9k in the rear. Are my rear shocks blown yet? NO And I have done close to 8 track days like that and the rotation is perfect.

And about the "bling" factor.....you should just shut the hell up. Any fully-adjustable coilover looks the same dumbass. WOW they're green...who gives a ****. And Zeals are anodized blue, and JIC has anodized purple and omnimans are just shiny. Who gives a **** how they look, if they work, they work.
Old 11-27-2004, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tein Flex on the Type-R... my thoughts and a possible problem (255.255.255.255)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 255.255.255.255 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">from the few people i know who have these tein flex things, they dont autocross, nor track. they bought them for the slam feature, and because its tein.</TD></TR></TABLE>

and that relates to me and my post how?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thats being said, ive seen a set of tein flex and im not impressed with their build quality. it looks like a lot of bling.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Please elaborate on what you feel is good build quality and please list each item about the Flex that you saw which let you (a qualified source on coil-over suspension build quality) know that it was poorly built.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">furthermore, 9k/4k sounds pretty dangerous even for street driving (i.e., if somethings in front of you, and youre trying to avoid it...), </TD></TR></TABLE>

You... have... GOT to be kidding. Dangerous? Did you READ my post? They perform great, they only understeer, as I noted, at the limit (8-9/10ths) on the track, and I improved laptimes by lightyears in terms of road course times.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">a good test is, next time youre off public roads, get to around 30-40 mph, and shut off the motor while in neutral. if you still hear that sound, its probably the suspension you have on. ... in which case, find out what the issue is.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Umm, okaaay. I don't need to do a test. Again, if you READ my post, you'd have read where I was at near idle going over speed bumps in a parking lot compressing the suspension to hear the noise. How is this going to help me?

Wait, I just saw your post count, please don't bother answering any of my questions, now I understand your remarks. Thanks anyway.

Old 11-27-2004, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by euclid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">tein will tell you anything to get you to shut the hell up and go away</TD></TR></TABLE>

This has happened to you? Please share your story.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i think you should take one of the shocks off and see if it blew out. </TD></TR></TABLE>

uh yeah, i'm fairly certain it is not "blew out".

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i am sceptical about these flexs b.c they are so cheap, tein saved $ somewhere in manufacturing so its possible the shocks are not very good. </TD></TR></TABLE>

"Sceptical" huh? And how is $1200-1300 cheap? How did they save $$ in manufacturing? They simply don't have the features of some of the higher end units, such as higher valving and separate rebound/dampening adjustment. How does that make the shocks "not very good?"

Geez, I'm starting to remember why I don't ask questions on here lately. I'd rather get no answers at all then a bunch of mindless conjecture from people who don't even have direct experience with the item in question, let alone any real experience period. If I'm wrong, please feel free to cite the reasons why you're blindly opinionated comments are not just that.

To everyone else that made useful comments, thank you..
Old 11-27-2004, 09:55 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 255.255.255.255 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">from the few people i know who have these tein flex things, they dont autocross, nor track. they bought them for the slam feature, and because its tein.

a good test is, next time youre off public roads, get to around 30-40 mph, and shut off the motor while in neutral. if you still hear that sound, its probably the suspension you have on. ... in which case, find out what the issue is.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wow, how did i miss this intelligent reply? You didn't notice the post directly before yours from someone who DOES do alot of autocrosses with the Flex's? I won't restate what uncleben did about the poor build quality, suffice it to say you don't know what you're talking about. Dangerous spring rates eh? Yeah, Tein put those rates on to make the car dangerous, i'm sure it had nothing to do with giving decent ride quality for our shitty NA roads. And Tein IS the number one suspension provider in Japan (they sell more than all other companies combined) so i'm sure they have some knowhow when it comes to designing a coilover. But maybe that's the BLING factor that lets them sell so many eh? Is it the green paint or the black teflon cating that really caught your eye and said BLING? Incidentally the black coating was put on to prevent rust and corrosion of the perch/thread area because HA's etc encountered these problems in the snowbelt areas of NA. Also, your little test would do nothing to cl;ear up the question, as they don't make the noise everytime you turn. If you had actually read the initial post you would have seen that they only make the noise going over large bumps or dips, ie) speedbumps.
Old 11-27-2004, 12:55 PM
.RJ

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by uncleben &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This has happened to you? Please share your story.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

He's just bitter.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=746640
Old 11-27-2004, 01:05 PM

Default Re: Tein Flex on the Type-R... my thoughts and a possible problem (.RJ)

im bitter b/c i dont have free time to acumulate 23,000 posts.

spend 1300$ on whatever color gets you hard.
Old 11-27-2004, 01:08 PM
.RJ

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by euclid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im bitter b/c i dont have free time to acumulate 23,000 posts.</TD></TR></TABLE>

nice try, jackass. About half of them were actually accumulated

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">spend 1300$ on whatever color gets you hard.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'll take Koni 3011's for $1600, Alex.
Old 11-27-2004, 01:12 PM

orange would suit you much better, then you could own everyone

im only up to black with blue i feel vulnerable
Old 11-27-2004, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by uncleben &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Umm, okaaay. I don't need to do a test. Again, if you READ my post, you'd have read where I was at near idle going over speed bumps in a parking lot compressing the suspension to hear the noise. How is this going to help me?

Wait, I just saw your post count, please don't bother answering any of my questions, now I understand your remarks. Thanks anyway.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wait, I just reread youre using a 9k/4k setup. Don't bother posting in the itr fourm.
Now I understand why you insist on extremely hostile remarks to a constructive thread.

Someone tells you what you dont want to hear after spending 1200 on a crappy setup, opposed to actually buying a decent setup with decent spring rates and you break down and start to cry

use whatever you want to use. just dont get angry at the world and become a defense little girl when you dont hear "my god...hes using tein flexs...hes the man"

and as for build quality... yes, they really are substandard compared to the other setups tein makes. but of course, you can ignore this if you like. im just sharing what i've seen on someone elses setup. apparently you have some followers in here swearing by these things.
Old 11-27-2004, 01:35 PM
.RJ

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 255.255.255.255 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wait, I just reread youre using a 9k/4k setup. Don't bother posting in the itr fourm.... use whatever you want to use. just dont get angry at the world and become a defense little girl when you dont hear "my god...hes using tein flexs...hes the man"</TD></TR></TABLE>

Stop being a jackass
Old 11-27-2004, 02:25 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .RJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Stop being a jackass</TD></TR></TABLE>

23,488.... and counting

why dont you start making an effort to participate in threads rather than trying to flex your moderator muscle.

this is an SS seup with threaded lower perch, stop trying to play it off like tein only produces maximum performace ****.

Quick Reply: Tein Flex on the Type-R... my thoughts and a possible problem (long)