Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Story of my R (01-0460): We were meant to be

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 12:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Story of my R (01-0460): We were meant to be

What's up HT!

I'd like to share a story about my R. You might've seen my theft story in another thread but I'd like to share more than that...

I grew up in Southern California where the import scene was hot. I was always a Honda fan from day one, even as my friends phased out of Honda's in favor of luxury cars. At the height of the import scene here, while everyone else was getting EGs, EKs, and EMs, I got a CD chassis lol. My first car was a 1994 Honda Accord Coupe EX 5 speed. She was fun but not fast. For whatever reason, I loved the Accords. I had basic bolt-ons, lowered her on Eibach springs with Tokico adjustable shocks, and had AP seats in them from an S2000. As I got older and the import scene shifted (thanks Fast and Furious for ruining it), I got over it. Though I still owned the Accord, I eventually acquired an E36 M3 from my brother who just picked up an NSX. I drove it for a couple of years but wasn't in love with it. I wasn't connected to the car and decided to move on. I sold the E36 and continued driving the Accord as a daily but I was over this one too. This was back in 2007 and at this point I decided to own a one of Honda's legendary vehicles, I wanted an Integra Type-R.

The first one I looked at was a 2000 Nighthawk Black Pearl beauty located at a Mitsubishi dealer. This was the color I wanted, though she was not stock at all. It was funny how the Mitsubishi salesman was pushing me to buy an Acura. They asked for $21k and I had them go down to $19k. After some deliberation, I decided I was NOT going to pay $19k for an R that wasn't mint nor stock (I wanted stock). I passed on it and kept searching. Next I saw a listing for a Phoenix Yellow R down in San Diego. Even though this wasn't the color I wanted, I had a buyer for my Accord and sold it immediately. I was car less but I had extra cash for down payment lol. At this point it was now or never. A friend drove me down to San Diego to check out the R. Even though I didn't see heR yet, I was not planning on coming back empty handed. I was informed by the dealer that they only had the R for a couple of days. After checking the history and carfax, I wasn't going to let anyone else take it. She was bone stock sans AEM cold air intake. She was perfect (to me) and I could make her my own. After a test drive I knew she was the one. We made the deal and I got her for $17.7k with 96k miles on heR. She's one of the best investments I've ever made and I have no regrets, even to this day.

I am the 3rd owner and she has been raised in California heR whole life. She has matching VINs and everything is original. There are minor dinks on the car and she is far from perfect. In the 9 years that I've owned heR I racked up 54k miles and she's been stolen twice. You read that right, she was stolen from me two times (story here https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-.../#post50953268). It must be fate but she belongs to me. We were meant to be.

Around 2012 I was commuting to Santa Monica from Orange County daily. I didn't want to add more miles on her so I bought an FB6 Si Sedan with Navi to replace the R as a daily. In the last couple of years, she's been a garage queen and has been in non-op status. I've recently begun to work on her again and started becoming active in this forum, looking for parts and keeping up with the R community. She needs a new paint job (clear coat is coming off in various parts of the car), the clutch is on it's last leg and tire threads are low. She's become my project caR and I'm hoping I can resurrect heR soon. Alright, enough blabbing and how for some pictures! But before that, here's some things that I've added/acquired recently:

DC Sports 4-1 Ceramic Headers
EK/DC Type-R Momo SRS Steering Wheel
IT-R Rear Tower Bar
Type-Rx Pedals
S2000 Antenna
Redline Tuning QuickLIFT hood struts
Vision Technica carbon fiber plug cover
JDM Folding Mirrors (yet to be installed)
Attached Images               

Last edited by porofek; 09-06-2016 at 05:09 PM. Reason: updated part description
Old 08-28-2016, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Story of my R (01-0460): We were meant to be

It does look in pretty good shape! At least much better than ones that are falling apart. It's sweet you are planning on fixing up all the details, and when you get it painted it will be amazing. And maybe repaint valve cover. It could be pretty minty once it's all said and done. I'll let you know if I come across any more Comptech headers. Can't believe it was stolen twice, wow. Amazing you still have heR.
Old 08-28-2016, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Sup dave7! Thanks dude. I spent some time this weekend restoring the front and rear seats using diluted woolite solution and they look much better now! The alcantara still doesn't have that plush feel but they aren't as flat as they use to be. I can't believe how much dirt and grime were in the seats. I do want to repaint the valve color to get that vibrant red back. After I get tags and registration I'll be putting on the Exedy Stage 1 Organic Clutch kit with their lightened flywheel and some new rubbers. I'm so anxious to get heR back on the road. I miss hearing that raw mechanical VTEC at high RPMs! It's just not the same in my FB6.

I'll update this thread as she progresses.
Old 08-28-2016, 11:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lovely looking example. Unreal it was stolen twice Hope you've got crazy levels of security now.