Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

From Austria to Canada - Yellow on yellow rehab

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default From Austria to Canada - Yellow on yellow rehab

You may have seen me post this car in the for sale section, but I really half assed the sale because I didn't really want to sell it. Last week I was able to sell off another car, so I have decided that this winter I will turn this car into as close to showroom condition as I can.
So, lets start with the boring stuff :D

Last year I had been searching the euro for sale sites for a red R. I found a couple but nothing in good enough shape to justify the cost of getting it here.
Then this popped up! A yellow on yellow in Austria. The pics looked good and it had all the history from day 1. Owned by one family from new. All books and keys and well loved. It had 16x,000km on it, but it looked extremely clean.
I called up my buddy in the UK to see if he was up for an adventure, as usual he was! He contacted the seller and found he only spoke German, so he had to get his buddy to call and do the talking. A deal was struck within a few hours.
I wired the money to my buddy the next day. He took his truck and trailer and drove straight from London to Austria with a wad of Euros tucked in each sock, I assume that's where he hid it, not sure :D he was a bit nervous driving across Europe with that much cash on him
He messaged me when he met up with the seller - "Thanks for this mate, going down into an underground garage with 4 big blokes, if they knock me off I will haunt you"
Then a txt with a pic of my new friend

He loaded paid the guys, loaded it up and went straight back to London. he was going to get pics along the way, but he was tired and just wanted to get home.

A pic in his workshop the next day

The seller was really excited that the car was going to the UK for some reason, and had asked for a pic of it in front of an English pub

As part of the deal, my buddy got to keep the aftermarket wheels and he put the stockers on for me and dropped it off at the port (center caps inside the car for safe keeping)

It was going in a shared container to Montreal, then the container was loaded onto a train to Toronto. It took way longer than expected as customs decided to hold the container to almost 2 weeks!
Finally she was released and I was able to pick her up.

And took her home :D

Old 12-06-2017, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: From Austria to Canada - Yellow on yellow rehab

First thing I did was compression test it, sweeeet all good. No need to open her up

Old 12-06-2017, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Step two, order the one yellow specific piece that was missing. Sweet! brand new one, $50 with shipping
http://www.icbmotorsport.com/jdmindc2tyrs.html

I
also washed the seats, I want to have the seats redone to look like new.
I see I can order foam from here, but what do I do about the material?
https://www.capitalseating.co.uk/rep...ters=17m!#-!88
Old 12-06-2017, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

I remember the fs ad. Cool caR! The pic in front of the pub would be great with the oem wheels. Still a unique picture. Your Icb link doesn't show a product just their home page. I really like the mismash of parts on your version.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Glad you decided to keep it Rob. She's a beauty. I should have bought it before you sold your other car. Ha! Not sure how to go about finding the yellow material as it's mostly the "Speed" version that has a completely different material altogether.

Good luck with the resto and please post any progress. That ITR is quite the unicorn.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by stin1
I remember the fs ad. Cool caR! The pic in front of the pub would be great with the oem wheels. Still a unique picture. Your Icb link doesn't show a product just their home page. I really like the mismash of parts on your version.
Oh just the yellow stich shift boot. Was surprised and happy to see they had them!

Thanks, ya it's a LHD JDM car with USDM front end, Honda badges, and UK rear bumper
Old 12-06-2017, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by white rocket
Glad you decided to keep it Rob. She's a beauty. I should have bought it before you sold your other car. Ha! Not sure how to go about finding the yellow material as it's mostly the "Speed" version that has a completely different material altogether.

Good luck with the resto and please post any progress. That ITR is quite the unicorn.
Thanks!! And yes will do
Maybe I can email Recaro and see what they say. has anyone ever restored a set of Recaros?
Old 12-06-2017, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a unicorn. Yellow on yellow. Great story about getting it from Austria.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very cool car!

Originally Posted by zc911
Thanks, ya it's a LHD JDM car with USDM front end, Honda badges, and UK rear bumper
Is it not a EDM LHD in yellow? It's an EDM rear bumper rather than a UK one as the latter has the fog light on the right hand side, front bumper is also EDM(though shared with other markets), as is the silver plug cover. There was definitely a limited run of Swiss market yellow on yellow. Maybe there was similar in Austria or it was brought across the border? It would be interesting to find out and add another local market "special edition".

There was also an Australian market yellow on yellow. So Yellow on Yellow was available in short runs in Japan*, Switzerland(the only LHD examples) and Australia. Maybe we can now add Austria to the mix? Either way that's an extremely rare car you have there and in fantastic condition with it.

*I say short runs as it wasn't a "special edition" JDM colour, but like silver it just wasn't a popular colour option to tick in Japan at the time. Of the Tegs I saw go though Japanese auctions years back when I was looking to buy, yellow and silver were by far the rarest(though oddly silver was very popular in the 4 door DB8, just not in the 2 door). Yellow with yellow Recaros was the rarest of all. I saw yellow with black Recaros(I presume with red stitching), even a couple with red seats.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry I should change my post to - it’s kinda like a...

it it is one of the swiss yellow on yellow cars. It was sold new in Switzerland then moved to Austria. I have all the Swiss paper work.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Then the cool level has been exceeded again.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

haha thanks. I would LOVE to have one of each color in LHD :D I have the hardest one to fine, maybe next year i'll look a LHD red one
Old 12-07-2017, 04:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dave7
This is a unicorn. Yellow on yellow. Great story about getting it from Austria.
Thanks!
Old 12-07-2017, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

haha thanks. I would LOVE to have one of each color in LHD :D I have the hardest one to fine, maybe next year i'll look a LHD red one
If you guys didn't insist on putting the steering wheel on the passenger side you could get all the colours. :D It would be cool though and not a little mad. The best kinda cool. Not so easy these days even if you had the will/daftness/money to do it. Ten years ago I could have sourced White, Black, Red, Yellow, Silver JDM's in a couple of months from Japanese auctions, today it would take significantly longer. Though if I had the will/daftness/money to do something like that I'd personally try to collect an R from each domestic market. So a Canadian one with the red rear seats, an early (or very last of) USDM example, an Australian one in yellow, an EDM(ideally like your Swiss example), a "local" Irish market one in RHD to add to the JDM one I have. I was so tempted to get an Irish one that was up for sale recently. It was going for the equivalent of about 4000 dollars(yep) and went unsold for months. I just didn't have the space and friends and family would have signed me into a happy home if I had... They sold tiny numbers in my neck of the woods and they're nearly all gone, crashed, stolen and burnt out, or went to the UK.

So what are your plans now? Keep it as stock as possible I hope? I'd definitely get covers for the seats. They get dirty with a passing glance. Though every time I see the yellow Recaros I do think my black Recaros must be absolutely filthy. :s
Old 12-07-2017, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ****
If you guys didn't insist on putting the steering wheel on the passenger side you could get all the colours. :D It would be cool though and not a little mad. The best kinda cool. Not so easy these days even if you had the will/daftness/money to do it. Ten years ago I could have sourced White, Black, Red, Yellow, Silver JDM's in a couple of months from Japanese auctions, today it would take significantly longer. Though if I had the will/daftness/money to do something like that I'd personally try to collect an R from each domestic market. So a Canadian one with the red rear seats, an early (or very last of) USDM example, an Australian one in yellow, an EDM(ideally like your Swiss example), a "local" Irish market one in RHD to add to the JDM one I have. I was so tempted to get an Irish one that was up for sale recently. It was going for the equivalent of about 4000 dollars(yep) and went unsold for months. I just didn't have the space and friends and family would have signed me into a happy home if I had... They sold tiny numbers in my neck of the woods and they're nearly all gone, crashed, stolen and burnt out, or went to the UK.

So what are your plans now? Keep it as stock as possible I hope? I'd definitely get covers for the seats. They get dirty with a passing glance. Though every time I see the yellow Recaros I do think my black Recaros must be absolutely filthy. :s

hahah :D I dunno why you guys put the steering wheel on the passenger side

At theJDM auctions you can source a white one all day long, the other colors not so much

I'd be good with adding a red LHD one, a black one and a white one, years don't really matter too much. Black and white are the easiest, red not so much. Ah to dream :D
Old 12-07-2017, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

One of the coolest "how I got my R" stories I've ever read. You're lucky you got a friend across the pond who did the trek for you! Such a beauty! I would love to own this car!
Old 12-07-2017, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by porofek
One of the coolest "how I got my R" stories I've ever read. You're lucky you got a friend across the pond who did the trek for you! Such a beauty! I would love to own this car!
Thanks!
I just read your post on restoring your black one, you did an awesome job!
Old 12-08-2017, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks!
I just read your post on restoring your black one, you did an awesome job!
You sure that was me? I own a PY ITR not a black one
Old 12-08-2017, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Rare find Is it possible the car had a Belgian owner as well?
An acquaintance of mine sold his Swiss PY to someone in Austria in 2015.
Old 12-14-2017, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Step two, order the one yellow specific piece that was missing. Sweet! brand new one, $50 with shipping
http://www.icbmotorsport.com/jdmindc2tyrs.html

I
also washed the seats, I want to have the seats redone to look like new.
I see I can order foam from here, but what do I do about the material?
https://www.capitalseating.co.uk/rep...ters=17m!#-!88
zc, i would never recover these yellow recaros. Either leave em OG and "worn" or sell them for heaps of money (most likely 3-4k USD) and then cover a pair of black ones in yellow. A pair of OG yellow seats are a unicorn item, and recovering them will destroy a lot of their value. just my thoughts.
Old 12-14-2017, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Are the yellow bolster covers even available? I would consider new bolster foams but keeping the original yellow material, and a good clean.