Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Something is seriously WRONG with my dyno plot, can you guess what?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2003, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Something is seriously WRONG with my dyno plot, can you guess what?

In case you didn't notice...I'm running VERY rich, which caused me to lost out on 14whp peak, and god knows how much in the midrange.

http://www.imagestation.com/pi...g.jpg

Well...after trying to figure it all out...I found what it was, the damn car was running so cold(<170F) the ECU kept it in the cold start fuel enrichment tables, meaning that the ECU was adding in gobs of extra fuel. Reason - Spoon thermostat, Mugen thermoswitch, and a fan on the radiator. I was helping Bob-DC2 with a dyno day that he hosted at a new dyno place, so I ran the car...and for $30 I found out that the car runs damn cold. I've borrowed Bob-DC2's datalogger box, and I've been running around with the datalogger running...took me a whole 35 minutes of driving my commute until the water temp went over the 170 degree mark that's needed to stop cold start fuel enrichment.

At least nothing is broken, and the car runs great...as long as it's been warmed up I guess that I might just pull the thermostat at the end of the summer and go back to the stock unit with the Mugen thermoswitch.

Here is how I figured it out:

http://www.imagestation.com/pi...g.jpg

Cliff notes - went to dyno, car ran horribly rich, lost lots of power, found out that it was running too cold by using Hondata datalogger
Old 07-01-2003, 12:19 PM

Default Re: Something is seriously WRONG with my dyno plot, can you guess what? (Austin)

ooooooh.. aaahhhh...
Old 07-01-2003, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Something is seriously WRONG with my dyno plot, can you guess what? (Austin)

Good detective work.

I'm surpirsed that it takes 35 minutes to warm up your car. I don't think the thermostat would lower the operating temp that much.
Old 07-01-2003, 12:31 PM
New User

My *** dyno always tell me my car is slower with the Spoon thermostat installed. I pulled it out and put the stock one back on, the car feel so much better now.
Old 07-01-2003, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Something is seriously WRONG with my dyno plot, can you guess what? (Cosworth)

good stuff. thats the kind of stuff that is good to know and how you really learn about whats going on with a motor and how the ECU works. Are you running a stock ECU?

FWIW, when I was running really rich (about 10:1 in higher RPM), I lost over 20 peak HP and a crap load of torque as well. We leaned it out down to about 12:1 in those same RPM and picked up those 20 HP again. These motors are very picky and there is a very fine line when it comes to fueling.
Old 07-01-2003, 12:35 PM
I said I don't want a title!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, this is an interesting problem indeed. Gets me to wondering if my car is having the same problems.
Old 07-01-2003, 12:50 PM

Good thing you posted this.. I had a thermostat problem for sometime now where the car would always run really cool. Thanks austin.
Old 07-01-2003, 12:52 PM
I said I don't want a title!

Default Re: Something is seriously WRONG with my dyno plot, can you guess what? (Mr.Integra)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr.Integra &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Good thing you posted this.. I had a thermostat problem for sometime now where the car would always run really cool. Thanks austin.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The car is supposed to run cooler--but who knew that the thermostat would make the car run too cool and the ECU to compensate by dumping the fuel.

Does anyone make a 180degree thermostat for the R? Maybe autozone or something?
Old 07-01-2003, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

remember the thread where some people swore that you could never run the engine with too good of a cooling system? I wonder if those tools still agree with that.
Old 07-01-2003, 01:17 PM

Default Re: Something is seriously WRONG with my dyno plot, can you guess what? (FizzleDaKlown)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Austin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Something is seriously WRONG with my dyno plot, can you guess what? </TD></TR></TABLE>

yes, there is obviously a lack of boost in that dyno plot. Looks like a seriously crappy situation. I would get that fixed immediately if I were you.
Old 07-01-2003, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Something is seriously WRONG with my dyno plot, can you guess what? (Johnny Tran)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Johnny Tran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yes, there is obviously a lack of boost in that dyno plot. Looks like a seriously crappy situation. I would get that fixed immediately if I were you. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Bwahhahahah...take that out on a track in the 110 degree Buttonwillow heat for 30 minutes, wonder how long before I get a few meteorite fragments from the pistons But truthfully...I don't like boost for the type of driving that I do, and if I had boost I would have the inclination to tweek with something waaaayy too much, as if I don't already have enough dyno runs Boost isn't for me, or my driving requirements...maybe on a different car, at a different time....an SC-61 is looking pretty nice