Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Is Skip Barber worth the $600-$1600 price tag?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2001, 07:33 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Skip Barber worth the $600-$1600 price tag?

Is it really worth the money to pay $635-$835 for one day, and $1235 - $1595 for the two day? I agree driving school is a great idea, and my friend and I are planning on attending. I'm just wondering if
a) are these normal prices?
b) is it worth the $$$
c) should we do the 1 or 2 day?
Old 11-05-2001, 07:36 PM
Oracle of GDD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Is Skip Barber worth the $600-$1600 price tag? (Xerzex)

I was a big fan of this idea during the summer. But then I started doing track days once I got back to school, and I realized that they are a really good bang for the buck. Pay about 120-150 bucks per day, get 3 or 4 runs, hopefully get good instructors...Im not saying you wouldnt get more experience and instruction at a Skip Barber school, but it may not be worth the extra cost.
Old 11-05-2001, 07:44 PM

For that price I am assuming they supply the car...

If thats the case, no thanks..I would rather learn MY car instead and for $1600 I could do 8 track days and have instructors there the whole time If I needed.
Old 11-05-2001, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think the one day is no better than doing autocrosses on your own with help of your local pro's/good drivers.

I think the only class that is worth it is the one with the little formula cars. But I think that is the three day class. Two friends of mine did that class (3day with formula cars) and they loved it. but, they said the other classes aren't worth it.

Remember though, I think the best thought on driving schools are always a school with a car you will be racing/driving fast regularly. You can learn how to handle a formula car well, but it may not help you on the street/autocross with your car.
Old 11-05-2001, 07:53 PM
Oracle of GDD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Is Skip Barber worth the $600-$1600 price tag? (davidnyc)

They supply the cars (Neon, Dakota pickup, Viper) but you can also use your own car. Plus they only give you 2 autox laps in the Viper if you are in the top whatever-percent of your class. The 2-day driving school is mighty expensive, but the 3-day racing school is like 3,000 bux. That one is worth it if you have the $$, but if youre looking at the driving school, you might be better off doing a CarGuys event or something in your own car.
Old 11-05-2001, 11:42 PM
RMR
New User

I think all Skip Barber programs are worth it because of the high quality of instruction you get, the well-designed course programs, the well-maintained vehicles they use, and the opportunity to be in the best tracks in the country. It is expensive, but well worth it if you can afford it.

The Driving School is good for those who just wish to improve their street driving. The reason why you use their cars is that most people are hesitant to push their own cars to the limit. When you use their cars, you do not have to worry about “abusing” them all day.

I have seen these classes taking place in the Paddocks of Laguna Seca during the races or practice sessions and they really make you push it to the limit. Lots of locking up off the brakes and spins all day. If you used your own car, you could flat spot your tires at the end of the day or maybe even over-rev your engine. I believe there is no liability, if you damage one of their cars in these courses.

I highly recommend the 3-day Racing School instead. It is around $3,000, but you get 3 days in a Formula car, which is an experience worth it by itself. Once you have driven a formula car, no street type car will ever feel as good, including Ferraris. The Formula Dodge’s (with street tires) they use in the school is capable of lapping Laguna Seca faster than any street car, including Vipers and Ferraris.

The Racing School is more geared for those who want to race or drive on the track. The instruction is more advanced and you get many laps around a famous race track. Even if you do not plan on racing, the principles learned are easily transferred to street driving, autocross, and track driving any car.

Having no liability in this course enables you to push harder than you would with your own street car, especially on a track like Laguna Seca where there are walls all around. Also no risk of damaging or wear & tear on your street car, which could add up if you over-rev your engine.

In the formula car, you can feel the road and car much better than any street car, so you learn quicker what driver inputs to do in any given situation. The formula car reacts quicker and the sensation of speed is faster since you are lower to the ground and you are outside in the wind.

Thus, when you get into a street car and do laps around a track, everything will feel much slower enabling you to react quicker, which then allows you to go faster. The formula car is also stronger and safer in case you hit the wall or other cars.

To get the full experience, after the 3-day school, I recommend the 2-day Advanced Racing School. You get to use the new Formula Dodge R/T 2000, which is a bigger car with front & rear wings, a more powerful engine with a sequential gearbox, and racing slicks.

This is the same car used in the Races and all Advanced Racing activities. You get more advanced instruction and more laps around the best tracks in the country. This cost around $2,000 for 2-days. This course has a $4,000 deductible liability.

If you are on a budget, there are many clubs that have Driver’s schools wherein you drive your own car. Some of them have good Instructors, but some of them have guys that are really not qualified to be Instructors. Those guys are only Instructors for the free track time. You need to seek out the good ones. These clubs are good for cheap extra track time and it will take a lot of practice to become good.

It would be better, if you do a few of these track days before you go to Skip Barber, so when you do, you will get the most out of the Skip Barber experience. Like learning how to heal & toe, threshold brake, etc. before you go. After you attend Skip Barber and return to these club track days, you will find that your lap times and confidence has improved dramatically.

BTW, in case you do not know, my 19-year-old son started in the 3-day school last August 2000 and has been racing with Skip Barber for a year now and has improved dramatically through the year. I wouldn’t have put him in Skip Barber, if I didn’t think it was worth it. The steeper learning curve in Skip Barber will always make you a better driver since it pushes you to your limits. Here is a link to a recent article about my son at Skip Barber’s website:

http://www.skipbarber.com/news/article.asp?AID=763

If you are seriously interested in attending any Skip Barber courses, call my Account Rep at Skip Barber and tell her I recommended you to her. She may be able to give you a discount, especially if you book the “5-day Racing School” which is the 3-day and the 2-day advanced racing school.

Her name is: Kerri Farr - (800) 221-1131

I hope that helps. If anyone is in the area of any Skip Barber races, come drop by and look us up in the pits or paddock. We would be happy to answer all your questions about Skip Barber. For race & course schedules and more info, go to Skip Barber’s website at:

http://www.skipbarber.com

Old 11-06-2001, 06:38 AM
.RJ

Default Re: Is Skip Barber worth the $600-$1600 price tag? (RMR)

Question about the skip barber racing series? Whats the cost for that? I want to take the 3 day school + the advanced school once i graduate (at least thats the plan) this year, and i'm curious to what the costs are for running in formula dodge...

-Ryan 95SC2
Old 11-06-2001, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is Skip Barber worth the $600-$1600 price tag? (Type-RJ)

I went to the skippy 3-day at Road America, and I would say that what you learn in that F-Dodge will definitely help you drive ANY car around a track better. Sure, you may not learn the intricacies of your particular setup, but its still very much worth it.
Old 11-07-2001, 03:05 AM
RMR
New User

Default Re: Is Skip Barber worth the $600-$1600 price tag? (Type-RJ)

3-day Racing School ------------------ $ 3,000
2-day Advanced Racing School ----- $ 2,000
1-day Car Control Clinic --------------- $ 900
1-day Lapping -------------------------- $ 900
Regional Race (Fri-Sun) -------------- $ 3,000
National Race (Fri-Sun) -------------- $ 5,000

In order to race, you have to complete the 3-day, 2-day, and Car Control Clinic at the minimum. It is up to the Instructors to determine if you are ready to race or need more Lapping Days.

Lapping Days are 80 miles per day of Track Time which works out to 1 hour of actual driving split up between two or three sessions depending on the track.

Friday Practice is like Lapping Days with 80 miles split into two sessions. In a track like Laguna Seca that's 18 laps per session, if your quick.

Saturday Race Day is one 20 minute Qualifying Session and one 30 minute (40 miles) Race plus a 5 minute warm up right before the Race.

Sunday Race Day is one 30 minute (40 mile) Race plus 5 minute warm up. Qualifying for Sunday is where you finish in Saturday's Race.

If you are serious, you will need more Lapping Days to become good. Lapping Days are available Monday to Thursday before the Race weekends. Many show up for extra Lapping days, including all the top guys.

As I said above, if you are ready to book a date, give my rep a call and mention my name. She may be able to work out a discount or special promotion.

Old 11-07-2001, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is Skip Barber worth the $600-$1600 price tag? (RMR)

yes
if you want to really race
end of story
Old 11-08-2001, 10:38 AM

Default Re: Is Skip Barber worth the $600-$1600 price tag? (555R)

I just did Skip Barber's Intro to Racing ( 30th Birthday present from my wife ), it was the most fun I have ever had in a car. They set you up with a Formula 4 car and the classes are only about 10 to 12 people, and they let you loose on the track in groups of 4 with a pace car in front. I was amazed with how fast they were letting us go, up to 130+ on the straights. I have been a car nut for a long time, open track days and all, but these cars are completely different. I would definitely recommend this to any diehard, expensive but worth it.
Old 11-08-2001, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is Skip Barber worth the $600-$1600 price tag? (jedraz)

and thats the intro course
wait till you do the advanced classes
hell for kicks my bosses got me the nascar experience weekend
i cant wait to drive that at a good speed around pocono
time to use the whole damn oval
Old 11-11-2001, 09:52 AM
New User

Default Re: Is Skip Barber worth the $600-$1600 price tag? (555R)

Thanks so much guys for all the info. The formula school like a blast, but I doubt I'd be willing to dish out the money. I'd consider the 2 day still, but I like the idea of going to local schools with an instructor to get the basics so I could get the best out of the SB experience. Thanks again.