Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Acura Integra Type-R (https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-integra-type-r-8/)
-   -   Scheming and Plotting: How my car will end up. (https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-integra-type-r-8/scheming-plotting-how-my-car-will-end-up-804187/)

Kendall 03-18-2004 06:33 PM

Scheming and Plotting: How my car will end up.

Over the past couple of weeks, steps have been taken that will ensure the coming of one of three things: My primary objective, my acceptable secondary objective, and a third objective which is unacceptable. Each of these has been labelled Plan A, Plan B, and Plan C respectively. I will outline each of them for suggestions, discussion, and general flaming. But first, a few words explaining this whole thing.

A few words explaining this whole thing.

I got the idea some months ago that I was going to build a car specifically to run my favorite terrain: mountain roads. I fought with myself about how to most effectively do this and finally came to a few conclusions. I will tune the car with drivability and response being the primary goals so the plan is to go with an all motor buildup. Handling and weight have already been addressed, I have a good set of seats and will be installing a roll bar and appropriate harnesses in the upcoming months. I will attempt to source a set of Advan Neova AD07 tires to keep everything as sticky as possible without sacrificing wet weather control. This leaves me with the engine being the only major decision, so I decided to sell it.

Plan A

My primary objective will be to source a JDM K20A from the DC5 Integra Type R and swap it in. The increased power and torque of this engine should greatly help me on my quest to build a mountain munching machine, and when only mildly tuned, K20's are producing amazing power and superb responsiveness. Not to mention the shorter gearing and the additional sixth gear. Plan A is to install a K20A and tune it mildly.

Plan B

Assuming something goes wrong, I will be left with no choice but to return to the B series. If I do so, it will be with an LS/VTEC setup running high compression, crazy cams, ITB's and a JDM ITR tranny. Basically nothing new or exciting, just fast. Plan B is to build an all motor B series monster.

Plan C

Being that my stock engine is already sold and will be coming out soon. I had to source a temporary engine. Fortunatly for me, the buyer of my engine happens to have a spare engine just laying around that will do well in serving the purpose of a temporary engine. It's a bone stock 93 Honda Civic CX engine. I've always had thoughts of creating the "best gas milage ever" Type R and assuming I get robbed, or have to pay for something outrageous, then this is the route I will go. I really don't want to do this, as it would kill the spirit of the car. Plan C is to build a Type R to have the best gas milage possible using a stock CX engine and tuning.

As you can see, Plan A is really cool, Plan B is alright, and Plan C sucks. I just thought I would take some time and inform everyone as to my decision. The estimated date of completion for Plan A is set for June 20, 2004.

ZygSpeed 03-18-2004 06:41 PM

Re: Scheming and Plotting: How my car will end up. (Kendall)

Turbo the CX. https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emwink.gif

Kendall 03-18-2004 06:50 PM

Re: Scheming and Plotting: How my car will end up. (zygspeed)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zygspeed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Turbo the CX. https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emwink.gif </TD></TR></TABLE>

Somehow, this idea is very tempting.

96 Ls lnTeG 03-18-2004 07:01 PM

good plan....

vtec.dc2 03-18-2004 07:02 PM

plan c sounds retarted.. unless you're low on money.. but if you're low on money, whats the point of doing k20a swap in a first place.

if money is an issue, is cheaper to stick with b series.. - what i'll be doing for a while.. but eventually i wouldn't mind moving to k20.. hondata looks bright for k series.

either way, good luck with everything! looking forward to seeing how everything turns out.

magic hat #9 03-18-2004 07:11 PM

Re: Scheming and Plotting: How my car will end up. (vtec.dc2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtec.dc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">plan c sounds retarted.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

is it me, or does the whole idea sound retarded? a roll bar for mountain driving? the expense of putting a k20 in a dc2? mountain driving in florida?!

nightrider 03-18-2004 07:23 PM

Re: Scheming and Plotting: How my car will end up. (magic hat #9)

a cx will not result in the best mileage type r. it will result in the slowest type r ever.

Kendall 03-18-2004 07:59 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by magic hat #9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">mountain driving in florida?!</TD></TR></TABLE>

I live in NC for most of the year.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nightrider &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">a cx will not result in the best mileage type r. it will result in the slowest type r ever.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That it will.

Champ R 03-18-2004 08:18 PM

I like plan A. If everything can be fitted properly, a DC2 chassis with the much improved K20A motor would be the ultimate integra. Slap on that toda cam/ecu kit and you are looking around 220whp.

MissMyHonda 03-18-2004 09:05 PM

here's the best idea.....

plan d)

Buy my JDM R motor thus giving me the rest of the needed cash to secure a K20 swap and enough cash to put it over the 260whp mark and put it in my teg. Then, to show how cool you are, I'll put a HUGE picture of you on the side of my car, and a quote that says "PoweRed by Kendall"

Mugen Type R 03-18-2004 09:13 PM

i say A, if your low for money then turbo plan c:)

Dr Pooface 03-19-2004 05:37 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by magic hat #9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

is it me, or does the whole idea sound retarded? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Philly_NBP_R 03-19-2004 10:29 AM

Re: Scheming and Plotting: How my car will end up. (Dr Pooface)

CX engine in an ITR?

I want some of what your'e smoking... https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...s/emsmilep.gif

I would just build up a B20 motor for n/a or bOOst - then you can make serious hp without having to re-engineer the whole car... (and saving some cash too).

How much is the going rate for a K20 swap w/ everything?

Jon D 03-19-2004 10:45 AM

Build and boost the hell outta that ls/vtec!!! Plan A sounds very tempting as well, and as the majority have cleared pointed out.....C sux!!

96 Ls lnTeG 03-19-2004 11:46 AM

Re: Scheming and Plotting: How my car will end up. (Philly_NBP_R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Philly_NBP_R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
How much is the going rate for a K20 swap w/ everything?</TD></TR></TABLE>

K20 Eg told me about 8500 Everything Installed Dc5-R or Just a Type-S minus 1600

Philly_NBP_R 03-19-2004 12:08 PM

Re: Scheming and Plotting: How my car will end up. (96 Ls lnTeG)

ouch.

I would build a B20...

Kendall 03-19-2004 02:09 PM

Re: Scheming and Plotting: How my car will end up. (Philly_NBP_R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Philly_NBP_R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I want some of what your'e smoking... https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...s/emsmilep.gif</TD></TR></TABLE>

They're made in Cuba and sell for about $15 each if you can find any.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 96 Ls lnTeG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">K20 Eg told me about 8500 Everything Installed Dc5-R or Just a Type-S minus 1600</TD></TR></TABLE>

There's a group buy on http://www.k20a.org for $5500 for the engine and all necessary components, plus $1750 for everything needed to get it running in a DC or EG chassis. After adding some money for peripheral parts, fluids, etc, I plan on having about $8000 invested in it.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Philly_NBP_R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would build a B20...</TD></TR></TABLE>

But there's just so damn many of them, it wouldn't be original.

MK Ultra 03-19-2004 02:21 PM

K-series requires the use of a cable shifter.

Cable shifters suck ass.