Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

RMF header installation for DC2R

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 12:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RMF header installation for DC2R

Hi

Thinking of getting this header for my DC2R, it is the 4-1 RMF Rep (RMF Style header w/ test pipe). My current header has been dented/scraped.

Has anyone fit this on their DC2R because I have a few questions:

Do i need the test pipe?
Do i need to extend the o2 sensor wires? if so by how much because I notice you can buy extensions from 16-33" long.
Any other installation issues I should let the exhaust shop know about? I am aware the radiator fans and shroud may need to be trimmed.

I have a fujitsubu power getter system with aftermarket header (no idea on the brand, but looks like JDM ITR copy) installed currently, I will be getting the work done at an exhaust shop so they should make it fit to my current cat quite nicely, (unsure if it is a high flow cat or stock cat).

Thanks.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: RMF header installation for DC2R

anyone?
Old 02-16-2016, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had a real one. Everything for fine but I have a t1r cat back. The ac fan shroud needs to be trimmed about an inch or less.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:06 AM
#1 Super Guy

Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts

You will need do the following...

- Trim Fan shroud (and possible fan blade tips of you have a non OEM radiator)
- Probably Remove the cap on your clutch slave cylinder (I had to) cause the nipple is too close
- Trim your lower splash shield to make room for the 4 pipes
- Add a 2.5" flange to your stock CAT if you don't have a 2.5" CAT
- Extend your O2 wires

Here are images of mine in an EG. Should be similar. BTW I have problems with this thing sucking fresh-air if I park the the car for only a few minutes (short cool-down). I think I get the O2 sensor CEL because extremely low throttle angles (vacuum) draw air into the exhaust stream. It only happens on light-throttle deceleration down-hill. I personally think the flange is not sealing well at the head, but it really could be anywhere. I was instructed to use two gaskets. I've tried one gasket with a little copper RTV, and even copper RTV at the slip joint.....but it still happens. :\

Old 02-18-2016, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94eg!
You will need do the following...

- Trim Fan shroud (and possible fan blade tips of you have a non OEM radiator)
- Probably Remove the cap on your clutch slave cylinder (I had to) cause the nipple is too close
- Trim your lower splash shield to make room for the 4 pipes
- Add a 2.5" flange to your stock CAT if you don't have a 2.5" CAT
- Extend your O2 wires

Here are images of mine in an EG. Should be similar. BTW I have problems with this thing sucking fresh-air if I park the the car for only a few minutes (short cool-down). I think I get the O2 sensor CEL because extremely low throttle angles (vacuum) draw air into the exhaust stream. It only happens on light-throttle deceleration down-hill. I personally think the flange is not sealing well at the head, but it really could be anywhere. I was instructed to use two gaskets. I've tried one gasket with a little copper RTV, and even copper RTV at the slip joint.....but it still happens. :\
Thanks for that...by how much will the o2 wires need extending? Will something like this do? Honda O2 Extension Harness Acura 4 Wire Sensor CIVIC Integra Prelude Accord CRX | eBay
Old 02-18-2016, 05:32 PM
#1 Super Guy

That would be more than enough wire. I think it was something like 6 inches.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94eg!
That would be more than enough wire. I think it was something like 6 inches.
What about flywheel cover? I heard I need to buy a VTiR/GSR one as the the ITR one wont clear the header?
Old 02-19-2016, 12:51 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IIRC, I used the O2 sensor from a 1998 Civic EX. Same sensor part number...but with about 6" longer wires, and significantly cheaper than an Integra part. I bought a NTK or Denso direct fit for $60 or so. Rockauto or sparkplugs.com

If you DON'T want to buy a new sensor....then extending O2 wires is not a good idea. Buying a sandwich extension is a better idea.

I had to trim the eff out of my fan and shroud on my stock radiator. I then went to a fluidyne radiator and slim fans (with shroud)...and had to trim the slim fan guard.

I used the flanges from the 2.5" test pipe that came with the kit ...and had them welded to a 2.5" HFC. And I ran it to a stock catback.
Old 02-19-2016, 01:16 PM
#1 Super Guy

Originally Posted by mr_munro
What about flywheel cover? I heard I need to buy a VTiR/GSR one as the the ITR one wont clear the header?
Mine clears the ITR transmission brace with ease. The collector is positioned right after the bend so there is pleanty of room. This was a major selling point for me.

Honestly the only option that fits/works better is the Toda or Toda replica....but they don't look nearly as cool in the engine bay.
Old 02-20-2016, 12:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B serious
IIRC, I used the O2 sensor from a 1998 Civic EX. Same sensor part number...but with about 6" longer wires, and significantly cheaper than an Integra part. I bought a NTK or Denso direct fit for $60 or so. Rockauto or sparkplugs.com

If you DON'T want to buy a new sensor....then extending O2 wires is not a good idea. Buying a sandwich extension is a better idea.

I had to trim the eff out of my fan and shroud on my stock radiator. I then went to a fluidyne radiator and slim fans (with shroud)...and had to trim the slim fan guard.

I used the flanges from the 2.5" test pipe that came with the kit ...and had them welded to a 2.5" HFC. And I ran it to a stock catback.
Thanks for the info, yea i ended up buying a 12" extension just in case...you had no issues with the flywheel cover ? Also, what gains did you notice with the header bolted on?
Old 02-20-2016, 05:05 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mr_munro
Thanks for the info, yea i ended up buying a 12" extension just in case...you had no issues with the flywheel cover ? Also, what gains did you notice with the header bolted on?
I don't remember doing any thing at all to the cover.

I noticed a good bump in midrange and top end....but never dyno'd it.

The only "complaint" that I had was that my clutch fluid got overheated once or twice after a very long/hot track day. I guess you could wrap the portion of the header that comes close to the slave cylinder in something that traps heat.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've got the o2 sensor extension. Noob question but which sensor needs extending...I understand there is one on the cat and one near the header collector?
Old 03-04-2016, 08:37 AM
#1 Super Guy

The one in the collector of course.
Old 03-05-2016, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have this header, but I haven't had a chance to install it. Good luck with install.