Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

re-registering a salvaged car

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2002, 07:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re-registering a salvaged car

hey i bought back my itr after it was claimed salvage by the insurance company.. i was just wondering what it takes to register a salvaged car?... ie smog? inspection by who?... i have a jdm front end i want to slap on the car but i was wondering if the inspector will pass the car with a jdm front end... and what does it take to reregister a salvage title?.. isn't there a different type of registration... for cars that are not meant to be driven on the street??
Old 05-20-2002, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: re-registering a salvaged car (fortynineR)

I think it might be different in every state. Check your state's DMV website for info.
Old 05-20-2002, 08:18 AM

in pa, you have to take 4 istures of it before its fixed(you might not have to do thar since you already owned the car). we just did a jdm front on an integra, just make sure you have all the recipts for your parts,we have to have our cars inspected by a mechanic,(makes sure all the lights work etc.) and some paperwork signed. you send in all the mechanics paperwork,your recipts and the salvage certificate(title) and they send you a new one. if you didnt get a salvage title then just fix it.check with a local notary public, they will have all the info you need and all the paperwork your mechanic needs when your doing this.
Old 05-20-2002, 08:28 AM

Default Re: re-registering a salvaged car (nekkedR)

i live in cali... well i am aware that i need a brake and light inspection... smog is probable... but i wanna know is do i have to take it to a state referee for smog?... and who does the inspecion?... what kinda things do they look at when inspecting the car?....
Old 05-20-2002, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

after I registered my car after it was salvaged, I had to get a brake and light inspection, and a smog. You can take it anywhere, doesnt have to be a state operated facility. All they did was check to make sure all my bulbs, blinkers, brake lights, reverse lights, parking lights, headlights etc etc were working in proper order, checked and tested my brakes and smogged my car. Think it cost me a total of $200 for the work, maybe another $100 to get it registered. This was like 4 years ago but I know it didnt cost me more than $300 to get it all done.
Old 05-20-2002, 09:37 AM

Default Re: re-registering a salvaged car (TreDEE)

so did u have to bring it to a chp or to the dmv to get it inspected?... the car has the original motor and everything matches... so basically i just need to get the brake and light inspection and a smog?.. do i need to bring the car somewhere else?...
Old 05-20-2002, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In florida.. it's easy, you take the parts and put them in a different car cause you can't title a salvaged car in any way here.
Old 05-20-2002, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so did u have to bring it to a chp or to the dmv to get it inspected?... the car has the original motor and everything matches... so basically i just need to get the brake and light inspection and a smog?.. do i need to bring the car somewhere else?...
No I took it to a local shop that was DMV approved. You dont have to take it to a state operated facility, just a state approved facility.
Old 05-20-2002, 10:28 AM

just curious - how much did they charge you to buy your car back?
Old 05-20-2002, 12:22 PM
New User

To re-register is a bitch and requires lots of patients. Here is a list of what I had to do to get my car re-reg (not the R): (not in significant order)

1. Headlight and brake inspection from an approved service shop. Look for a state seal in the front of the shop stating they inspect headlights and brakes. And no, you do not want to convert your front to JDM until after it is reg. Price ~ $80

2. DMV personally inspected the vehicle. Don't remember price, might be free

3. Regular smog check ~ $20.00

4. Car inspected by the Freeway Inspection board (which I think is done by the chp). This one was a bitch, I called to set up an appointment (number given by DMV) and they told me to go the chp office in Gilroy. When I got there they said I was not in their jurisdiction and must go to the office I'm approved for. Which after countless phone calls I find out is a CHP office near Palo Alto. Not sure on price, maybe $50

The total process took about 4 months. Each time I got dicked around or there was a delay I had to go to the DMV to get a renewal tag for the next month(many hours in line).

Good luck on the car and let the red-tape begin

[Modified by Sa-Da-Teh, 9:25 PM 5/20/2002]

[Modified by Sa-Da-Teh, 9:27 PM 5/20/2002]
Old 05-20-2002, 03:04 PM

Default Re: re-registering a salvaged car (Sa-Da-Teh)

i bought the car back for $3000

so the chp do have to check the car?... what exactly do they look for?.. i can get the car smogged at any shop that does smog right?... do they worry about little stuff like.. wipers.. and heater cores?... my car is pretty stripped.. there is nothing underneath the dash except for wires and the oem cluster... abs is gone and so is the power stearing... what exactly do they look for if u know??
Old 05-20-2002, 10:35 PM
New User

1. "so the chp do have to check the car?... what exactly do they look for?.. " They all mainly look at the same thing, are the headlights aimed correctly, housing or brackets cracked... Are the brakes in working orders?

2. "i can get the car smogged at any shop that does smog right?..." Yes

3. "do they worry about little stuff like.. wipers.. and heater cores?... my car is pretty stripped.. there is nothing underneath the dash except for wires and the oem cluster... abs is gone and so is the power stearing... what exactly do they look for if u know??"[/QUOTE] It's kind of a joke in what they look at, but it depends if you get an azzhole or not. I don't think they really care about the interior and they don't drive it so no power steering is not a big deal. Just make sure that no suspension parts look bent and nothing is cracked around the light housing.
Old 05-21-2002, 07:47 AM

thnx for the info... well i have no choice on the headlight.. because my front end was pretty messed up.. and i do have a jdm front already... jdm headlights are not dot approved... so i guess my chances of getting the car registrered is less... unless i can go to a shop that is approved by the dmv..hoping that they do not notice the headlights... is there a way i can skip the chp part... or i HAVE to go to one? because where i stay.. chp and cops can be a nightmare for anyone who drives an import!!
Old 05-21-2002, 08:44 AM
Trial User

To re-register is a bitch and requires lots of patients.
Boy! Who knew you'd have to get the hospital involved!
Old 05-21-2002, 11:04 AM

fortynineR,
not sure if you have checked on this yet, but do you know how much your insurance will be now that your car is salvage title? what was it before?

i'm curious cuz i passed up on an offer for a '98 ITR that had a salvage title once.