Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Quick help - inspections when buying used from a dealer

Old 07-10-2004, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Quick help - inspections when buying used from a dealer

Hey Guys, it's been a long time since I've posted in here. I know there are a ton of you who know what you're doing when it comes to engines.

I hate buying cars from dealers, and I usually don't. But something happened and I'm forced to buy a used car to get what I want. I see a lot of guys doing compression tests on motors and a few other "key" tests.

Are there any I can request a dealer to perform to ease my mind that the used car is o.k. or is test driving and a visual inspection the best I can hope for. If I can find a nice car by a private party seller, that would be ideal, but for now, I haven't had that luck.

Thanks for any helpful tips. (Maybe this should be in all - motor forum, I don't know, but I know the R Pals know what to do.)
Old 07-10-2004, 07:34 PM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Quick help - inspections when buying used from a dealer (00-ITR-373)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 00-ITR-373 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Are there any I can request a dealer to perform to ease my mind that the used car is o.k. or is test driving and a visual inspection the best I can hope for.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You can request any tests you want - compression, timing, alignment, etc - but, depending on the dealer, you may (or may not) have to pay for the labor for the tests.

You can also request that another facility - another dealership or an independent mechanic, not associated with the selling dealer - perform a pre-purchase inspection of the car. This is a legitimate request, since the opinion of the dealer's own service department can be seen as less than independent under the circumstances. For another party's inspection, you will be responsible for paying for their time.

The selling dealer can refuse these requests, of course. But most dealers consider (or, at least, should consider) them legitimate requests, and if they refuse, I would be wondering what they have to hide.

Part of your question is asking exactly which tests you might request. I'll leave that question to the more technical folks in this forum to answer.

$.02
Old 07-10-2004, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Quick help - inspections when buying used from a dealer (00-ITR-373)

whatcha tryin to buy, Troy?

.....you should pick up Jack's k24 frankenstein he has for sale.
Old 07-11-2004, 08:40 AM
Ill
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Quick help - inspections when buying used from a dealer (Black R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Black R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">whatcha tryin to buy, Troy?

.....you should pick up Jack's k24 frankenstein he has for sale. </TD></TR></TABLE>

...or Kenji's sweet JDM ITR https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=916036