Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Looking for car pricing advice.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for car pricing advice.

Unfortunately, the time has come to sell my R. My family is too big, time/money are too short, and I just hate to see her rotting in the garage. I'll try to be as honest as possible here and if y'all could help me to find a rough fair price I'd appreciate it. I'll also entertain any offers - I'd like to see it go to someone here that would appreciate it (I'll be creating a listing in the correct forum once I get pictures done and we figure out a good value). If you see anything listed below that I should sell separately, please let me know.

2001 Phoenix Yellow Integra R
167k miles

Photos Here: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AmAdXbBgUUSomJ5gmbuO5DH1Hjrarw

Positives:
  • Original Owner
  • Absolutely zero mods, other than a JDM rear upper strut tower bar, have ever been done to this car. It's the same as it was when I drove it off the lot November of 2000, minus wear items.
  • Other than the first two years of ownership, where it was parked in the sun during the day at work, it's been in a garage or under covered parking at all times.
  • Spare set of gunmetal OEM rims originally used for autocrossing.
  • Car has checkered 2000 model year floormats (there was a mixup at the dealer when I purchased) - all four are in good shape except for the driver's mat, which has some wear where the heels go. I also have a set of never used black OEM floormats that are correct for the 2001 model year.
  • I kept a t-shirt over the center console armrest, it's in awesome shape.
  • Engine had a complete small block rebuild at around 130k miles, performed at David McDavid Acura in Plano, TX. Rebuild was performed because it was leaking/burning oil and I got tired of the mess. Car runs beautifully.
  • All parts are original and VIN stickers are all present and matching.
  • Driven in Texas for a few years, but generally not during/after ice storms. Most of its life has been in the lovely dry climate of Southern Arizona. No noticeable (or noticed) bodywork or underbody rust at all.
  • Nonsmoker - car has never been smoked in.
  • Red valve cover looks great.
Negatives:
  • Paint is a touch rough. It looks ok (e.g. no exposed metal, main body work paint is all intact), but you can see fading and a lack of paint clarity on the hood. Front bumper has a half inch spot that has flaked (was repainted by a dealership body shop at some point and I suspect the front bumper was tapped in a parking lot in the last year or two which fractured the paint). Exposed area is still yellow and not black. Airdam has a couple of goodly marks in it from hitting an chunk of extension ladder on the Tollway some years ago.
  • Total Accidents (that I recall) - 4:
    • One curb hit with the front right tire in fog (a little suspension damage and cracked rim - no bodywork damage),
    • One car backed into in a parking lot (very low speed, rear bumper repainted),
    • One car backed into me in a parking lot (very low speed, nose repainted)
    • And the worst one - an idiot turning left out into a divided street when I was turning left into the shopping center he was coming out of that hit me in the left rear quarter panel at a fairly low speed - that one required some filler (only accident that required actual body work).
  • Needs a new catalytic converter.
  • Antenna gear is broken, needs new power antenna.
  • Right passenger window doesn't go down (probably a new motor needed)
  • Hatch doesn't open with the little lever, you have to use the key (surprise!)
Thoughts on a fair value? Anything I should sell separately?
Thanks for your help!

Last edited by timberwulf; 04-10-2018 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Add link to photos.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Looking for car pricing advice.

Maybe $15k?
Old 04-10-2018, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is the title clean? I would assume so based on the detail of the accidents.

Given that, I think $15K as Dave stated is reasonable. The value of these will only climb, especially original owner, all matching VINs, etc.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems like an honest car. I would put it on bring a trailer and see what happens. You might end up with high teens or even 20k. Original owner, all vins matching and a motor rebuild add a lot of value.

I would remove the rear tower bar before the sale. Sell the spare wheels and checkered mats.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks folks.

The title is clean and clear.

When you say you'd remove the rear tower bar - is that because it's worth something on its own or does it hurt the value somehow?
Old 04-11-2018, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

In my experience of buying and selling in the internet age and from a distance it is much easier to sell a car that is bone stock. You are super close by just removing the bar. It doesn't add value but it can detract. Especially on BAT where there are many experts that will pick the car apart.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by touringteg
In my experience of buying and selling in the internet age and from a distance it is much easier to sell a car that is bone stock. You are super close by just removing the bar. It doesn't add value but it can detract. Especially on BAT where there are many experts that will pick the car apart.
Exactly. For example, when someone sells an R with aftermarket suspension. Yes it's easy to change back to stock, but selling it with aftermarket suspension will likely result in a lower price than if you just put oem back on.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Makes total sense, thank you.
Old 04-12-2018, 05:24 AM
Painfully Stupid

18-20k.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:53 AM
Beard

Ill take the rear bar
Old 08-28-2018, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for all of your help folks, and sorry for the delay. I broke three transverse processes in my back in late April which threw my entire timeline off (I'm fully recovered now).

Car can be seen at https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=493510302&ownerId=7 1892293&searchRadius=0 . I'd like it to go to someone here that would truly appreciate it if anyone is interested.

Car is sold. Thank you!

Last edited by timberwulf; 08-31-2018 at 12:29 PM.