Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Legend caliper rebuild kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Legend caliper rebuild kit

Last weekend I melted the dust boot on the larger piston, and I cannot for the life of me find a rebuild kit. I've tried NAPA, O'Reilly, Advance Autoparts and Autozone. I rebuilt these calipers about a year ago, but I don't remember where I bought the rebuild kits. They were off the shelf at some parts store. Does anyone know who sells the rebuild kits? I'd also like to know the size of the pistons for future reference.
Old 09-30-2004, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Legend caliper rebuild kit (Batoutahell)

Surely I'm not the only one who uses and has rebuilt legend calipers.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ACURA
Old 09-30-2004, 11:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sorry i was under the influence of medication before, what i ment to say was, go get them at an acura parts counter, they will have them,
Old 09-30-2004, 11:47 PM

Default Re: (Eddiebx)

that must cost a small fortune...
Old 09-30-2004, 11:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Art Vandeleigh)

If the price is similar o the ITR caliper rebuild kit, then I'd suggest calling Len and going that route.

Let us know what happens...
Old 10-01-2004, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (cheezthis)

Just got off the phone with the Acura parts desk. I was told Acura does not sell brake caliper rebuild kits. I'm running out of ideas.
Old 10-01-2004, 10:10 AM

Default Re: (Batoutahell)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Batoutahell &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just got off the phone with the Acura parts desk. I was told Acura does not sell brake caliper rebuild kits. I'm running out of ideas.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Smurf Caliper time
Old 10-01-2004, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Batoutahell &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just got off the phone with the Acura parts desk. I was told Acura does not sell brake caliper rebuild kits. I'm running out of ideas.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I find that hard to believe. Contact Lance or Aaron (Magic hat#9) I vaguely remember either one or both of them rebuilding their calipers at one time or another. If all else fails, call Len and see what he can procure.
Old 10-01-2004, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

They don't know what the hell they're talking about. &lt;bonk&gt;

01463-SP0-E00 CALIPER SEAL KIT - $36.33 (list price)

http://www.acuraparts247.com/sunnysi...All&vinsrch=no

Caliper Pistons also available:
45213-SP0-E01 PISTON (42MM)
45216-SP0-E01 PISTON (38MM)

Old 10-01-2004, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (typer_801)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by typer_801 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">They don't know what the hell they're talking about. &lt;bonk&gt;
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Either and or that they just want you to buy a whole new caliper
Old 10-01-2004, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (typer_801)

Thanks for the info., I know better than to trust the dealership. $36.33 gulp! For $50 or so I could buy a reman'd caliper. At this juncture, I'm definitely eyeing the smurfs.
Old 10-01-2004, 11:12 AM
Trial User

makes perfect sense...scoff at the $40 rebuild....get a $1200 brake package...that doesn't have dust b00ts...a torn one which prompted this whole excercise anyway...

Old 10-01-2004, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (El Pollo Diablo)

No, I'm not considering buying an expensive brake kit because my dust boot melted. I have been considering spoon calipers for a long time now because I'm not satisfied with either the ITR or the Legend calipers. I'm just not satisfied with the brake modulation of ITR calipers. The Legend calipers have a better feel, but are still lacking IMO. Spoons are supposed to increase braking feel tenfold. I've also had overheating problems, and the spoons are supposed to dissipate heat better. I usually run spec vr pads, but sometimes xp's. My dust shields are removed, and I haven't figured out a decent way to route ducting around the a/c lines.

Edit: When I rebuilt the Legend calipers a year ago, I paid less than $8.00 per caliper for seals and boots for both pistons. Having to pay Acura $36.33 for the same kit now deserves some scoffing.
Old 10-01-2004, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's probably more like $30 when you get an HT discount at Baranco. And from my investigations, I couldn't touch a dual piston reman caliper for anything less than $80 + core. Please share where you can find them that cheap (definitely not Pep Boys or AutoZone).

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Batoutahell &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks for the info., I know better than to trust the dealership. $36.33 gulp! For $50 or so I could buy a reman'd caliper. At this juncture, I'm definitely eyeing the smurfs.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 10-01-2004, 11:46 AM
Trial User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Batoutahell &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Spoons are supposed to increase braking feel tenfold. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Now there's something to scoff at

Hey, it's j00r money...no need to justify j00r need for bling to us

although http://www.stoptech.com would be c00ler bling...and moe functional.
Old 10-01-2004, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (El Pollo Diablo)

Have you heard of anyone (who tracks their R) who doesn't rave about the increased pedal modulation of the spoons? I haven't, not one person. Spoon calipers aren't cheap, so if anyone has an opinion that spoons don't deliver better pedal modulation, I'd like to know about it. The stoptechs require larger rotors/wheels, right? I'm going to stay with 15" wheels for budget reasons. My car and bling? My R is as much of a track ***** as my crx, just fewer speed wrinkles.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:27 AM

I know this is bringing up an extremely old thread, but I just wanted to share in here for others that may be searching (as i was) for some more info on legend rebuild kits--O'Reilly Auto Parts does carry them again. They didn't for a couple years, and I was just about to order kits from Delray for 31 bucks per side when something made me pause and call O'Reilly anyway--even though there's nothing shown on their website.

Turns out they don't have any locally, but the guy showed a couple in KC and some in Springfield that he ordered in for me. 6.99 per side.

I figure I got the calipers (with brackets) for $70 for the pair shipped, i might as well spend a few extra bucks and go ahead and rebuild them just so I know everything's new again.

Again, sorry to bring up such an old thread from the dead like this but I figured it was better to add to an existing thread than start a whole new one. Hopefully the info helps someone else.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Armed Ferret)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Armed Ferret &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I know this is bringing up an extremely old thread, but I just wanted to share in here for others that may be searching (as i was) for some more info on legend rebuild kits--O'Reilly Auto Parts does carry them again. They didn't for a couple years, and I was just about to order kits from Delray for 31 bucks per side when something made me pause and call O'Reilly anyway--even though there's nothing shown on their website.

Turns out they don't have any locally, but the guy showed a couple in KC and some in Springfield that he ordered in for me. 6.99 per side.

I figure I got the calipers (with brackets) for $70 for the pair shipped, i might as well spend a few extra bucks and go ahead and rebuild them just so I know everything's new again.

Again, sorry to bring up such an old thread from the dead like this but I figured it was better to add to an existing thread than start a whole new one. Hopefully the info helps someone else.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i was wondering why a thread was made by batoutahell... thanks for the headsup!!! do you have the manufacturer's name and part number by any chance? 70 bucks shipped? for the twin caliper one? craziness...
Old 04-02-2008, 11:00 AM

Default Re: (jomama)

70 bucks for the pair of 'em, yeah.

no idea on part # or manufacturer; just called today so it'll be probably friday before i get 'em.

i'll update here when the info's available.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:23 PM

Default Re: (Armed Ferret)

As promised, here's your update.

Oreilly has employed orangutans at the helm of their computer database.

They ordered me stuff for the rears, as that's all they can get for the GS sedans. Nothing for fronts unless you want the single-piston version.

Bastids.

Guess it's off to delray to pick it up way more 'spensively than i was hoping to.

Update: Parts got ordered from Delray and should be here end of next week. I picked up the calipers for $70 shipped, the rebuild kit makes it $140 total that I've spent on these guys.

Cheaper than buying remans, and cheaper than I've seen used go for on this very site. So all in all still a decent buy.

Coulda been better, coulda been worse I suppose.

Modified by Armed Ferret at 6:12 PM 4/4/2008
Old 08-12-2013, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Legend caliper rebuild kit

You can buy reman'd calipers for the Legend Coupe 93-95' Dual Piston type for around $50 at Oreilly's..
Old 08-17-2013, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Original thread was 2004... 2nd thread-jack was 2008... ur still at least 5 years too late.
Old 04-10-2015, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2000FBPITR
Original thread was 2004... 2nd thread-jack was 2008... ur still at least 5 years too late.
In keeping with tradition of bringing this thread from the dead, I too was searching for a rebuild kit for my Legend dual piston calipers.

The calipers themselves are available by Centric for $35 remanufactured (is this like buying ebay coilovers, or does mfg not matter when it comes to rebuilt calipers?), while reman kits themselves from Acura are running $37.

Although this doesn't make sense to me. It says '91 yet they are still dual piston. I remember it being '92-'95 Legend GS calipers? Maybe its a stock generic photo..

http://www.carid.com/1991-acura-lege...AVkxoC3erw_wcB
Old 04-12-2015, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I worked at a major parts dealer in my city and centric was the only calipers they ever sold, and I never seen any come back with warranty issues etc.

I'm sure they are OEM calipers just rebuilt by them, personally I like the fact that they are originals rebuilt rather than a completely new caliper made with possibly less quality materials or workmanship than original ones.

At that price it's not too bad try give them a try I suppose, if there's issues I'm sure they can be returned, but like I mentioned I delivered those calipers to repair shops all over town for a year and I would always come back and pick up the cores, I would take return or warranty items back to the store with me but I never once wrote a warranty slip for defective centric calipers.

I was planning on going the same route for my R when the time comes, best of luck

Quick Reply: Legend caliper rebuild kit