Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

The KOYO Radiator WTF thread...

Old 07-25-2010, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The KOYO Radiator WTF thread...

HT!!!!!

So here's the deal, a little while ago I installed a spare ITR rad I had from a parts car, because the water outlets on my rad were deteriorated pretty bad and I didnt want to deal with one breaking at the wrong time. Sooo in went the rad from the parts car... was not an oem rad cause it had A/T cooler built in.

Well when I got the system presdured up with that rad, surprise there was a little leak, I crimped off that part of the rad and she was good to go.

But... it always bothered me, so the other day I went and picked up a Koyo Rad..

My car btw, 00 ITR, with jdm front and A/c.

Well here are some highlights from todays install.

-The rad... once in place, is making contact with the a/c condenser, the rad still fits in the spoon rad stays, but it is pressed up against the condenser, and there is no way to move the condenser away from the rad due to the way the tabs for the condenser are shaped to "wrap" around the lip of the upper rad support.

-The fans, forget it, the stock fans dont fit, not only is there no clearance with JDM 4-1 header (It sits right against it) but the bolt pattern for my OEM Rad fan was actually not mating up on the top half... cant figure that out for the life of me (Its possible I have the denso/showa rad mix up problem in regards to the bolt pattern, the only difference in the two koyo rads for the integra is the length of the rad) The a/c rad fan would have fit with the bolt pattern and lower stay, but would not clear the jdm 4-1 header at all.

- The coolant resevoir needed a slight tweak to clear the pass side of the koyo rad.

- Your factory rad cap doesnt work with the koyo rad (somewhat obvious)

- The koyo rad is a sexy beast of a radiator and makes chicks randy.

SO as of right now, I am fanless, trying to decide on what to do about that so if anyone has some input to offer, let me know.

Its amazing the car doesnt overheat at all, stays right in operating range even sitting in heavy traffic with no fan,... I was very scared that would not be the case lol. (According to oem coolant temp gauge anyway)

I'm going to look into the FAL dual fan setup, or maybe some sort of slim fan for eg civic that is bolt on.

Anyway, anyone have any fan suggestions?

And if you are going KOYO, be warned.

Mishimoto might not have the same issues as the core is not as thick.*
Old 07-25-2010, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The KOYO Radiator WTF thread...

I dont have the part # for my KOYO handy,

but if someone can confirm what KOYO rad part numbers for the ITR use what FAL part # for the dual fan setup.

I was poking around on the net but couldnt find any good info,...

Anyway, looks like I just dropped close to a G on my stinkin cooling system.

My ITR just gets more and more fantastic all the time lol I dont even have to plan my mods, the car does it for me lol I wanted to stay stock rad and fans... oh well.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I was checking up on Mishimoto's site, it seems like they have done their research and have it noted that stock fans cannot be used with the 94-01 teg radiator. Maybe check into their fan shroud?

I am not sure what to tell ya man, but it looks like you paid a decent amount of money for a radiator which doesn't fit 100% and doesn't have a warranty.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What's wrong with just buying anther OEM radiator?
Old 07-26-2010, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by irev210
What's wrong with just buying anther OEM radiator?
Old 07-26-2010, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^ x 3 haha. I'm actually looking into slim fans for my oem radiator :-)
Old 07-26-2010, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Acura parts has them on back order till september would be the first problem.

Other than that, there is no denying that the Koyo is a much better product than a budget built plastic end tanked oem rad.

On top of that, the oem rad was also quite a bit more expensive, unless i went with an aftermarket oem style rad, which to me is sort of out of the question. I want everything on my car either OEM or quality aftermarket.

It fits, it's just a tight fit, and stock fans are somewhat out of the question depending on how much trmming you want to do+what header you are using.

Koyo has factory located fan bungs for a reason, cause they do fit given the proper combination of fan/shroud/chassis/etc. I'm sure if my car was a 2000 usdm front USDM spec header car, the fans would have fit with very little to no trimmng.... though clearance would be very tight between header and fan.

Jason

The purpose of this thread isnt to figure out why i didnt by an OE rad, more so just a thread to help future potential koyo rad buyers, to make a more informed purchase.

Jason
Old 07-26-2010, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Spoon
Old 07-26-2010, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Spoon rad was tempting, but same story with OEM rad, 6 weeks way, and on top of that, you can buy 4 Koyo rads for the same price, and you might still run into the same clearance issues.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back when I had my stock fans, they would not fit my fluidyne w/o mangling the shroud. Just get some generic slim fans and zip tie them on.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

As fantastic as zip ties are.. I try to keep them off my cars now that I am older and know there is almost always a better way than zip ties.

Note* Today I installed FAL 225 dual slim fan, it sort of worked...

A) The fal slim fan is still quite thick, barely clears the header, was a VERY tight install and took a fair bit of wiggle/bend action to get it in.

B) The two lower mounts provided with the FAL fan wont work with Koyo or anything with a thicker core than stock.

C) The two top holes to hold the factory a/c fan on line up great, the one other bolt hole on the top for the rad fan side needs some sort of spacer to fit right (I used a few washers) and the second top bolt hole for the rad fan is not intended to be used with the FAL bracket and as such is there is no provisions on the bracket for this second top bolt on the rad fan side.

I cant beleive they call this a slim fan... fack.

Would have been better off buying a universal fan, and using the zap straps or building a bracket... either way. Not the best 1000 I have ever spent on a car.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boarderfatty
As fantastic as zip ties are.. I try to keep them off my cars now that I am older and know there is almost always a better way than zip ties.
fuggin truth
Old 07-26-2010, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

with my KOYO i just used a single universal slim.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:56 AM
Suspetise...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boarderfatty
I try to keep them off my cars now that I am older and know there is almost always a better way than zip ties.
BLASPHEMY!

For serious though, zap straps for fans are the way to go.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats not good...
Old 10-05-2010, 05:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think koyo is not up to it at all i bought two radiators from koyo some time ago.Not to long after they were installed one for a gtr suddenly began to leak it was a small one so we got it fixed at a local shop.Not to long after the other one was installed on a civic and within a few weeks the same happened but we realised it was a manufacter fault so we decided to send it back to them they are now saying that its not their product and dont want to accept any sort of responsibilty for that.Question has anyone else had similar experience? It seem to be a total loss.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i think they are a total waste of time and would not recommend them to anyone its just not fair that they just dont have any sort of after sales support.I am in the process of getting a new one cause i will dump that junk they sold me and it certainly will not be from them.Based on my experience thats what i have to say.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AllMotorDan
^ x 3 haha. I'm actually looking into slim fans for my oem radiator :-)
I use FAL fans with mine. Works great!
Old 10-07-2010, 02:40 PM
#1 Super Guy

Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts

Wouldn't you think a cheap plastic radiator that fits, is better quality than an expensive oversize aluminum one that doesn't???

I'm confused. Perhaps your just hung up on the price...
Old 10-07-2010, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Koyo + FAL dual fan + Hytech header = tight fit

Old 10-07-2010, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Big Phat R
Koyo + FAL dual fan + Hytech header = tight fit

Thanks for posting that pic, I was worried I couldnt run an aftermarket header with the fal/koyo setup but I guess it will be no worse than JDM 4-1.

Though that is on USDM front end, it is always possible when my JDM front was done the rad support might be even 1mm farter back or whatever which in my case made the fit even worse.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:09 PM

Surprised you non boost guys run such hardcoreness, a dual core half width radiator normal takes care of business just fine. As for slim fans :p

Only $54.99 for this direct fit 1000cfm fan below. Will have some high power 13" SPAL with the oem clips for about $130... 1700cfm btw (in soon)

Neukin offers this impressive setup for only $250! Just released with the shroud, which is pretty cool.

Old 10-11-2010, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I use fans close to the slimfan.com on my Koyo with vision header and there is plenty of clearance. I have been running them for 3-4yrs now with no issues.

However when it is cold outside the car has a hard time heating up all the way. It will get about a quarter of the way up on the gauge and stop. If Im on the freeway it cruises right above the first line. I have burped it, refilled it and Im stumped. I guess the radiator and fans are just too much for my NA setup. :/
Old 10-14-2010, 08:06 AM

Ya sometimes when its cool you have to cover half the radiator with cardboard.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ITRacer121
I use fans close to the slimfan.com on my Koyo with vision header and there is plenty of clearance. I have been running them for 3-4yrs now with no issues.

However when it is cold outside the car has a hard time heating up all the way. It will get about a quarter of the way up on the gauge and stop. If Im on the freeway it cruises right above the first line. I have burped it, refilled it and Im stumped. I guess the radiator and fans are just too much for my NA setup. :/
Are you running the stock thermostat or did you switch to a lower temp unit? I know that can have a huge impact on temps while driving...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The KOYO Radiator WTF thread...