Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Importing my ITR from Canada to US: How it happened

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 09:58 PM
99-0104

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Importing my ITR from Canada to US: How it happened

no it will not .. they never popped my hood or asked what mods it had .. they cared that it was left hand drive and he wanted to see the door vin sticker thats about it ...
Old 06-02-2016, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nicee! thats a Gem definitely!
Old 06-24-2016, 12:42 AM
99-0104

Dave, have you got your license plates yet?
Old 06-25-2016, 10:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not yet, was gonna ask you the same thing. Crossing my fingers that they come in the mail soon. The dmv told me it could take until July though, and if I didn't receive them by end of July I can extend the temp plates.
Old 06-27-2016, 01:25 PM
99-0104

yeah i am still waiting too ... also still waiting for my personalized plates that i ordered over 3 months ago to come in .
Old 07-16-2016, 12:04 AM
99-0104

Dave, i got some paperwork from the DMV asking for a compliance letter today .. i gave them a copy of it when i registered it but i am guessing it was lost somehow.... guess i will deal with that on monday at the DMV
Old 07-16-2016, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Same here! Haha, I faxed them a copy of the compliance letter a few days ago, seems like the fastest way to go.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Final update: Got the plates and title in the mail about a week ago. Mission accomplished.
Old 08-01-2016, 07:24 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

WOOT!!! ITR BLOCK PARTY!!!!!
Old 08-02-2016, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dave7
Final update: Got the plates and title in the mail about a week ago. Mission accomplished.
Do you have a simple step by step guide you could produce - so we don't have to sift through 9 pages on some worthless posts?
Old 09-11-2016, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Great thread! I am currently talking to a fellow R owner in Canada. He is selling is R but it has a rebuilt title/registration. My question is; would the car hold a rebuilt title after all this process? Also is this car even eligible to be exported?
Old 09-11-2016, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by vtecwreck
Great thread! I am currently talking to a fellow R owner in Canada. He is selling is R but it has a rebuilt title/registration. My question is; would the car hold a rebuilt title after all this process? Also is this car even eligible to be exported?
Is it the yellow one with the JDM front?
Old 09-12-2016, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would still love to see a quick and simple guide from the OP, rather than sifting through 9 pages of comments, and BS
Old 02-26-2017, 10:07 PM
99-0104

Originally Posted by akdoh
I would still love to see a quick and simple guide from the OP, rather than sifting through 9 pages of comments, and BS

at any point you can go through the process and make a better how to .. between Dave and myself we have posted both ways to import them. his experience with using a transporter/importer and me with actually driving it across the boarder.. we both were able to successfully do it and shared alot of information that nobody has done thus far.. most people wouldn't post anything
Old 12-29-2018, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am jealous
Old 12-29-2018, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Steve01142
I am jealous
I've been happy with heR every day since she came off the semi truck from Canada. Truly a dReam car unlike any other.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:47 PM
99-0104

Originally Posted by Steve01142
I am jealous
LOL steve, one day it will be your turn to get another honda cant wait for that day to happen
Old 02-22-2019, 08:37 AM
too old for school

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I imported a Canadian ITR last year and the process was a lot simpler than some websites make it out to be.

This is basically all there is to it:
  1. Go to Canada and check out the car. Pay the seller; however, you cannot take the car with you just yet (see steps 2, 3, and 4 below).
    • Paying the seller can be a head ache and should be an entirely different write-up. How you transfer the funds to the seller is entirely up to you to figure out. Easiest would be a wire transfer. My seller wanted cash, which anything over $10,000 Canadian must be declared at the border. Check laws.
  2. The seller contacts Honda and requests two letters using the instructions on this page.
  3. The seller waits two or three weeks for the letters to arrive.
  4. The seller contacts you when he has the letters.
    • These are the letters that arrive:
    • Once you have the above letters, it's time to plan on picking up the car and drive it back to the US.
  5. Pick up the car, and go to the nearest insurance broker w/the seller.
    • Transfer the title and registration, and get a bill of sale. Seller must sign a ton of title, registration, and sale paperwork.
    • Buy a one-day temporary pass. This is similar to the temporary plates in the US when you buy a new car. Not sure if this is required, but I did it anyway just in case I got pulled-over on my way to the border. Keep in mind that without a temporary pass, you're basically driving without a plate/tabs and could easily get spotted by a Canadian cop. If your car is being transported on a truck, then you probably don't need a temporary pass.
    • Pay sales tax and registration fee. For me, this was approximately $1,600. Save the receipt because this will be deducted from the import tax you pay at the border. And, depending on your state, the registration fee can also be deducted from your US registration. Mine was, and my registration in the US was basically free.
    • Make sure to get a bill of sale! You will need this at the border, and also when registering the car in the U.S. The insurance broker can print a generic bill of sale. Fill it out, have the Canadian seller sign it. I had the broker sign the "witness" line.
    • The bill of sale should have the car's VIN number written on it, with the same pen, ink as the rest of the document. Otherwise, if different ink/pen is used throughout document, it might look like a forgery.
      • My bill of sale was in different inks, and had one correction crossed out and re-written. The agent at the US registration office questioned this correction and was reluctant to accept the bill of sale. She gave in and said she would process it anyway, but that it might get declined by the back office. Two weeks later I got my title, so I guess I got lucky and they accepted it.
  6. Once you have all of the above, drive to the nearest US border crossing.
  7. At the border, just let them know you purchased a Canadian car and you're importing it to the US. They'll have you pull off to an inspection area and go into the office to fill out some paperwork. Present the two letters from #4 above, and the bill of sale. The customs agent will give you a few forms to fill out.
  8. The customs agent will ask to inspect your car. All he'll do is confirm that the VINs on the letters match the VIN on the car.
  9. Pay import tax (they accept debit/credit card), and will deduct the tax you already paid in CA.
  10. Once the above is done, you're free to cross. The border crossing and inspection took less than 20 minutes. Was a lot easier and hassle free than I thought it would be.
  11. Drive to the nearest registration office and get your new US plates! Done!
Old 02-24-2019, 09:14 AM
Fish Twig

Nice info.
Old 02-24-2019, 01:07 PM
99-0104

if you paid $1600 sales tax then you must have bought it from a dealer or they made a mistake because if you bought it private party you do not need to pay that tax and you only need to pay for a temporary driving permit to leave the country

there is a GST tax that is 5% and a PST tax that is 7% those only apply when bought from a dealer google private party sale GST and your answer will be there i am stating this info from BC as this is where i have bought my cars and imported them
Old 02-24-2019, 01:52 PM
too old for school

I think the majority of that was registration fees. Some was tax... but not all. That’s the part that I actually knew the least about since not many sites that I read talked about Canadian registration and tax fees. I bought my ITR for so cheap (in comparison to USDM ITRs) that I didn’t care to pay that amount.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like you bought an ITR in BC? Which R did you buy.

And yes you need to buy a Temporary Operating Permit (TOP) to drive the car in BC Canada until you reach the US border. A permit can be from 1 day up to 14 days.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:02 PM
Fish Twig

this tempting, wonder if i can chill at a rest stop to change some maintenance parts before the main road trip.
Old 03-28-2019, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a DMV transferring/registering a Canadian ITR question.

Under "odometer reading" on the title, what did you guys put? Did you covert the kilometers to miles or did you just write down whatever it showed on the odometer?
Old 03-28-2019, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94lsvtec
I have a DMV transferring/registering a Canadian ITR question.

Under "odometer reading" on the title, what did you guys put? Did you covert the kilometers to miles or did you just write down whatever it showed on the odometer?
Good question. I forget what I did with the odometer reading tbh. If I recall correctly, I'm pretty sure the DMV person said we had to put down the KM, because that was the actual number on the car, and converting to miles wouldn't be legit.

Quick Reply: Importing my ITR from Canada to US: How it happened