Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

HOW ARE THIEVES STEALING OUR CARS?? Lets put our heads together

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOW ARE THIEVES STEALING OUR CARS?? Lets put our heads together

SO AS A DISCLAIMER THIS THREAD IS NOT A DEBATE, ITS SIMPLY TRYING TO START AN ANTI-THEFT INFO THREAD FOR ITR OWNERS WHO WILLINGLY CHOOSE TO ENGAGE AND PARTICIPATE TO TRY AND PROTECT WHAT THEY OWN, IF YOU DONT AGREE THEN DONT PARTICIPATE.

Ive seen many threads where owners have had alarms, kill switches, and have even taken out there ECU's, and yet the cars still seem to end up getting stolen.

what I want to do with this post is for us to analyze all the different ways on how these guys are stealing the cars and maybe try to find a way to stop it

<U>Other than NOT buying an ITR, or not driving it " for all the smart asses on here lol"</U>

FOR INSTANCE, if the thieves are breaking the iginition, is there a way to install a better iginition in the colum that cant be broken?

alot of newer cars like the 08 TL, can those be as easily stolen as the Integra and if not why cant that same technology be bought after market for the older models like the integra?

1) How are they stealing the cars (excluding towing the car) are they breaking the ignition? If so, how are they getting the car started? Hot wiring?

2) how are the thieves getting around the kill switches? --my last ITR had a kill switch to the ECU, would that have been easy for thieves to get around?

3) does the old jump start trick of putting the car in gear and dumping the clutch allow a car to still start that has a kill switch or other ani-thieft device?

THERE HAS GOT TO BE 1 OR MORE WAYS TO ULTIMATELY MAKE IT TO WHERE THEY CANNOT TAKE THE CAR.

Please post anti-thieft devices you feel would help other than the crappy "club" and devices as such

SO AS A DISCLAIMER THIS THREAD IS NOT A DEBATE, ITS SIMPLY TRYING TO START AN ANTI-THEFT INFO THREAD FOR ITR OWNERS WHO WILLINGLY CHOOSE TO ENGAGE AND PARTICIPATE TO TRY AND PROTECT WHAT THEY OWN, IF YOU DONT AGREE THEN DONT PARTICIPATE.

Modified by mikestypeRR at 8:14 AM 11/1/2008

Modified by mikestypeRR at 6:34 PM 11/1/2008

Modified by mikestypeRR at 3:38 PM 11/2/2008
Old 11-01-2008, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: HOW ARE THIEVES STEALING OUR CARS?? Lets put our heads together (mikestypeRR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mikestypeRR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">[B]
1) How are they stealing the cars (excluding towing the car) are they breaking the ignition? If so, how are they getting the car started? Hot wiring?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would be willing to bet the majority are being towed/flatbedded......

plain and simple....If somebody wants to steal your car they will find a way to do it, no matter what theft prevention you have.....
Old 11-01-2008, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HOW ARE THIEVES STEALING OUR CARS?? Lets put our heads together (mikestypeRR)

It's really easy to steal integras. I didn't realize until they tried on my car a couple of months ago. Problem is no one tells you on here, posts get deleted and people jump all over the people who tell how it's done. If I knew how easy it was done I would have taken action before my car was broken into.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: HOW ARE THIEVES STEALING OUR CARS?? Lets put our heads together (R134)

get a boot for your car. ive heard of some people doing that in different forums

inconvient=yes
worth it?=most likely
Old 11-01-2008, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

look at it this way. these guy steal cars for a living, the same way your really good at your job. they are really good at stealing cars.

in the end the police depts through out america are at fault. for to many yrs they have looked at car theft as a very minor thing cuz most of the time its just a car thats stolen.

cops would rather arrest people for selling drugs or a guy with a gun cuz it looks better to their bosses
Old 11-01-2008, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Im probably gonna get some heat for this but, i believe the majority of theives (95%) of them are master keying our cars, or better known as jiggler keys. they basically take a common honda key put it in your door lock and try to pop all the pins in the lock cylinder to open the door (same for the ignition). with cars that have an immobilizer the do the same thing but they also remove the ecu and replace it with a jumper harness and an eobd1 ecu or an obd2a ecu. so those of you with the 00 or 01 type r's that remove your ecu at night i believe your actually making it easier for theives to still your car.

If you guys stop to look at all these Type R shells that have been stolen and are for sale. If you look you would realize that the door lock cylinders and the ignition cylinders are still intact and the windows are still there from not being broken..

Measures I've done to keep my R from getting stolen.
1. Disconnect the door lock cylinders so that no matter what key goes in the door the cylinder doesnt work. The door still locks by the electrical motor that is there. Also the door lock switch is disconnected so if thieves were to pull the window they cant use the switch to unlock it.

2. Sound weird but, JDM window visors. Thieves like to be quiet when the steal, the have to break your visors off your door to pull your window.

3. Top of the line alarm system with all features that i will have switched for new technology every other year.

4. Car has GPS

5. Car has lo jack

6. there is a kill switch

7. sometimes, depending on the place I'm at, on drivers side part of the engine harness theres a little plug you can disconnect that will cause your car not to start. I forgot what this plug was called but Thieves like to be quick and this is probably gonna detour them cause now they gotta figure out why the car wont start, and highly doubt they walk around with this part in there pockets when they steal a car.

I'm sure there is other things that im not thinking of right now. if i think of anything els you can do, or i have done ill be sure to post it up.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: HOW ARE THIEVES STEALING OUR CARS?? Lets put our heads together (98_R_1123)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98_R_1123 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Im probably gonna get some heat for this but, i believe the majority of theives (95%) of them are master keying our cars, or better known as jiggler keys. they basically take a common honda key put it in your door lock and try to pop all the pins in the lock cylinder to open the door (same for the ignition). </TD></TR></TABLE>

When a friend of mine told me this I didn't believe him, until he used the key from my '00 ITR to get into another friends locked '91 JDM Prelude.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HOW ARE THIEVES STEALING OUR CARS?? Lets put our heads together (98_R_1123)

^^ good read
Old 11-01-2008, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HOW ARE THIEVES STEALING OUR CARS?? Lets put our heads together (R134)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by R134 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's really easy to steal integras. I didn't realize until they tried on my car a couple of months ago. Problem is no one tells you on here, posts get deleted and people jump all over the people who tell how it's done. If I knew how easy it was done I would have taken action before my car was broken into.</TD></TR></TABLE>

EXACTLY THATS MY POINT WITH THIS POST, IS TO UNDERSTAND HOW AND THEN FIGHT AGAINST IT.

The mods need to understand that thieves already know how to steal our cars, teaching our selves so we can fight against it is the goal, and may actually save a lot of ITRS
Old 11-01-2008, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HOW ARE THIEVES STEALING OUR CARS?? Lets put our heads together (tartje)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tartje &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

When a friend of mine told me this I didn't believe him, until he used the key from my '00 ITR to get into another friends locked '91 JDM Prelude.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok see, so based on your post and the post below... you guys have found a way that the thieves have been robbing us for years... and a FREE easy way to slow them down or even stop the not so skilled thieves is to disconnect the locking mechanism inside the door. I think this is something everyone should read and do to help keep there car, cause eventually they will all get stolen and no more ITRs will be around. <TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98_R_1123 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i believe the majority of theives (95%) of them are master keying our cars, or better known as jiggler keys. they basically take a common honda key put it in your door lock and try to pop all the pins in the lock cylinder to open the door (same for the ignition). with cars that have an immobilizer the do the same thing but they also remove the ecu and replace it with a jumper harness and an eobd1 ecu or an obd2a ecu. so those of you with the 00 or 01 type r's that remove your ecu at night i believe your actually making it easier for theives to still your car.

If you guys stop to look at all these Type R shells that have been stolen and are for sale. If you look you would realize that the door lock cylinders and the ignition cylinders are still intact and the windows are still there from not being broken..

Measures I've done to keep my R from getting stolen.
1. Disconnect the door lock cylinders so that no matter what key goes in the door the cylinder doesnt work. The door still locks by the electrical motor that is there. Also the door lock switch is disconnected so if thieves were to pull the window they cant use the switch to unlock it.

</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 11-01-2008, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98_R_1123 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> with cars that have an immobilizer the do the same thing but they also remove the ecu and replace it with a jumper harness and an eobd1 ecu or an obd2a ecu. so those of you with the 00 or 01 type r's that remove your ecu at night i believe your actually making it easier for theives to still your car.

7. sometimes, depending on the place I'm at, on drivers side part of the engine harness theres a little plug you can disconnect that will cause your car not to start. I forgot what this plug was called but Thieves like to be quick and this is probably gonna detour them cause now they gotta figure out why the car wont start, and highly doubt they walk around with this part in there pockets when they steal a car.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Can a jumper harness be used on an aftermarket ECU?, or do ECU's such as hondata, AEM, Chrome and such actually provide better protection if the harness cannot be used on such?
Old 11-01-2008, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98_R_1123 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think this measure above is a great one...

Anyone know if there is a device sold that attaches to the top of the window tract from the inside to stop thieves from pulling the window and slidding in an object to hit the lock switch from the inside????
Old 11-01-2008, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HOW ARE THIEVES STEALING OUR CARS?? Lets put our heads together (KOALA YUMMIES)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KOALA YUMMIES &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thieves troll this website too, so any info you post up they'll probably work on a way to counter it (if they don't already have a solution). BTW the "jiggler" key is nothing new. Stealing a car is not exactly hard and all the normal theft prevention means only work in layers together. Kill-switches and alarms are easily bypassed/killed, and I'd look into stronger, better, more in your face deterrents than worrying about prying windows, removing plugs and using universal keys. A center punch and a 10mm will get you farther and faster.

If you want to make your car more theft proof just think of how you go about stealing it in the first place, and don't post your methods on the internet, on one of the largest Honda forums on the web.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I understand your point as well, I guess its a double edge sword with this car, if we cant even discuss it without the thieves lurking. I was just trying to be creative and hopefully start something good.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HOW ARE THIEVES STEALING OUR CARS?? Lets put our heads together (KOALA YUMMIES)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KOALA YUMMIES &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah, I didnt mean to come off too negative. Looking back in the archives at other stolen threads can show what preventative methods were used and how the thieves broke in and took it. If they want it bad enough they will often get it, but use as many theft preventative measures and layers you can do and it will better your odds. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 11-01-2008, 12:48 PM
Banned

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98_R_1123 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Im probably gonna get some heat for this but, i believe the majority of theives (95%) of them are master keying our cars, or better known as jiggler keys. </TD></TR></TABLE>
No it takes too long. Quicker to unlock with a slim jim, only takes a few seconds and bypasses the lock tumbler defenses or lack of them entirely .
Layers of protection are good, I have some great ideas but if posted, they'd be useless because the thieves do their homework and read these forums, so make it hard for them to run down your home/work/school address where your car is parked and knowledge of what security measures you have.
<U>Note to thieves;</U> If you try to take another R from me, you may or may not find where I keep the car parked and you may or may not hear an audible alarm before I may or may not take aim with a firearm and blow your sorry head off.

Take measures to slow them down and fix it so <U>while</U> they are working on the layers to get to your caR, a silent or audible alarm is activated. Protect your property until the police arrive, most of us have the right to bear firearms and protect our property. If you do, consider this alternative and obtain the proper training and permits.
Keep it in a garage and if you have your own, remember you can extend the security layers around the outside of the car via security on the garage doors & windows and even invisible IR beams or ultrasonics inside. Both of these are cheap and available at any home supply store.
As a repo man said here; "Chain it down."
Keep from using valet parking and make sure your dealer or shop understands the concept of social engineering. It's easy for a thief to dupe your keys and remote if they gain access to them for a matter of minutes.

Remember time is a thieves enemy, the longer it takes them to steal a car, the greater the chance they have of being caught.
Chime in if I've forgotten anything.

Modified by The Dude at 3:57 PM 11/1/2008
Old 11-01-2008, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well i have guns, and just got another AK , let em try

EDIT : i have all the other goodies too ,

But i RELY on my RIFLE more than my alarm
Old 11-01-2008, 02:34 PM
GDD GRAMMAR POLICE

Default Re: HOW ARE THIEVES STEALING OUR CARS?? Lets put our heads together (00-501itrspec)

As stated above, you can almost open any honda/acura door with just another honda key you just have to jiggle it for a while and it's open, same for the ignition.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HOW ARE THIEVES STEALING OUR CARS?? Lets put our heads together (PhantoM.DA)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PhantoM.DA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">As stated above, you can almost open any honda/acura door with just another honda key you just have to jiggle it for a while and it's open, same for the ignition.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ive owned 6 integras over the years, gsr's, itr's, and if i lost or locked my keys in the car, it has worked for me many times. Please be aware of this!

I think this is a great thread to finally get in the open some tactics that myself and others would never know...I have no idea how to steal one, so how can I prevent someone who does?
Old 11-01-2008, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think this is a good thread. it doesn't matter what we say or who reads it. Every possible way of stealing a honda is already known. So I say put your ideas on here lets see what we can do in helping each other out with this situation.

i hate when people always want to bitch and moan about "how we shouldn't talk about this or talk about that". GTFO with that s***. how else is anyone supposed to learn anything about certain situations if no one ever talks about it.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I took the head off my car and removed the rods/pistons so it can't be driven away. It's working good so far.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:01 PM
Banned

Default Re: HOW ARE THIEVES STEALING OUR CARS?? Lets put our heads together (jeremyvr6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jeremyvr6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I took the head off my car and removed the rods/pistons so it can't be driven away. It's working good so far.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Still be rolled out of the shop. Just remove five lug sussy and leave it up on jackstands.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:15 PM

Default Re: HOW ARE THIEVES STEALING OUR CARS?? Lets put our heads together (The Dude)

let me say one thing if someone really wants your car no matter what you do THEY WILL GET IT ONE WAY OR ANOTHER. They will tow it when your not around or really late at night or they will follow you somewhere and take it when your in a store or such. Or worst case they will put a gun to your head and take your keys. I have heard some crazy stories. If i owned a itr i would make sure its in a garage. I had my buddy hook up reverse start on my hatch something to throw them off! The little stuff works!
Old 11-01-2008, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HOW ARE THIEVES STEALING OUR CARS?? Lets put our heads together (97CWITR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 97CWITR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I think this is a great thread to finally get in the open some tactics that myself and others would never know...I have no idea how to steal one, so how can I prevent someone who does?</TD></TR></TABLE>

x's a million, excactly what I thought, I actually think there should be an ANTI-THEFT STICKY THREAD AT THE TOP OF OUR FORUM, but that would be debated like the current election... however I also see the other side which is discussing new anti-theft measures could let the thiefs in on our secrets... but dont forget the internet is a large place, and anyone who thinks thiefs come to ONLY honda-tech on how to steal a honda is living in there own little world.

for all the people who posted saying "no matter what you do, if they want it they will get it" I agree, and I also say " thats what we pay insurance for" but at the same time none of us want to loose are cars so trying is better than nothing

And for all you guys saying we shouldnt post the anti-theft measures, I agree and disagree cause that same info thats in our heads on how to"try and stop thieves" is NOT JUST ON THIS FORUM, its all over the internet, not to mention when a thief walks up to your car or any car for that matter not just an ITR, they have no idea what measures it has for anti-theft, no matter how much we post about it.

theres no way they can link your honda-tech avatar to your car that is owned somewhere in this very large country.

SO AS A DISCLAIMER THIS THREAD IS NOT A DEBATE, ITS SIMPLY TRYING TO START AN ANTI-THEFT INFO THREAD FOR ITR OWNERS WHO WILLINGLY CHOOSE TO ENGAGE AND PARTICIPATE TO TRY AND PROTECT WHATS THERES, IF YOU DONT AGREE THEN DONT PARTICIPATE.

Modified by mikestypeRR at 6:30 PM 11/1/2008

Modified by mikestypeRR at 6:32 PM 11/1/2008

Modified by mikestypeRR at 6:32 PM 11/1/2008

Modified by mikestypeRR at 6:33 PM 11/1/2008

Old 11-01-2008, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is about a friend of mine... he doesn't have an ITR but he has a Red Si. We live in NYC so having a house is a privelege... he was living in an apartment and he used to park it on the streets (not a good idea).... they tried to steal it like 3 times...(yeah I know he didn't learn his lesson the first time)...then he ended up paying for a parking garage. The secret is layers apon layers. He used every trick in the book.

Boot on two wheels
4 different wheel locks
steering wheel club (hey...gives the theives more work)
cluch lock
gps
lojack
kill switches
re-pinned ECU
and other things...just don't want to type all of them

hey it might be a pain... but at least they didn't steal it....but them again a nice tow truck would have done the job (he got lucky)

They did vandalize the car the first time.when the theives couldn't take it.. he had to get it repainted
Old 11-01-2008, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (lenny_vp)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lenny_vp &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This is about a friend of mine... he doesn't have an ITR but he has a Red Si. We live in NYC so having a house is a privelege... he was living in an apartment and he used to park it on the streets (not a good idea).... they tried to steal it like 3 times...(yeah I know he didn't learn his lesson the first time)...then he ended up paying for a parking garage. The secret is layers apon layers. He used every trick in the book.

Boot on two wheels
4 different wheel locks
steering wheel club (hey...gives the theives more work)
cluch lock
gps
lojack
kill switches
re-pinned ECU
and other things...just don't want to type all of them

hey it might be a pain... but at least they didn't steal it....but them again a nice tow truck would have done the job (he got lucky)

They did vandalize the car the first time.when the theives couldn't take it.. he had to get it repainted</TD></TR></TABLE>

GREAT EXAMPLE, some of those measure that some of us dont know about proved to have stopped some amature thief's not ONCE BUT THREE TIMES in the story above, So the measures and shared info could do the same to save not only civics but ITR's.

Now yes, a tow truck or professional with enough time will get the car but then were splitting hairs, the fact remains this story should inspire us to do the same and help each other stop these local guys who are not skilled enough to get around some of the layers.

Quick Reply: HOW ARE THIEVES STEALING OUR CARS?? Lets put our heads together