how does this purge stuff hook up?? drawings inside:

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 06:21 PM
kaj
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how does this purge stuff hook up?? drawings inside:

all info is in regards to a 2000 Acura Integra Type R:

i'm trying to piece together my EVAP system, but i'm stuck with the last part.

in the following diagram, you can see a drawing of an evap canister. my canister actually does not look like this one, but i'll use it for reference. i have a port on the container labeled "5/8". this is my problem area. on my car, this port sticks straight up, as opposed to going to the side, along with the small one:

but, anyway: from the service manuals, it would seem that the 5/8" hose goes to a metal hard line. from the hard line it shows it goes to a solenoid near the gas tank. note that it also shows it going to a horizontal port on that solenoid:

first, how does a 5/8" hose fit on the stock, 1/4" hard line? or is the stock hard line 5/8" also? mine is gone, so i have no reference.
second. when i look under my car, the rear solenoid is all hooked up to the proper vacuum lines (i think. they don't look disturbed) except for one of the "ports" on a small, white, 1/8" vacuum "T" that is here:

which, as you can see, is on TOP of the solenoid, not on the side as shown in the second illustration. sorry no pics yet. i didn't have my camera.

anyway, do any of you guys know how this is all supposed to be routed? i'm looking for pics, info, etc. i'll post pics up of the rear solenoid tomorrow.

from what it looks like: the 5/8" hose goes to whatever size the hard line under the car was.. then it went down to a 1/8" vacuum line. that makes no sense to me.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how does this purge stuff hook up?? drawings inside: (kaj)

You must be getting your car ready for California inspection eh?

As far as the EVAP hose that goes to the hard line, from what I can remember, my hose was definately 5/8". It came out of the canister and terminated directly to that smaller hard line at the fire wall.

That 5/8" line is read as O.D. and the I.D. is obviously much smaller. It should wiggle right on, and be pushed over the flare on the hard line where it is held in place with a hose clamp.

As far as the solonoid undernieth, I am not sure of.

If you are unfamiliar with the EVAP system it is strictly designed to re route unburnt gas fumes back into the fuel tank. If you can get the stuff in the engine bay hooked up, you may get away with that leaving that little one undone near the tank. I think it would just vent to atmosphere.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Whats the point of having the evap canister?
Old 12-20-2006, 10:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (94rs-turbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94rs-turbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Whats the point of having the evap canister?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm pretty sure Brando covered it:
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Haleiwa-Brando &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">....If you are unfamiliar with the EVAP system it is strictly designed to re route unburnt gas fumes back into the fuel tank.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 12-21-2006, 12:23 PM
kaj
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how does this purge stuff hook up?? drawings inside: (Haleiwa-Brando)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Haleiwa-Brando &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You must be getting your car ready for California inspection eh?

As far as the EVAP hose that goes to the hard line, from what I can remember, my hose was definately 5/8". It came out of the canister and terminated directly to that smaller hard line at the fire wall.

That 5/8" line is read as O.D. and the I.D. is obviously much smaller. It should wiggle right on, and be pushed over the flare on the hard line where it is held in place with a hose clamp.

As far as the solonoid undernieth, I am not sure of.

If you are unfamiliar with the EVAP system it is strictly designed to re route unburnt gas fumes back into the fuel tank. If you can get the stuff in the engine bay hooked up, you may get away with that leaving that little one undone near the tank. I think it would just vent to atmosphere.</TD></TR></TABLE>

no inspection or smog.. just hooking everything back up 'cause cops in my town will pull you over (with a smog ref) and search your car. i gotta be 100% legal also, i don't want any CELs. my hard line is gone, so i was gonna run a new line under the car. was the hard line as big as large diameter as the rubber line? there is NO way the rubber line from the canister will fit onto the same-size hard line as the fuel return, etc.
as for the back, i'd like to hook it up 'cause with the "t" venting, i smell gas every once in a while

this sucks without pics. i'll go take some real quick.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:06 PM
kaj
Honda-Tech Member

okay. here are the other pictures. description:

1. this is the port where the service manual shows my charcoal canister should attach. as you can see, it loops around and connects to a quick-disconnect fitting. wtf? i THINK that quick-disconnect fitting is the fuel return line (also, according to the service manual), but i'm not 100% sure. i can't see where it goes. somewhere towards the top of the fuel tank. if it DOES go to the top of the tank, then it's not connected anymore, nor attached to a line that goes to the front of the car (just out of the camera views in pics one and three). confused yet? sorry.
2. this is where the solenoid connects to what i THINK is the fuel return line (?). if this is the return line, it is not being used.. and i don't know what to connect the solenoid to instead.
3. this is the 1/4" vacuum "t" that is open to atmosphere. it's the ONLY open spot that i can see (other than the "fuel return line"). so, it's the only place i can think that the canister, in the engine bay, would go.. but how would a 5/8" hose end up as a 1/4" vacuum line??!!

i have never dealt with the purge system before.. i'm so lost.

if you guys have any clue of what in hell i need to do, please let me know. this is very frustrating

Old 12-21-2006, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just so you know, your ECU will not throw a CEL. The entire EVAP system can be removed and your car will not be hindered in anyway what so ever. A hippy somewhere may shed a tear, but that is about it.

The EVAP canister and lines, as you know, are located low near the fire wall. The supposed police officer would need to know where to look and what exactly to look for.

There are lots of guys on here that don't have the EVAP system hooked up. If it becomes too much of a hassle trying to get it all hooked up, consider just leaving it all out.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how does this purge stuff hook up?? drawings inside: (Haleiwa-Brando)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Haleiwa-Brando &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If you are unfamiliar with the EVAP system it is strictly designed to re route unburnt gas fumes back into the fuel tank. If you can get the stuff in the engine bay hooked up, you may get away with that leaving that little one undone near the tank. I think it would just vent to atmosphere.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not entirely true...you are thinking of evaporative emissions in the wrong direction. The return type fuel system that the older b-series for example uses puts HOT unused fuel back to the tank...hot fuel creates vapor obviously. The evap system vents pressure off the tank into the charcoal canister which is then purged into the intake manifold under an off idle/not wot condition, so pressure inside the tank doesn't reach unsafe levels or vent to the atmosphere creating higher hydrocarbon emissions(tree hugger complaint). The system can sense leaks through unregulated pressure losses(thus the cel for the loose gas cap that some have gotten in the past. As far as disconnecting or leaving "unhooked" as long as it's done right....no issues. Done wrong can create some problems for you.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:28 PM
kaj
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how does this purge stuff hook up?? drawings inside: (Justin3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Justin3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Not entirely true...you are thinking of evaporative emissions in the wrong direction. The return type fuel system that the older b-series for example uses puts HOT unused fuel back to the tank...hot fuel creates vapor obviously. The evap system vents pressure off the tank into the charcoal canister which is then purged into the intake manifold under an off idle/not wot condition, so pressure inside the tank doesn't reach unsafe levels or vent to the atmosphere creating higher hydrocarbon emissions(tree hugger complaint). The system can sense leaks through unregulated pressure losses(thus the cel for the loose gas cap that some have gotten in the past. As far as disconnecting or leaving "unhooked" as long as it's done right....no issues. Done wrong can create some problems for you.</TD></TR></TABLE>

exactly. and when it vents, it is venting to atmosphere, which is why i smell gas sometimes.. and i hate it. i'm guessing it's coming from that open "t"?

i ran an OBD-I ecu for the longest time. i haven't ran it with the OEM ecu yet. i really don't want a CEL. to elaborate why i want this hooked up right: if a cop pulls you over, in my town, and he sees anything fishy, he will automatically give you a ticket to go see the ref (c.a.r.b. numbers or not). a ref WILL notice it not being hooked up right. i'd REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEALLY like to get this done the right way.

if any of you guys with an '00 ITR would take pics for me, i'd greatly appreciate it. i know it's cold- i didn't wanna get under my car either haha. but if you could, it would be a HUGE help.

thanks for all the posts, guys.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:40 PM
kaj
Honda-Tech Member

ttt
Old 12-22-2006, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kaj &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

exactly. and when it vents, it is venting to atmosphere, which is why i smell gas sometimes.. and i hate it. i'm guessing it's coming from that open "t"?

i ran an OBD-I ecu for the longest time. i haven't ran it with the OEM ecu yet. i really don't want a CEL. to elaborate why i want this hooked up right: if a cop pulls you over, in my town, and he sees anything fishy, he will automatically give you a ticket to go see the ref (c.a.r.b. numbers or not). a ref WILL notice it not being hooked up right. i'd REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEALLY like to get this done the right way.

if any of you guys with an '00 ITR would take pics for me, i'd greatly appreciate it. i know it's cold- i didn't wanna get under my car either haha. but if you could, it would be a HUGE help.

thanks for all the posts, guys. </TD></TR></TABLE>

It is new to me, to hear about someone throwing a code from the EVAP system. It isn't even a critical system to the well-being of the engine.

Out of curiosity, you have cops getting underneath cars to look into nooks and crannies of the gas tank?
Old 12-22-2006, 03:50 PM
kaj
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Haleiwa-Brando &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It is new to me, to hear about someone throwing a code from the EVAP system. It isn't even a critical system to the well-being of the engine.

Out of curiosity, you have cops getting underneath cars to look into nooks and crannies of the gas tank?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i don't KNOW that i will throw a code. i'm just making sure i don't. PD doesn't get under the car, no. they only search the engine bay/trunk/etc. i have no idea how the smog ref is. i've never been. i prefer to be 100% legal. i mean, if i'm gonna make it LOOK like all is hooked up.. why not do it?
Old 12-23-2006, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You will throw a code after a few driving cycles determined by the ecu. usually about 3 days. so if you r worried just reset the ecu just before you go for the check if that's possible. Not too sure about Cali. regulations.....from Canada. but it really is not that important....just for emmission purposes.
Old 12-23-2006, 11:08 AM
kaj
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how does this purge stuff hook up?? drawings inside: (pyitrboy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pyitrboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You will throw a code after a few driving cycles determined by the ecu. usually about 3 days. so if you r worried just reset the ecu just before you go for the check if that's possible. Not too sure about Cali. regulations.....from Canada. but it really is not that important....just for emmission purposes.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i hate CELs. i like my car to run right. all the time. as for smogging, it won't smog until the ECU has gone through it's check points. so, i can't really reset it and smog. at least i don't think.
either way, if i get sent to the ref (and i will, as i drive a honda in Fresno), it will all need to be hooked up to pass.

this isn't working... the service manual shows different than my car. i dunno HOW i'm gonna get this done.

if i figure it out, i'll make a thread detailing what goes where. hopefully that will help the next person that is in my situation
Old 12-27-2006, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Remove the white T-fitting and connect the hose directly to the solenoid. The solenoid should have only 2 hoses going to it. One from the intake manifold and the other to the charcoal canister. The reason you are smelling fuel fumes is because the system is not purging. There is a hose connected to the charcoal canister(coming from the black T-fitting) which is open at the other end to the atmosphere. When the pressure in the canister reaches a certain level, the fumes naturally discharge to the atmosphere from this hose. That should be the only hose not connected.

From the pictures you posted, it is most likely the vacuum leak from the T-fitting. If this does not work, check your solenoid. I may be wrong, but there should be a CEL for a faulty solenoid. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how does this purge stuff hook up?? drawings inside: (garyc17)

When I bought my 2000 GSR the entire system was removed. I tried piecing it together but gave up. It cost $450 in parts straight from Honda . ***** weak.

I'll try and get you some pics (even though its not a type r).
Old 12-27-2006, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how does this purge stuff hook up?? drawings inside: (mtny)

I had mine disconnected due to my AEBS IM, it put up a CEL a day later. I know it does not hinder performance in anyway, but it does throw a CEL and in CALI, you can't pass smog without it. I just T'd it off to another line. As long as it has vacume pressure, its all good. I passed with it T'd off.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:52 PM
kaj
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how does this purge stuff hook up?? drawings inside: (Hybrid 350GT)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid 350GT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I had mine disconnected due to my AEBS IM, it put up a CEL a day later. I know it does not hinder performance in anyway, but it does throw a CEL and in CALI, you can't pass smog without it. I just T'd it off to another line. As long as it has vacume pressure, its all good. I passed with it T'd off.</TD></TR></TABLE>

cool. but i gotta figure out how the basic system goes.. THEN i will run my own lines. i have both solenoids, the canister... all that. i just need to know where everything goes. the service manual isn't specific enough. haynes doesn't show what i need. even a schematic would help. this is the hardest thing i've ever tried to do on my car!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mtny &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">When I bought my 2000 GSR the entire system was removed. I tried piecing it together but gave up. It cost $450 in parts straight from Honda . ***** weak.

I'll try and get you some pics (even though its not a type r). </TD></TR></TABLE>

that would be F'ING AWESOME! i have all the parts.. i THINK. cost is not an issue.. i'm just missing where one line goes and everyone i know is stumped. apparently, i'm the only one in the country that wants it hooked up LOL. i guess everyone else's is removed. pics would help out GREATLY!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by garyc17 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Remove the white T-fitting and connect the hose directly to the solenoid. The solenoid should have only 2 hoses going to it. One from the intake manifold and the other to the charcoal canister. The reason you are smelling fuel fumes is because the system is not purging. There is a hose connected to the charcoal canister(coming from the black T-fitting) which is open at the other end to the atmosphere. When the pressure in the canister reaches a certain level, the fumes naturally discharge to the atmosphere from this hose. That should be the only hose not connected.

From the pictures you posted, it is most likely the vacuum leak from the T-fitting. If this does not work, check your solenoid. I may be wrong, but there should be a CEL for a faulty solenoid. Let us know how it turns out.</TD></TR></TABLE>

my "T" fitting is back by the gas tank, not anywhere near the canister or intake maniold. it is off the solenoid in the BACK of the car, as shown in the pictures i posted.

P.S. thanks for all the help, guys!! we'll get this figured out.. then the next poor sap that needs to do the same thing will have a thread that will help
Old 12-27-2006, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=garyc17]Remove the white T-fitting and connect the hose directly to the solenoid. The solenoid should have only 2 hoses going to it. One from the intake manifold and the other to the charcoal canister. The reason you are smelling fuel fumes is because the system is not purging. There is a hose connected to the charcoal canister(coming from the black T-fitting) which is open at the other end to the atmosphere. When the pressure in the canister reaches a certain level, the fumes naturally discharge to the atmosphere from this hose. That should be the only hose not connected. QUOTE]

i have that T because i have a aebs manifold. the state reff told me to "fix" my evap system. but all ends are close.
btw im in cali.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check the vacuum connections to the solenoid which connects to the canister. Your canister is just not purging the vapour back into your intake manifold.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:03 PM
kaj
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by garyc17 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Check the vacuum connections to the solenoid which connects to the canister. Your canister is just not purging the vapour back into your intake manifold.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes. i know.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So how's the progress?
Old 12-30-2006, 03:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

see if these diagrams help, the best pics (clear and detailed) Ive found online

Old 12-30-2006, 11:19 AM
kaj
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how does this purge stuff hook up?? drawings inside: (RTW DC2R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by garyc17 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So how's the progress?</TD></TR></TABLE>

still trying to get info together. i can find no illustrations that are like my car. i'm gonna get some more pics and post them around. this is impossible.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RTW DC2R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">see if these diagrams help, the best pics (clear and detailed) Ive found online
</TD></TR></TABLE>

^^ that pic helps a bit. it's closer to how my car is than the service manual pics i was using (though my service manual is for a '98 integra). now, if i can figure out where part #20 (hardline) connects in the back of the car, i'd be set. but yes. that does help me figure out some stuff up front. thanks!

thanks.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well heres the tank, so those connect somewhere on here, probably to the tank somewhere or on a sensor or hose

Quick Reply: how does this purge stuff hook up?? drawings inside: