Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Has anyone removed the black canister under the Battery?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone removed the black canister under the Battery?

Has anyone removed the black canister under the Battery? I believe it is there for emissions purposes.

I was thinking of getting rid of it.
Old 08-01-2003, 01:07 PM

Default Re: Has anyone removed the black canister under the Battery? (White Dragon)

Are you talking about the canister that is to the right of the battery?? Underneath the battery is the tray...
Old 08-01-2003, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Has anyone removed the black canister under the Battery? (Art Vandeleigh)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Art Vandeleigh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Are you talking about the canister that is to the right of the battery?? Underneath the battery is the tray...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I thought the spark plugs where underneath the battery...
Old 08-01-2003, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Has anyone removed the black canister under the Battery? (Art Vandeleigh)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Art Vandeleigh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Are you talking about the canister that is to the right of the battery?? Underneath the battery is the tray...</TD></TR></TABLE>

It is just to the right, but sits lower than the battery.
Old 08-01-2003, 01:34 PM
len
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Has anyone removed the black canister under the Battery? (White Dragon)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=521563

This was posted way before my current NA setup.
Old 08-01-2003, 01:46 PM

Default Re: Has anyone removed the black canister under the Battery? (len)

IM not sure, but I think you might throw a code, because the EVAP canister goes to the EVAP purge control solenoid....and that inturn is connected to the ecu...so im guessing that you will throw a code..but dont quote me on that.

I mean either way it only really works when it is storing the fuel vapor until it gets sucked into the ingine and burned....so i guess you can remove it, but i think you will have to do something about the pressure sensor on the fuel fuel tank....
Old 08-01-2003, 01:49 PM
len
Honda-Tech Member

I have mine unplugged and stock ECU, only code I got is VTEC and MAP Sensor right now. I lost my VTEC Solenoid.
Old 08-01-2003, 01:52 PM
len
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Art Vandeleigh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so i guess you can remove it, but i think you will have to do something about the pressure sensor on the fuel fuel tank.... </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm to lazy to remove the entire hard line and plug the sensor system up right now, but I have no problem with it. I did notice a huge difference in fuel economy though. I get about 40 miles to the TANK.
Old 08-01-2003, 01:57 PM

So this is the result of taking out the EVAP canister?? what did you do about the EVAP purge control and the two way valve and three way valve?? did you just plug the nipples up?? but what about the pressure sensor on the tank?
Old 08-01-2003, 09:11 PM

What does it HURT to leave it in place? Doesn't anyone want to preserve the Environment?

Fuel Economy is important factor in performance on a daily driver.
Old 08-01-2003, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by len &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I did notice a huge difference in fuel economy though. I get about 40 miles to the TANK. </TD></TR></TABLE>

what ?

all the canister does is filter off excess fumes from the tank , it has nothing to do with mileage...
Old 08-02-2003, 10:31 AM

Default Re: Has anyone removed the black canister under the Battery? (Spoond TEG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Spoond TEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What does it HURT to leave it in place? Doesn't anyone want to preserve the Environment?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Haven't you learned yet? It is the goal of every H-T Type R owner to remove every part of the car that is deemed "unnecessary, because it has nothing to do with going fast" in the spirit of finding the cure for boredom
Old 08-03-2003, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Has anyone removed the black canister under the Battery? (Spoond TEG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Spoond TEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What does it HURT to leave it in place? Doesn't anyone want to preserve the Environment?

Fuel Economy is important factor in performance on a daily driver.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If that is the case, why didn't you buy a '91 CRX HF to preserve the environment? It isn't like I am talking about buying an H2 Hummer to drive 50 miles to and from work in every day.
Old 08-03-2003, 09:48 PM
Trial User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Spoond TEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What does it HURT to leave it in place? Doesn't anyone want to preserve the Environment?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Word.

There's a difference in removing items for a race car and pulling them off your street car. What will it gain you?
Old 08-03-2003, 11:13 PM

Default Re: Has anyone removed the black canister under the Battery? (Floyd)

I've got a huge hole burned in the top of mine from trying to clean the battery posts and spilling baking soda and battery acid on top of it. It's had a hole in it for years and I still get 33-34 mpg on the highway with 148K

I think I'll plug up some hoses later and take the canister out
Old 08-04-2003, 04:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Floyd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Word.

There's a difference in removing items for a race car and pulling them off your street car. What will it gain you?</TD></TR></TABLE>

For one, removing the charcoal cannister will reclaim a huge amount of space in the engine bay to make room for something else, a catch can perhaps. Let's not kid ourselves. If the charcoal cannister was positioned in such as way that it would preclude installation of an aftermarket intake on our cars, you tree huggers wouldn't think twice about yanking it off.
Old 08-04-2003, 05:18 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Has anyone removed the black canister under the Battery? (Batoutahell)

Yeah, I might remove it if it was in the way of a mod I wanted to do. But to remove it just for the sake of removing it?
Old 08-04-2003, 05:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The evaporative emissions system does not hurt performance in any way. Removing the charcoal cannister for the sake of weight savings or aesthetics is silly. Leave it unless you have a very good reason for removing it.
Old 08-04-2003, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Floyd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah, I might remove it if it was in the way of a mod I wanted to do.</TD></TR></TABLE>

My point exactly, and I think that's Whitedragon's intention.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Floyd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">But to remove it just for the sake of removing it? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Agreed.
Old 08-04-2003, 05:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Has anyone removed the black canister under the Battery?

fyi.. list price = $178.50
Old 08-04-2003, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Has anyone removed the black canister under the Battery? (Willard)

It's too bad someone as respected as Wes (whitedragon) can't ask a legitimate question. I've got $100 bucks that says his car WITH the cannister will kick these damn tree hugging ***** off any road course

Wes put on Expo 2 and is one of only a few people who has been able to make it to all 3 of the past Expo events. **always in Advanced group**

So, before anybody else wants to pretend they are the BPOTB (big ***** on the block) maybe, just maybe they should consider who they are speaking too.

There - I feel better now. I guess my HT rant is complete
Old 08-04-2003, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Has anyone removed the black canister under the Battery? (BudMan)

Oh yea - WhiteDragon is a little too conservative to make a nice point to the smartasses who want to make fun of his question by answering as though his car is a daily driver...so I'll make it for him:

HE DOES own a CRX HF for daily driving "Beaters Rule"
Old 08-04-2003, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Has anyone removed the black canister under the Battery? (zyg)

Zyg - you 'da man... just below sakai on " 'da man" hierarchy
Old 08-04-2003, 03:46 PM
len
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Has anyone removed the black canister under the Battery? (Doctor CorteZ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Doctor CorteZ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what ?

all the canister does is filter off excess fumes from the tank , it has nothing to do with mileage...</TD></TR></TABLE>

That was a joke. I really didn't have any time to test the canister just by removing it. It gets 40 mph to the TANK because of my cams.