Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Grinding noise when driving

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding noise when driving

When drivings, sometimes I hear a grinding noise , similar to the noise when you are getting a key made, but no as high pitched or loud.

It sounds like it is comming from one of the wheels; what could it be?
Old 12-03-2005, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Grinding noise when driving (onyx00)

Check your splash shields. My friend hungster had the same problem on this board and fixed it to see a little plastic hardware came off.

Edit: They may be rubbing your tire.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Grinding noise when driving (migs)

No, I don't think its that.

Aren't there bearings in the wheels? I dunno, I will look in to this more; I think something is just wearing out.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What exactly are you doing when you hear the noise? Taking off from a stop? Turning? Does it seem to go away after a while during a drive?
Old 12-04-2005, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

By what little info you've stated, my guess would be a hub bearing. If you can elaborate more we might be able to give a better diagnosis.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Grinding noise when driving (330R)

Well, it seems mostly while coasting in gear. So foot off the accelerator, or at least letting up. I believe I can get the same sound while the car is coasting in neutral as well, but I will verify that Monday morning.

I am thinking hub bearing too just because of the sound; I mean it just kind of sounds that way.

Any way to verify that the hub bearing is going on the front? I am thinking because of the tranny I can't freely spin the wheel to test for the sound. Maybe a visual inspection of some type?

Plus, what are we talking for replacement? I think I need some specialized tools for that like a press. So maybe not something I can do on my own. If so, what am I looking at in terms of cost to fix something like this?

*** Oh, sorry, one more thing; if the hub bearing is bad, does it need to be replaced right away? How urgent is the problem if it is the hub bearing going? ***

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 12-04-2005, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

For the most part, it wont be a safety issue unless you ride the problem forever. It could cause abnormal tire wear. If the bearing is bad, Len can sell you for roughly 70ish?

You will need to remove the knuckle from the vehicle. Bring it to a shop and have them press in and out the bearing. You can re-use the hub in most cases. I still have yet to see a bad hub.

To check it, assuming all your balljoints and tierods are in good condition, shake the wheel holding the 9 and 3 oclock position. There should be movement.

GL and hope this helps.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Grinding noise when driving (migs)

To clarify, if there is movement when I shake it then that indicates a bearing that is failing?
Old 12-04-2005, 05:11 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

don't hold at 9 and 3, because if a tie rod end is bad or the steering wheel isn't held tight, you will get movement.

Hold the tire at 6 and 12 and push/pull accordingly, seeing if you have slop in the wheel bearing.

If the noise is only apparent with the car in gear and coasting, then it's an internal trans failure

If the noise is apparent with the car in neutral and coasting as well, then it's a wheel bearing/axle/external tranny failure
Old 12-04-2005, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Grinding noise when driving (Evs-One)

Well I just checked both front wheels and no play.

I think the next step is to figure out whether I notice the noise in gear, and in neutral.

Obviously if I am hearing it in gear, and then pop the car in neutral and it goes away, it is the trans. I am hoping that however is not the case.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:56 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by onyx00 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well I just checked both front wheels and no play.

I think the next step is to figure out whether I notice the noise in gear, and in neutral.

Obviously if I am hearing it in gear, and then pop the car in neutral and it goes away, it is the trans. I am hoping that however is not the case. </TD></TR></TABLE>

How many miles do you have? With some track use, my front bearings lasted 30K miles and the rears 60K miles.

Is it louder when turning/bending in one direction? With mine, I could "slalom" a little in a straight line at 50-60 MPH, and you could hear it turning right.

I have a video with a bad wheel bearing, you can hear it whine when turning right (clockwise tracks have more right turns, so the left bearings get more use)

http://www.we-todd-did-racing....5NTQx
Old 12-04-2005, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Grinding noise when driving (Chris F)

The last time I heard a noise like that it was a bearing in the tranny. Time for a rebuild maybe.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Grinding noise when driving (SoCal ITR)

have you checked to see if the dust shields on the brakes are rubbing agains the rotors? I've had that happen a few times and it sounds just like what you're describing and can happen on and off. Might just be as simple as that. Just a thought.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Grinding noise when driving (Erik95LS)

Yeah; I didn't hear it today. Next time I hear it I will take it out of gear and it the noise doesn't go away I will then proceed to check the brakes, etc. Good idea.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:42 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by onyx00 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah; I didn't hear it today. Next time I hear it I will take it out of gear and it the noise doesn't go away I will then proceed to check the brakes, etc. Good idea.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Haha! I have had a pebble and a bolt each get stuck in my brake caliper, between the caliper and rotor. Sounded like crap both times, scared the hell out of me.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:41 PM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: Grinding noise when driving (Chris F)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chris F &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sounded like crap both times, scared the hell out of me.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Scared you more, or less, than your car catching on fire?
Old 12-05-2005, 05:28 PM

Default Re: Grinding noise when driving (nsxtasy)

when your checking for the wheel bearing play you need to have the car jacked up so that the tire is off the ground. try your hands at 9 and 3 and 10 and 4 and 12 and 6. try it all and just wiggle back and for and see if you feel any movement of any sort.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:21 AM
Rcp
Honda-Tech Member

i have the same sound.. i heard it while in or out of gear.. crusin at 50 @ 2500 rpm i can hear it most audible at that speed.. and if im goin 60 and i put it in the neutral and when the needle falls down.. right about 2500 if i was to be at 3000 i can hear it right when it passes that certain rpm.. weird i tell ya but i still haven't fixed that problem.. no check engine light either..
Old 12-06-2005, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (vutek)

Well the sound was really bad on the way home today. I jacked up the car expecting to find something.

Nothing. I checked the bearings as suggested, no loose parts, etc.

So I am thinking it could be the suspension...

I dunno, might need to make a trip to Basch in Tempe on this problem.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (onyx00)

I was looking into this same problem with my friend hungster and we simply checked our splash shield? Have you checked that? I know it might seem off the wall but we have a tendency to look at the most obvious and easiest places?
Old 12-06-2005, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (migs)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by migs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was looking into this same problem with my friend hungster and we simply checked our splash shield? Have you checked that? I know it might seem off the wall but we have a tendency to look at the most obvious and easiest places? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats what I suggested. Mine used to do it all the time.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (migs)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by migs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was looking into this same problem with my friend hungster and we simply checked our splash shield? Have you checked that? I know it might seem off the wall but we have a tendency to look at the most obvious and easiest places? </TD></TR></TABLE>

I thought I corrected the issue when I reattached the splash shield to all the mounting points, but my noise came back after awhile. My noise does not occur as often but I still hear it. I've just been way too lazy to re-investigate.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hungsteR)

You did correct it by mounting the bolts as I should have stated. Another noise? Shizzle
Old 12-07-2005, 01:17 AM
Rcp
Honda-Tech Member

what is a splash shield?
Old 12-07-2005, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (vutek)

With my Prelude I get a similar grind.

When cold, and going over any kind of bump, you can hear some grinding in the front end of the car. I can't duplicate it when the car is warm, or when the car is not moving.

Splash shield maybe? Tie rod ends? Steering arm? Are these two probs related?

https://honda-tech.com/zeropost?cmd=fshow&id=4

Quick Reply: Grinding noise when driving