Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

The End of an Era

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The End of an Era

After much thought I have decided to part ways with my 1999 Integra Type R.

I had dreamed of ITR ownership since the 1996(ish) Sport Compact Car issue that featured it versus the GSR on TSW blades. I was in my late teens at the time and street racing forced me to look at imports as a real candidate for potential. As soon as I laid eyes on the ITR I knew it was "the one". I knew it without even needing to drive one. Pricing would put it out of range for me in 1997 when they were released in North America even though I had connections through the auto industry. Those connections were charging upwards of $5k - $8k over MSRP due to demand. Alas, my plans were thwarted until 2003 when this one popped up at an auction with only 53,000kms. It had a theft claim on it but that didn't matter to me as the chassis was clean from collisions. Shitty Tein coilovers and a Mugen ***** **** were the only mods. After a nice ego filled bidding war with another dealer the hammer fell and I was an owner. Yay! Let the experience begin. After I wrote the cheque and headed to the parking lot where it was located I realized that this would be the first time I would have ever driven one. Would it stack up to my own self-built hype? Answer: **** to the ya! Discovering VTEC was incredible as I had no idea about anything at this time. I wanted neon lights underneath as my first mod so that will give you context as to where my head was at at that stage of my life.

After a few months of online searching for more info I stumbled upon Honda Tech through A&J Racing's website. From there I would read as much as I could. Finally ended up joining in March 2004. The ITR community was in full swing with Expo's happening annually and members posting threads daily asking everything from what are the best mods, what race tracks to attend, how to dial in suspension, and everything in between. From there I learned that these cars belong on a closed course so I shifted my vision towards that aspect and began sourcing parts to suit that need. Started tracking in 2005 until about 2009 when I just ran out of time to do so. I had the pleasure of attending Expo 8 and Expo 9 when I could finally put some names and faces to user names. An amazing life changing experience in itself and one I could talk about for hours. I entered a local car show and took home 3rd place for Best Acura only beaten by two NSX's. I'm not much of a show car guy but I can appreciate the tidyness of a show car and it was nice to showcase all of the hard work that my shop had put into the car and get recognition for it. Shortly after this a tarp cover fell on the car causing a bunch of damage. It was heart breaking to see the car in this state but insurance fixed it and it was put back good as it was previously. I had considered selling it at that time but then decided to go ***** out and have the motor built in the best form a B18C5 could be in my opinion. A year or so later, after many many hours/days of research, the ball started rolling. A year later I had a fully built 230whp B18C5 motor ready for battle. Enjoyed it for a few more track days but it mostly sat and only enjoyed sporadically on the street on weekends with friends. Kids and a mortgage came into my life about 4 years ago and that led to more distance between me and the caR. Over the past few months I had considered selling it as it was a shame to just let it sit. I felt that I had done everything I ever wanted to do to a Type R and now it was time to pass it down the line. I reached out to some close people in my life to get the word out amongst friends so it could be an arms length transaction. The sentimental value this car has with me couldn't let me just sell it to anyone and it needed a good home. Last month a deal was struck and the title has now changed hands. I always feared this day but it feels pretty liberating since I had already gone through the mindset of selling and it went to one of the best homes it could. All in all, a perfect conclusion to 15 years of ownership.

Although Honda Tech is not what it used to be since social media platforms having forced forums to take a back seat, I still recognize this place as one that bred me to be the car person I am today and where I met most of the people I know to this day. For that, I am forever grateful. To all that have helped, encourage, steered and guided me over the years, THANK YOU!! I am a product of my surroundings and couldn't be the person I am today without all of the fine people that have entered my life over the last 15 years. I'll post a few photos from over the years as a trip down memory lane.

The day I bought the car October 2003. Polished stock wheels with bozo center caps.
Name:  mX2LyQq.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  48.4 KB

Name:  sAueQu2.jpg
Size:  75.4 KB

The stunna parking lot days
Name:  UM9khQA.jpg
Size:  154.4 KB

That was boring so let's hit the track
Name:  Oi7cWsO.jpg
Size:  72.9 KB

And a car show
Name:  AXTU3Bp.jpg
Size:  62.3 KB

Just gonna park it here for the winter
Name:  s2XEBx4.jpg
Size:  69.2 KB

Name:  1ROPP7x.jpg
Size:  55.7 KB

Got it fixed, had the motor completely built, and it had now become the car I had envisioned
Name:  Ze7JDre.jpg
Size:  59.9 KB

A few more track days and then it was time to say goodbye (last pic of the car while it was still mine from April 4th, 2018)
Name:  W4NGdrz.jpg
Size:  220.2 KB

Big ups to this industry and scene(good and bad and for what it's worth) as it has taught me so many things over the years. A new chapter starts now and things are looking promising. Cheers

Last edited by white rocket; 04-07-2018 at 12:00 PM.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:28 AM
Beard

Default Re: The End of an Era

Pics not showing up...
Old 04-06-2018, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My gut tells me you'll be back looking to get back into anotheR
Old 04-06-2018, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by white rocket
Enjoyed it for a few more track days but it mostly sat and only enjoyed sporadically on the street on weekends with friends. Kids and a mortgage came into my life about 4 years ago and that led to more distance between me and the caR. Over the past few months I had considered selling it as it was a shame to just let it sit. I felt that I had done everything I ever wanted to do to a Type R and now it was time to pass it down the line. I reached out to some close people in my life to get the word out amongst friends so it could be an arms length transaction. The sentimental value this car has with me couldn't let me just sell it to anyone and it needed a good home. Last month a deal was struck and the title has now changed hands. I always feared this day but it feels pretty liberating since I had already gone through the mindset of selling and it went to one of the best homes it could. All in all, a perfect conclusion to 15 years of ownership.
Nicely summed up Sir. I'm sure it was a wrench, but it has bookended a happy era and now it's still out there living for someone else to have their own era with it. Like any true classic, so many have gone, but you were the custodian for yours for a time and now it's likely to have many more custodians for many more years. Kudos. The car is a credit to you and the new owner I'm sure knows it and him or her will add their own story. Can't say better than that IMHO.

Although Honda Tech is not what it used to be since social media platforms having forced forums to take a back seat,
Sadly in my humble. Arsebook is fine, but it tends to be either "Look at me and my car, give me likes!" or sales pitches. The techie stuff and all that grassroots and expert knowledge is rare and when it occurs quickly vanishes. Forums like this are fantastic and searchable fonts of knowledge.

BTW your pics don't show up in the thread as Guy noted, but oddly do show up when you go to reply to your post. And bloody nice pics of a bloody nice car, sorry caR they are. I did have a giggle at the "****........." one. It looks like it's looking at you saying "seriously man, WTF?" .

*EDIT* your pics are showing up now.
Old 04-06-2018, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Seedc2
My gut tells me you'll be back looking to get back into anotheR
He has a second R that is in very nice condition purchased from a fellow HT member
Old 04-07-2018, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First saw this on Instagram. Its a shame that social media has torn apart forums, and put so much knowledge on the back burner all over the ease and convenience of flashy pictures and quick posts. None the less I hate to see such a sweet car leave your hands after so many years. DONT SELL YOUR OTHER ONE! haha
Old 04-07-2018, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Pictures fixed, I think.

For those that inquired, I have a 2000 CW with 80,000kms in mostly original condition(missing stock suspension) and that will be the keeper. I have resto plans for it over the years but for the most part it doesn't need anything.

Name:  OSw1O5O.jpg
Size:  172.7 KB

Name:  IL1reki.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  204.8 KB

Name:  jOnvxjv.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  242.8 KB
Old 04-07-2018, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was feeling all sad for you...and then found out you still had one left

Scott, who noticed the era ended a Long Time ago...I'm just an ember floating on the wind refusing to go out yet...
Old 04-08-2018, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That engine must have been amazing with 230 whp.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^ x2 230!! That would be perfect NA power.

Two questions. Were those OEM NSX wheels in the first picture? Did the front strut tower bar have grey ends from the factory like that? Mine are pretty corroded but look like they were original black.

Oh and and f**k social media. I'll be contributing to forums for as long as they are in business.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by touringteg
^ x2 230!! That would be perfect NA power.
I thought it was. But with anything, you get used to it and want more. IMO it was the perfect blend of high(ish) N/A power and torque curve while remaining true to the B18C5 and also remaining streetable and reliable.

Originally Posted by touringteg
Two questions. Were those OEM NSX wheels in the first picture? Did the front strut tower bar have grey ends from the factory like that? Mine are pretty corroded but look like they were original black.
Just OEM ITR 15's powder coated gloss black. I had the front STB brackets painted kaiser silver along with the rear trunk bar and lower subframe bar.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Pics don't work
Old 04-14-2018, 07:55 PM
What would Chente do?

Just popping in here to say hello and i still remember the ride along i got at Expo #3 i believe at Beaver Run with the Mugen ecu redline.

Louie~ who still pops in here from time to time.
Old 04-17-2018, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just hearing about this now - sorry to see that you are moving on, but as others have suggested... you'll be back ;-)

Hope to share track time again with you some day!
Old 04-18-2018, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Great story, lots of changes.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Pics still don't show
Old 05-29-2018, 06:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no pictures
Old 05-30-2018, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I made a similar thread over at ITR Expo that can be seen here: https://www.typerclub.org/forums/vie....php?f=5&t=299. The pics seem to work there no problem. Here, the pictures only work occasionally.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Pics are working now. I still remember that Driven to Perform show, with the red cage and red se37k. I talked to Adrian and even G5 crew didn't know u change the setup for the show.

Sick and stunning car.