Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

do your aftermarket lug nuts seem to catch while tightening?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default do your aftermarket lug nuts seem to catch while tightening?

i've noticed tht my kyo-ei lug nuts don't turn smoothly when i'm tightening them down with my torque wrench on my ce's. they seem to catch or stutter, for lack of a better word. does anyone else experience this? i never had this problem with the oem nuts on my oem rims
Old 07-18-2007, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: do your aftermarket lug nuts seem to catch while tightening? (an2ny888)

Yeah I've noticed it with certain brands and certain materials. Sometimes the threading isnt all that great. Muteki, Rays, Skunk2 and the discontuned Zenkis were all good for me. The extended version of the Work lugnuts sucked, along with those Kicks project lugnuts with the free spinning lug seat.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: do your aftermarket lug nuts seem to catch while tightening? (KOALA YUMMIES)

I use Buddy Club extended open end lugs. They work great without hesitation. However, I do use anti-seize on them too.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:52 PM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: do your aftermarket lug nuts seem to catch while tightening? (migs)

The lug nuts I bought at the parts counter at Autozone work just fine, never catch, screw on very smoothly. And they were just over a buck apiece.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: do your aftermarket lug nuts seem to catch while tightening? (nsxtasy)

Silicone spray ftw...
Old 07-18-2007, 10:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i also use anti seize on them, didn't really help. i'm thinking there might be too much friction between the lug nut and the seating surface on my ce 28's
Old 07-19-2007, 01:51 AM

if you're on oem wheels make sure the lug nuts you picked up are ball seat style lug nuts..

aftermarket lugnuts tend to be acorn style and can possibly mess up your wheel and make it difficult to torque down..
Old 07-19-2007, 02:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (all_motaUSA)

i think you're confusing the terms, ball seat and acorn both refer to the oem style lug nuts, while aftermarket lugs are usualy tapered
Old 07-19-2007, 04:05 AM

Default Re: (an2ny888)

i mean the seat on the wheels..

different seat style lugnuts..>
Old 07-19-2007, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: do your aftermarket lug nuts seem to catch while tightening? (Circuit Star-29)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Circuit Star-29 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Silicone spray ftw...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Serious? All that does is lubricate it when threading on. The correct substance should be anti-seize.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:03 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: (all_motaUSA)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by an2ny888 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i think you're confusing the terms, ball seat and acorn both refer to the oem style lug nuts, while aftermarket lugs are usualy tapered</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by all_motaUSA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i mean the seat on the wheels..

different seat style lugnuts..&gt;</TD></TR></TABLE>

You've got the right idea, but the quotes AND the diagram shown above are both wrong.

There are indeed two different shaped seating areas for lug nuts and wheels. (The seating area is the area in which the two come together.) And you do indeed need to get lug nuts with the same shaped seating area as your wheels.

Honda/Acura wheels and lug nuts have a ball-shaped seating area. This is also called spherical or radius.

Aftermarket wheels (and most aftermarket lug nuts) have a tapered seating area. This is also called conical or cone.

The term "acorn" is used to refer to lug nuts that are short, about the same length as they are wide. This term is sometimes incorrectly used to refer to the ball-shaped seating area, not the tapered area as shown in the incorrect illustration above, but it really should refer to the shape of the lug nut. You can have acorn lug nuts with a ball seat, and acorn lug nuts with a tapered seat.

Here are two correct illustrations of the different shapes for the seating area:

Old 07-20-2007, 12:43 AM

Default Re: (nsxtasy)

my bad....that pic, you posted was the pic i was lookin for but couldnt find
Old 07-20-2007, 12:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Some more good info to know.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:05 AM

i plan on running the rays extended lugs on my oem wheels will i be ok???
Old 07-20-2007, 09:26 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: do your aftermarket lug nuts seem to catch while tightening? (an2ny888)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by an2ny888 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i've noticed tht my kyo-ei lug nuts don't turn smoothly when i'm tightening them down with my torque wrench on my ce's. they seem to catch or stutter, for lack of a better word. does anyone else experience this? i never had this problem with the oem nuts on my oem rims</TD></TR></TABLE>

I experience the same thing with both my Rays Engineering lugs on my Type-R, and my discontinued Zenkis on my Prelude.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CDN Yellow ITR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i plan on running the rays extended lugs on my oem wheels will i be ok???</TD></TR></TABLE>

Most will disagree with me, but you can get away with it. I'm using Rays on my stock wheels right now, and every few days I just go back around and resequence them to make sure none of them are loosening. Honestly, once in a while one or two have loosened up a bit.

It would be safer to run OEM lug nuts, they're only about $40 new at Honda/Acura for a full set.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by migs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Serious? All that does is lubricate it when threading on. The correct substance should be anti-seize.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Anti=seize would be best, but a simple, quick solution can be Silicone spray. Usually spray the threads on the nutz before I reinstall. Last time I did this was last october. Just removed the lug nutz yesterday and were very smooth upon backing them off...