Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Countershaft reassembly problem...1st gear wont rotate

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Countershaft reassembly problem...1st gear wont rotate

dammit. so after finally getting to my brother in laws house who has a bench vise, we attempt to torque the nut down to 80ft/lbs. the helms says to torque it 80 -> 0 -> 80, which I assume means torque it to 80, loosen it, and torque it again. so I did that, and now 1st gear will not rotate on the countershaft. 2nd gear rotates fine, so I would assume if I torqued it down too much, 2nd wouldnt rotate either. I torqued it down to 85ft/lbs just to be safe, could that have caused this problem? damn it and it woulda been finished tonight!
Old 10-19-2006, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Countershaft reassembly problem...1st gear wont rotate (RTW DC2R)

.....do you have the syncro sleeve engaged to 1st?
Old 10-19-2006, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Countershaft reassembly problem...1st gear wont rotate (Black R)

no the synchro and the sleeve where on second. only reason I noticed it was because I was trying to put the **** back together and needed the sleeve to be on 1st so I could put on the shift fork. the synchro, sleeve, and 2nd gear are fine.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jon, says you never have a problem rotating his shaft.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RTW DC2R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no the synchro and the sleeve where on second. only reason I noticed it was because I was trying to put the **** back together and needed the sleeve to be on 1st so I could put on the shift fork. the synchro, sleeve, and 2nd gear are fine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dissasemble it and recheck that you put the syncro's on correctly. There is an orientation up and down in the helms that you have to follow. Also, are the friction dampers (little plastic pieces) oriented and sitting correctly in their spacing?

What is the distance with a feeler gauge - between 1st and syncro's vs syncro's and 2nd?
Old 10-19-2006, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I vote for Black R to fly up north and show us how to rebuild a tranny
Old 10-19-2006, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ken, you lost me a bit. what do u mean distance between the gear and synchro? the synchro floats on the gear itself so I dont know what you mean.

In the below pic from your thread, there is no space between that bottom washer and 1st gear, it is pressed on too tight somehow. I just need to know why. Everything seemed to move fine until I noticed it wasnt moving after we torqued down the nut.

the 1/2 sychro sleeve looks just like yours in the below pic. the sleeve is not holding the gear and wont even go on the gear because the teeth arent lined up because it wont rotate to line up correctly.

Im wondering if it might be something screwy with this countershaft...the splines are very slightly different compared to my stock countershaft. Ill see if I can get a pic when its disassembled, hopefully tomorrow.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:25 PM

Default Re: (RTW DC2R)

Isn't 1st gear a fixed gear on the counter shaft?
Old 10-20-2006, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no 1st gear is not a fixed gear on the countershaft. it rides on a split bearing.

heres is what we determined tonight. it is a problem with the mfactory/infinitude countershaft and here is why:

the 1/2 synchro HUB was NOT resting on the flange it is supposed to rest on when torquing down the nut. the flange appears to be too low on the countershaft, or the teeth for the FD on the countershaft are too long, which makes the HUB rest on 1st gear instead of the flange. what was happening was when torquing the nut down, the synchro HUB was compressing on the 1st gear synchro, and in turn, compressing the 1st gear itself into the flange/shim that it sits on. we ensured everything was installed correctly(x10), checked all clearances and measurements of spacers, gears, shims, etc.

the jerry rigged resolution (yet to be determined if successful: we put a THINNER THAN STANDARD SPEC shim (made one ghetto style from a snowmobile clutch shim) under 1st gear. what this did was let 1st gear sit .42mm lower on the countershaft, so that when torquing down the nut, the HUB rests on its flange now instead of 1st gear. the problem with this is that it makes 1st gear sit lower and closer to the clutch housing (already damn close to begin with) and actually made it rub on one of the washers on the mainshaft. soooo, we put thinner washers at the bottom of the mainshaft as well and appears to clear ok now. the problem with THAT is that now the entire mainshaft is sitting lower and not as snug in the tranny housing and I didnt have any big enough shims to shim the mainshaft bearing at the top.

so after all is said and done, the tranny is back in the car and I will finish up tomorrow and find out if it works or not. I hooked up the linkage and test shifted it and it seems to shift ok, might be another story once everything is rotating. I only need it to work temporarily so I am hoping this will do the trick for now. Ill baby it the first few miles just to see how it works assuming I dont hear anything funny when trying to pull out of the garage. I plan to fully redo the trans over the winter. sorry I couldnt get any pics. and I tried to contact the manufacturer numerous times and they never got back to me
Old 10-20-2006, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Please check your email. Thank You.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:35 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Countershaft reassembly problem...1st gear wont rotate

Originally Posted by MFactory
Please check your email. Thank You.
Sorry for reviving this old thread...
I'm having the same problems, even tried with the gearing from another countershaft to be sure.

Can you (Mfactory) please enlighten me ?

Thanks,