Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Claybar damages clearcoat?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2004, 01:38 PM
ITRFetish2000

Default Rumor about Mother's Calif. Gold Claybar damaging clearcoat?

Rumor about Mother's Calif. Gold Claybar damaging clearcoat?

I heard a rumor that using detailing claybars to remove impurities from your paint will actually damage your paint and strip off your clearcoat....has anyone heard of this before?
Old 05-16-2004, 01:40 PM
.RJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Rumor about Mother's Calif. Gold Claybar damaging clearcoat? (OemOutfittedITR)

Sounds like BS to me. Mothers claybar =
Old 05-16-2004, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rumor about Mother's Calif. Gold Claybar damaging clearcoat? (.RJ)

proper use of a claybar shouldnt hurt the clearcoat
Old 05-16-2004, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rumor about Mother's Calif. Gold Claybar damaging clearcoat? (dmotoguy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dmotoguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">proper use of a claybar shouldnt hurt the clearcoat</TD></TR></TABLE>
ditto
Old 05-16-2004, 01:48 PM
ITRFetish2000

Default Re: Rumor about Mother's Calif. Gold Claybar damaging clearcoat? (dmotoguy)

what is considered proper use? plenty of lubricant?
Old 05-16-2004, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Rumor about Mother's Calif. Gold Claybar damaging clearcoat? (OemOutfittedITR)

Definitely plenty of lubricant. Youll find this out real easy when youre claybarring....gotta soak the surface or you'll drag clay...real annoying.
Old 05-16-2004, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rumor about Mother's Calif. Gold Claybar damaging clearcoat? (newgsrdriver)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by newgsrdriver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Definitely plenty of lubricant. Youll find this out real easy when youre claybarring....gotta soak the surface or you'll drag clay...real annoying.</TD></TR></TABLE>Yah and the bar will most likley fall out of your hand and that sucks because most likley you are going to have to through out the bar if thers a lot of dirt & rocks in it because it will scrach your paint and we dont want that.
Old 05-16-2004, 03:51 PM

Default Re: Rumor about Mother's Calif. Gold Claybar damaging clearcoat? (r573)

You have to be sure to turn the claybar to a new side after a while as contaminents do biuld up after use, and be sure to use lots of quick detailer to keep you paint lubed up. You can also clay your car while you are washing it as car soap is very slippery.
Old 05-16-2004, 07:44 PM

Haven't heard that rumor but I'll vouch for the opposite. The first week I bought my ITR I spent about 10 hours claybaring every inch of it (mother's claybar). By the time I was done, the paint looked as good as the 4 door type r that was on the cover of Import Tuner last month.
Old 05-16-2004, 11:13 PM
IVI
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rumor about Mother's Calif. Gold Claybar damaging clearcoat? (SLCTyper)

the mothers clay bar works really well. ive used it on older and newer cars. it worked wonders on my civic, it made the paint feel like i was touching glass. very smooth and it removed all the tar deposits by the front wheel well. i havent done it to my teg yet because its freshly painted and it doesnt need it. you only really need it if after washing your car your paint feels rough like its not smooth.
Old 05-17-2004, 06:05 AM
shit post warrior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Rumor about Mother's Calif. Gold Claybar damaging clearcoat? (newgsrdriver)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by newgsrdriver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Definitely plenty of lubricant. Youll find this out real easy when youre claybarring....gotta soak the surface or you'll drag clay...real annoying.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Here's a little tip to help with lubricating the surface for use with a claybar.

Leave the car wet after rinsing an use the lubricant in addition.
Old 05-17-2004, 07:35 AM
sk8

Default Re: Rumor about Mother's Calif. Gold Claybar damaging clearcoat? (ITRbroham)

Claybars own.

I had over-spray from painting some wheels over a year ago. With some elbow grease, it took it all away. I forgot what CW actually looked like without an orange tint to it.
Old 05-17-2004, 07:51 AM

Default Re: Rumor about Mother's Calif. Gold Claybar damaging clearcoat? (scott k)

&lt;&lt;&lt; Another owner for the clay bar
Old 05-17-2004, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rumor about Mother's Calif. Gold Claybar damaging clearcoat? (98ITR#0020)

how much is a mothers clay bar.

How many wash applications do you get with one?
Old 05-17-2004, 08:06 AM
sk8

Default Re: Rumor about Mother's Calif. Gold Claybar damaging clearcoat? (kendogg)

I bought mine in a kit. I believe it was around $30 dollars.
Old 05-17-2004, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rumor about Mother's Calif. Gold Claybar damaging clearcoat? (kendogg)

Clay Magic is ~$10.00 for the kit. Good for about 2 detailing jobs.
Old 05-17-2004, 08:35 AM

Default Re: Rumor about Mother's Calif. Gold Claybar damaging clearcoat? (scott k)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by scott k &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I bought mine in a kit. I believe it was around $30 dollars.</TD></TR></TABLE>

k-mart
Old 05-17-2004, 08:42 AM
sk8

Default Re: Rumor about Mother's Calif. Gold Claybar damaging clearcoat? (RealTypeR)

No, ricer store
Old 05-17-2004, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

mix up some car soap (like Westleys) with water in a spray bottle if you don't have any spray for the bar
Old 05-25-2004, 03:41 PM
IVI
Honda-Tech Member

its less than 20 bucks at any auto store like pepboys. it should be good for 2 full cars i believe. once you drop it on the ground id probably just throw it out if you get stones stuck to it. i wouldnt wanna risk rubbing stones into the paint.
Old 05-25-2004, 04:17 PM

Default Re: Rumor about Mother's Calif. Gold Claybar damaging clearcoat? (Tweakmeister)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tweakmeister &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">mix up some car soap (like Westleys) with water in a spray bottle if you don't have any spray for the bar</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep, that's what I do except I make up a bucket of soapy water to use as a the lubricant. That way you are assured of having enough lubricant w/o the bar sticking. I bought my bar from a paint supply store. For $20 it was like 4 times the size of the mothers bar you get in the kit. They even have different grades of bars depending on what you are trying to do.
Old 05-25-2004, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rumor about Mother's Calif. Gold Claybar damaging clearcoat? (kkim)

another option is to just run a steady stream of clean water out of the hose on the car where you are use the claybar.

I like this better than the spray bottle, because the spray stuff tends to leave a funky haze that you have to wash off. and a continous stream of water will keep washing away any loose particles from the paint, and also help keep the clay cleaner.

and when you're done, you are ready to dry and wax.
Old 05-25-2004, 06:09 PM
PlastikOwl

Default Re: Rumor about Mother's Calif. Gold Claybar damaging clearcoat? (mike-y)

Claybar 0wnz j00!!!
That's a '95
Old 05-25-2004, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rumor about Mother's Calif. Gold Claybar damaging clearcoat? (PlastikOwl)

That looks really nice for a 95. Too bad my 95 is way beyond a clay bar
Old 05-25-2004, 10:58 PM

Default Re: Rumor about Mother's Calif. Gold Claybar damaging clearcoat? (HiRevn)

yea clay bar hurt my car

washing w/ mothers soap
clay bar w/ mothers clay bar
klasse all-n-one paint cleaner
1 coat of klasse sealant glaze
1 coat of p21 wax

all makes my car look dam sexy
and let it be known...thats a 95...w/ no pink bumpers

Quick Reply: Claybar damages clearcoat?