Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

B Series Tranny Gearing Compatibiliy (since other forums are useless!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default B Series Tranny Gearing Compatibiliy (since other forums are useless!)

Sorry to repost this here, but maybe you guys can help.

My ITR trans is in need of some TLC. And being that I have a turbo, Id like to extend the gearing some and am looking into possibly swapping some gearing for either GSR or LS gears. For instance, is it possible to just swap 1, 2, and 5th gears from a GSR or LS into an ITR tranny? Are the spacers, synchros, etc different in a GSR or LS compared to an ITR? I dont want to buy a GSR or LS gear set and have them not work in my ITR trans. Since my trans is in need of an overhaul, Id rather rebuild this one with different gearing than just buy a whole new/used GSR or LS trans and then have to swap out the LSD.

Ive done some searching, there is a lot of information on the gear ratios of each, but its hard to find info on physical compatibility of the gears themselves when swapped between the different trannys.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Take the turbo off, problem solved...

Old 09-13-2006, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nevARrrr
Old 09-13-2006, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: B Series Tranny Gearing Compatibiliy (RTW DC2R)

I believe that the GSR gears can be swapped onto the input and counter shafts.

Have you bought a set of gears yet? I have a set, looks like the syncros are the only thing bad.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:50 PM
D

Default Re: B Series Tranny Gearing Compatibiliy (RTW DC2R)

I have a **** ton of LS and b series internals in general. PM me if you're interested.

Main differences are CS, diff and ring gear ID in addition to gear ratios.

D
Old 09-13-2006, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no I havent bought anything yet. still researching to see what gears I want to try to go with. obviously all synchros would be replaced. at this point Im thinking maybe GSR 1-4, and LS 5. I just dont know if all that is compatible or not. and by gear sets, that means there is a gear on the main shaft and countershaft for each gear right? I really dont know much about trans aside from Kens post on his rebuild. Ive never even cracked a tranny open or seen the gears first hand.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RTW DC2R)

Yeah, there is a gear on each shaft for each gear/speed. Maybe we can work out a trade on the gear assemblies?.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if i were you, i'd just keep the usdm itr gears and just repair the syncro's.

if you have the $, a brand new tranny is very much worth it.....
Old 09-13-2006, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Comp97GSR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Comp97GSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah, there is a gear on each shaft for each gear/speed. Maybe we can work out a trade on the gear assemblies?. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Im not really looking to get rid of the R trans. at the very least I want to rebuild it with the diff gear ratios, or just get another trans entirely but Im trying to avoid that at this point.

D, Ill be near philly tomorrow. sent you a PM.

Ken, at the very least, I need longer gearing for my setup. I easily run out of gear and since I do drag race on occassion, I dont want to be shifting to 5th in the 1/4. id rather be able to run 4th out a bit longer.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RTW DC2R)

seems to me the best performance option would be "close ratio gears" (OEM ITR), but a numerically lower/taller final drive.

MFactory has what you need.

B18C USDM 4.05 - $500 Shipped! (taken from their thread in the perf. forum)

Old 09-14-2006, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: gravity rides everything...everything will fall, se GA/ne FL
Default Re: (RagingAngel)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RagingAngel &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">seems to me the best performance option would be "close ratio gears" (OEM ITR), but a numerically lower/taller final drive.

MFactory has what you need.

B18C USDM 4.05 - $500 Shipped! (taken from their thread in the perf. forum)

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Or just swap in the LS 4.26 ring and output shaft. I wouldn't mess with the stack ratios you have RTW DC2R, like RagingAngel and BlackR has mentioned.

but if you must, concerning hydro B series transmissions:

*with vtec transmissions you can swap each main and counter set and not have to worry about shift forks or hub/sleeve differences. if you use the gsr 2nd, you need to swap your mainshaft to a gsr or base integra. 1st gear ratio is the same across all b series transmissions.

*with non-vtec gears into your transmission, you can use 5th gear with no issues. if you use either 3 or 4 main and counter sets, you will need to use the 3/4 non vtec hub/sleeve as well as the shift fork for the base integras. basically if you use ls 3rd, you need to use 4th as well and vice versa. 2nd gear is single cone synchro on the non vtec so it wouldn't make sense to downgrade. the 1/2 hub is incompatible with the vtec dual cone 2nd gear setup. plus the 2nd gear sleeve synchro mesh isn't as pointy as the vtecs. 1st gear ratio is what you already have so no need to touch that. if you want a taller 2nd, use the gsr since it's dual cone and your hub/sleeve is already setup. if you use the gsr 2nd set, you need to swap your mainshaft for the ls or the gsr.

*pinion swaps are straightforward swaps as far as non vtec and vtec (excluding the 4.78), BUT you would not be able to reuse your itr/gsr i.d. diff or lsd if you try to use a 4.26 oem final drive...forgot about that. LS and B16 share the same i.d. rings. Type R and GSR share i.d. rings.

*if you have any ?'s just ask me.

Modified by not so civic at 12:46 PM 9/14/2006
Old 09-14-2006, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (not so civic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by not so civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Or just swap in the LS 4.26 ring and output shaft. I wouldn't mess with the stack ratios you have RTW DC2R, like RagingAngel and BlackR has mentioned.

but if you must, concerning hydro B series transmissions:

*with vtec transmissions you can swap each main and counter set and not have to worry about shift forks or hub/sleeve differences. if you use the gsr 2nd, you need to swap your mainshaft to a gsr or base integra. 1st gear ratio is the same across all b series transmissions.

*with non-vtec gears into your transmission, you can use 5th gear with no issues. if you use either 3 or 4 main and counter sets, you will need to use the 3/4 non vtec hub/sleeve as well as the shift fork for the base integras. basically if you use ls 3rd, you need to use 4th as well and vice versa. 2nd gear is single cone synchro on the non vtec so it wouldn't make sense to downgrade. the 1/2 hub is incompatible with the vtec dual cone 2nd gear setup. plus the 2nd gear sleeve synchro mesh isn't as pointy as the vtecs. 1st gear ratio is what you already have so no need to touch that. if you want a taller 2nd, use the gsr since it's dual cone and your hub/sleeve is already setup. if you use the gsr 2nd set, you need to swap your mainshaft for the ls or the gsr.

*pinion swaps are straightforward swaps as far as non vtec and vtec (excluding the 4.78), BUT you would not be able to reuse your itr/gsr i.d. diff or lsd if you try to use a 4.26 oem final drive...forgot about that. LS and B16 share the same i.d. rings. Type R and GSR share i.d. rings.

*if you have any ?'s just ask me.

Modified by not so civic at 12:46 PM 9/14/2006</TD></TR></TABLE>

.....where were you when I was rebuilding my tranny?

Ryan, keep the itr ratios and just figure out what size slicks will let you trap at the top of 4th.....!
Old 09-14-2006, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the info everyone I ran into some other issues today at the dyno so the tranny issues are on hold for now.