Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Assistance Needed: Clutch / Timing Belt diagnostic issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 11:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Assistance Needed: Clutch / Timing Belt diagnostic issue

IT JUST WENT OUT ON ME WHILE I WAS DRIVING TODAY. I DRIVE A 97 ACUR INTEGRA TYPE R AND JUST HAD A TIMING BELT, WATER PUMP, TENSIONER KIT INSTALLED LIKE 2 WEEKS AGO. I TOLD THEM AT THE SHOP TO CHECK AND FILL ALL LEVELS OF FLUID AND THEY SAID THEY WOULD AND DID. I KNOW THAT WAS A LIE BECAUSE I HAD TO ADD SOME POWER STEERING FLUID, ANTIFREEZE IN THE RESEVOIR, AND WINDSHEILD WASHER FLUID. I DIDNT CHECK THE CLUTCH LEVEL. TODAY WHEN I CHECKED WHEN IT WENT OUT ON ME IT WAS BASICALLY DRY HAD THE TUBE STICKING OUT A LITTILE WHERE IT COULD SUCK AIR IN. I THIINK THAT IS WHAT THE PROBLEM IS BUT I DONT KNOW. I HAD THE CLUTCH MASTER CYCLINDER CHANGGED BEFORE LIKE 2 YEARS AGO. I DONT KNOW IF I SHOULD TAKE IT BACK TO THIS SHOP AND BITCH THEM OUT FOR NOT CHECKING THE FLUIDS AND LYING TO ME BECAUSE IF THAT IS WHY IT DIDNT DO IT THEY BETTER FIX IT FOR FREE. I DO'T KNOW WHAT HAPPEN TO MAKE THE CLUTCH GO OUT DOES ANYONE HAVE AN IDEAS BEFORE I TAKE IT IN.. I ALREADY BOUGHT DOT 3 BRAKE FLUID AND ADDED IT AND PUMPED THE CLUTCH BUT STILL JUST GOES TO THE FLOOR NOTHING HAPPENED. THE FLUID DIDN'T LEAKE THOUGH. i'M A HOME NOW I'LL CHECK IT WITH MY S300 BUT DOUBT ILL GET ANYTHING. DON'T KNOW IF I SHOULD TAKE IT TO THE SAME SHOP AND BITCH THE HELL AT THEM FOR NOT DOING WHAT I ASKED AND THEY SAID THEY DID. THEY JUST ADDED ANTIFREEZE TO THE RADIATOR. EITHER WAY I FEEL LIKE ITS THERE FAULT THEY SHOULD HAVE CHECKED AND AT LEAST FOUND IF SOMETHING WA ACTING UP. THEY PROBABLY DID IT SOMEHOW CHANGING THE TIMING BELT KIT. I DON'T KNOW. OR SHOULD I TAKE IT TO ANOTHER SHOP. I JUST WANT IT DONE RIGHT AWAY I'M SUPPOSE TO BE LEAVING ON A LONG TRIP AND LEAVING TODAY AT 8 AM THAT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN NOW. ANYWAY IF ANYONE KNOWS WHAT IT MIGHT BE OR HOW TO FIX MAYBE IF IT GOT AIR IN THE LINE LET ME KNOW. THANKS MASTEROFPHONES.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default re: Assistance Needed: Clutch / Timing Belt diagnostic issue

Okay for starters the clutch system has nothing to do with changing a timing belt at all. The only reason you should go bitch at the shop is if they charged you to check your fluids, the shop i work at we normally do it for free if you getting work done. If the didn't charge you maybe they didn't have any Honda approved power steering fluid so they didn't add any. The reason you take your car to a shop to have it worked on is they know that a clutch system has to be bled if it is empty you can't just add fluid. What tube are you talking about the clutch system consists of the master cylinder, hard line that screws into it that runs alone the fire wall. Then a soft rubber line to the slave cylinder no tube. All your going to do is **** off the shop if you bitch at them for something they probably did for free demanding that the repair something they didn't touch for free. So either figure it out yourself or calm down and take it to a professional to have it diagnosed correctly.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright thanks man. I know the clutch has nothing to do with the timing belt I just feel like they might have put a leak in the line when they were fixing it. The tube I'm talking about is the one that is in the reservoir you add brake fluid too. I took it too a shop and I figured you had to bleed the line, but I was hoping I didn't have to do that and I hope that is all it needs. I think there might be a slow leak though. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

So, where do you think all of the clutch fluid went BEFORE you took the car in for a timing belt service ??? Essentially, if the shop failed to top off the clutch fluid... where do you think the missing fluid went ??? You had a problem before. You will need to pull new fluid through the entire line to purge the air... once the bottom of the reservoir is exposed to air, air will be pulled into the clutch line.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I got bigger issues now. The shop that fixed the msaster and slave clutch sysyloid must have some how screwwed with the timing betlt or cam because now its makeing all kinds of noise and I t won't keep the power in the car. I dont' think it is the alternator and the starter might be out again and I have a warranty on it will be the 3rd time it's changed I hope they do it right away though I'm suppose to be gone acccross country. This **** pisses me off fand kind of ruinned my life with my girl becauee of it This tie I'm taking it to were it where the timing belt was chagned for them to adjust it or look at it and then proabaly tae ti to the shope where I got the startrer and have the guy to get another freee starter. Retuned it because I think they unppugged tthe battery and screwed up my tune you can't drive my car with out a proper tune. THat and took this last sh0op 0ver an hour to pick me up and i'm 15 minutes away guy kept getting lost ect. They haeve towed me 8 tiimes from my house I know this guy not a tow truck driver but come on these days to find a place is easy Not happy about any of this. Hve to hit up maybe all 3 shops and maybe4
Old 05-04-2017, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

when you say wont keep power do you mean like the alternator light is coming on, or car wont turn over? I am sorry for your trouble it is hard to find a good shop no a days.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Holy hell I can't read that. You shouldn't be driving the ITR right now. Sounds like your timing belt is way off. Also unplugging the battery does not erase a tune from the ECU.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:53 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

I feel bad for the type r, not the owner. All good though. So whats next on the list of things to do.
Old 05-06-2017, 05:46 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by tony_2018
I feel bad for the type r, not the owner. All good though. So whats next on the list of things to do.
This needs to stop driving, and you need to tale this to another shop Pronto
Old 05-11-2017, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by civic-steve-94
when you say wont keep power do you mean like the alternator light is coming on, or car wont turn over? I am sorry for your trouble it is hard to find a good shop no a days.
Supposedly the alternator belt was loose. You ask me they did it some how when they installed the clutch master cylinder and clutch slave cylinder. Oh well. Now I think I'm having issues with the starter again for the 3rd time now. I made it from Florida to Kansas though so the car still badass. Also for the person who says that not taking the battery off does not change the tune. I don't know about that one. I'm pretty sure if you disconnect the battery long enough you lose the tune. If not then how do I lose a tune before? It just magically go away?
Old 05-11-2017, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My timing belt is fine just had that replaced. I made them double check that and put a new spring on it to make sure the tension was perfect. Then went 1500 miles and 100s of miles since then to Kansas did 1500 miles in 2 days. Besides burning a little oil maybe no issues except for my starter I think going out again. I couldn't get that checked in time for the warranty on it in Florida like last time. I had to get to Kansas in 2 days for my Girlfriends Birthday and I made it!
Old 05-11-2017, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by civic-steve-94
Basically just lost power while driving. I guess that had to do with the alternator belt being loose.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by masterofphones
Also for the person who says that not taking the battery off does not change the tune. I don't know about that one. I'm pretty sure if you disconnect the battery long enough you lose the tune. If not then how do I lose a tune before? It just magically go away?
That was me. I have a car running Hondata K-Pro with a base tune that hasn't been started in 8 years. I dropped in a battery and it started right up. I have another tuned K-swapped Civic that was down for 10 months. After putting everything back together it fired right up. Didn't have to re-upload a map or anything. Point I'm getting at is something else besides unplugging that battery somehow erased your tune. Either that or you thought your tune was erased and in trying to diagnose the problem you simply uploaded another map.
Old 05-11-2017, 04:08 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by TheShodan
This needs to stop driving, and you need to tale this to another shop Pronto
why me bro, i wish i had a type r.....
Old 05-11-2017, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
why me bro, i wish i had a type r.....
Ask OP. I'm sure he's willing to come down in price now that his ITR has issues.
Old 05-12-2017, 02:51 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 217 Likes on 195 Posts

instead of paying a shop to do every single thing like topping off fluids, why not WORK ON THE DAMN CAR YOURSELF? Working on cars isn't rocket science. Then again, some folks shouldn't be working on cars. Sell the ITR and get a Camry, like a '97 or '98. Plain and simple and nothing much goes wrong with those cars.
Old 05-12-2017, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: Assistance Needed: Clutch / Timing Belt diagnostic issue

Originally Posted by NVturbo
instead of paying a shop to do every single thing like topping off fluids, why not WORK ON THE DAMN CAR YOURSELF? Working on cars isn't rocket science...
Working on OLD cars isnt.

Try dealing with a car that has 30+ modules and wont start because a bad sensor brought down the CAN network......