Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Air box lid on/off comparison...

Old 07-16-2002, 09:44 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air box lid on/off comparison...

Hey how is everybody? Glad to hear it.

I just spent 10 hours in the car driving through the mountains here in BC ( going btwn Abbotsford and 100 Mile House on hwy 1 for those who know the route ). Stinking hot both ways.. I went up country with the air cleaner lid on, back down with it off.. I have a K&N drop in... The car is more responsive ( no surprise ) with the lid on and everything buttoned up stock. Feels like more than a bit more top end power with the box lid on as well..

Made a couple of Harley's pull over cause of the sound of the car coming up behind them with the lid off.. That's gotta be worth something But overall the car needs the cold air shot from outside the motor compartment..Makes a big difference...
Probably just removing the resonator would be the best compromise...

Either way I just love passing things in this car... That third gear pull is soooo addictive. I can hear an ATS calling to me... I have to sell this car before I kill myself
Old 07-16-2002, 10:17 PM
Jsracingintegra

Default Re: Air box lid on/off comparison... (lotus)

Never trust your butt dyno or your ear dyno, it doesnt work. Put the lid back on.
I saw a dyno of a Type R with the lid removed and it lost hp. Then I saw a dyno with the resonator removed and it lost more hp.

If you want good hp gains with a loud sound get a cold air intake like AEM or INJEN.
Old 07-16-2002, 11:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Air box lid on/off comparison... (Jsracingintegra)

That's what he said. Read it again carefully.

Never trust your butt dyno or your ear dyno, it doesnt work. Put the lid back on.
Old 07-17-2002, 12:01 AM
New User

Default Re: Air box lid on/off comparison... (Tommy_Gunns)

Yea that's what I thought I said...

I knew the answer to the lid on/off question before I did it.. This was just a good chance to try it out for a longer run..

outside air rocks
Old 07-17-2002, 12:05 AM
New User

Default Re: Air box lid on/off comparison... (Jsracingintegra)

I saw a dyno of a Type R with the lid removed and it lost hp. Then I saw a dyno with the resonator removed and it lost more hp.

If you want good hp gains with a loud sound get a cold air intake like AEM or INJEN.
It's odd that it would lose HP with the resonator removed.. Maybe the car was getting hot by the time that dyno pull took place..The resonator is just one big air restriction.. Maybe some tuning will get the HP up when the res is removed..The motor may be running slightly leaner with it gone
Old 07-17-2002, 01:22 AM
New User

Heya lotus, glad to hear you're still enjoying the car.

Taking off the cover for the first time was a joyful experience, installing the AEM was one i'd rather forget

My butt dyno is an insensitive peice of crap. Could'nt notice any differences with cover on, off, or aem on, off.

Enjoy it while you can, few individuals on earth will have had the chance to experience what we have.
Old 07-17-2002, 03:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's odd that it would lose HP with the resonator removed.. Maybe the car was getting hot by the time that dyno pull took place..The resonator is just one big air restriction.. Maybe some tuning will get the HP up when the res is removed..The motor may be running slightly leaner with it gone
Car had a BIG fan on it to simulate road drive as best as possible and it lost 6 whp with the resonator remoived. The other car that did this with the same fan on the same dyno lost 3 whp. Both cars had been cooled down between runs since we had the dyno for the whole day.

THe Airbox on a Type-R isn't really a restriction (Check out a Civic or GSR). ANd it is pulling cold air from the wheel well and without it only hot air from the engine bay is used.
Old 07-17-2002, 05:32 AM
MPH
New User

On the Dyno the lid off gave me 2hp everywhere. But the fan is blowing right on it. Keep the lid on.
Old 07-17-2002, 05:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Air box lid on/off comparison... (MPH)

On the Dyno the lid off gave me 2hp everywhere. But the fan is blowing right on it. Keep the lid on.
I didn't test with the lid off just the resonator out. Lid of on a dyno makes sense that if would add power and lose power on the street.
Old 07-17-2002, 06:19 PM
New User

Default Re: Air box lid on/off comparison... (Asahi)

Car had a BIG fan on it to simulate road drive as best as possible and it lost 6 whp with the resonator remoived. The other car that did this with the same fan on the same dyno lost 3 whp. Both cars had been cooled down between runs since we had the dyno for the whole day.

THe Airbox on a Type-R isn't really a restriction (Check out a Civic or GSR). ANd it is pulling cold air from the wheel well and without it only hot air from the engine bay is used.
Oh I see, you guy's took the whole box and pipe assy out, so you were back to pulling air from under the hood... What I was thinking was removing just the box and leaving the piping into the fender so you still get the intake out of the motor compartment.. That should get the cold air without making it snake around in the resonator... at that point the resopnator would be just an added restriction...
Old 07-17-2002, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh I see, you guy's took the whole box and pipe assy out, so you were back to pulling air from under the hood... What I was thinking was removing just the box and leaving the piping into the fender so you still get the intake out of the motor compartment.. That should get the cold air without making it snake around in the resonator... at that point the resopnator would be just an added restriction...
That is exactly what I did. I cut the tube off the resonator that run to the airbox and re-attached it - now I am drawing air from near the stock location without the resonator...
Old 07-17-2002, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Driving in the BC mountains rocks!
Old 07-17-2002, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Air box lid on/off comparison... (Phat Bastard)

Nice review, Mark. I cut my piping apart and removed the resonator. I noticed no difference with my GHETTO CAI, but my butt dyno is a little numb. If you want you can try my intake out at the next meet, before you commit to cutting your stock stuff.

ps I didn't end up useing that GSR intake tube, it was a little smaller than the R equivalent. I'll bring that to the next meet too.

Speaking of "next meet".........
Old 07-17-2002, 08:11 PM
New User

Default Re: Air box lid on/off comparison... (Ddub)

Lotus,

Kinda OT but..... hows the Elan coming along??

Sam
Old 07-17-2002, 09:06 PM

Default Re: Air box lid on/off comparison... (Sam & Bridget)

ok so lemme get this strait, driving on the road without the resonator is bad or good? sorry i'm an uber n00b hehe...
Old 07-17-2002, 11:05 PM
New User

Default Re: Air box lid on/off comparison... ('00TypeR)

Hi Sam.. Long time no talk to..The Lotus is buried under a ton of crap due to the sale of my house and the pending move...I should have the registration sorted out for it in a couple of weeks ( the licencing office finally said yes I can use my oem vin plate... which was essential to keep the collectibility of the car intact. It took me almost 6 mos working with, and against sometimes, them to bring the car back to life). remember it was a total loss from back east when I bought it, off the road for twenty years.

http://www.imagestation.com/mypictur...ption=mvc-031s

I was stalling finishing the car until I knew I could register it, but now the race is on to finish it by the end of the summer.I just need exhaust, glass, interior ( mostly done ) and a charging system that works ( I hate generators ).

The car is driveable, but i haven't yet.. Can't wait though.. Ask Ddub... the car just looks like it wants to rip!

Hey Ddub.. sorry about the air tube.. Yea I'll take it back, I can use it somewhere.
Cathie still won't let me play with the airbox too much, but the gains are so small,it doesn't really matter to me that much.. If things go well when we repurchase another house, we'll keep the car and the ATS will be going into it..

She won't even notice that... heh heh

I'll probably be better off with this car than buying another one in a couple of years cause this one is such a tight car, and we don't beat on it ( unless we are testing and tuning against you! )
Old 07-17-2002, 11:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Mark, keep the ITR. It's a rare breed and a ton of fun to drive.

How many cars can you name that gets 40+ mpg on the highway (Canadian gallon) with 195 hp on tap?

It took me 17.1 litres to go 250 km's while travelling at an average speed of 130 km/h (that's 36 mpg on USA gallons or 41 mpg on Canadian gallons).

For some free mods, try advancing the timing to 18 degrees.
Old 07-17-2002, 11:26 PM
New User

Default Re: Air box lid on/off comparison... (Tommy_Gunns)

Yea that's exactly what we got.. 40 mpg.. Funny, the sticker on the window when we bought it said 28 city/32 hwy... LOL they must have left it in third gear!
Old 07-18-2002, 05:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The ricer in me addmittedly removes the lid occassionally for the the sound. Hey, let's face it chicks dig the VTEC crossover with the lid off My girl seriously gets the biggest grin on her face and giggles when I stomp 1st through 3rd gear with the lid off
Oh yeah, and the butt dyno thinks there is more torque down low and a smoother VTEC crossover with the lid on...
M