Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

98 R DOWN AND OUT

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 R DOWN AND OUT

First and for most I have searched and have came up with nothing. Long story short I picked up a 98 ITR last year that I have rebuilt completely. Picking up the car as a parted shell I threw in a jdm gsr longblock to move it around. After all the repair was done I had absolutely no issues No cels etc Recently I was able to buy back the original motor which is now in the car. I am running the car as stock as possible. Stock airbox, stock exhaust, stock USDM p73 ecu etc. Basically the issue am I am having and can not seem to figure out is code 14, searching for idle. First it was a no brainer, pull the IAC clean reinstall and go.. I Have already cleaned it and no luck, even tried with two other know good working IAC's, with exact same results. After resetting the ecu I can drive the car with no issues at all. Good response, no immediate cels no smoke etc. After driving for roughly 30 minutes or so when coming to an idle is when the car throws the code and idle becomes horrible sounds like its missing really bad, I thought maybe the purge valve solenoid valve could be the issue since I was not running one previously. Any one have any ideas or can steer me in the right dirrection. Thanks
Old 05-08-2017, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 98 R DOWN AND OUT

Might be way off here, but I knew a chap with a similar issue with a Civic EK9 R with the similar engine and he went through all the obvious like yourself and it turned out to be the weak point on our engines, the distributer. He swapped that out and the problem went away. Actually I had a kinda similar problem myself. The engine would run fine until it got above a certain temperature and then would run like a three legged horse, cut out, ran rough and then die and again it was the dizzy at fault. Might be worth a look?
Old 05-08-2017, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 98 R DOWN AND OUT

Originally Posted by ****
Might be way off here, but I knew a chap with a similar issue with a Civic EK9 R with the similar engine and he went through all the obvious like yourself and it turned out to be the weak point on our engines, the distributer. He swapped that out and the problem went away. Actually I had a kinda similar problem myself. The engine would run fine until it got above a certain temperature and then would run like a three legged horse, cut out, ran rough and then die and again it was the dizzy at fault. Might be worth a look?
Appreciate the info I have another I'll try out. Only one way to find out. Thanks