Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: 98-0914 Resurrection

The car looks amazing! Great work.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Do you have any other pictures installing the top piece? Do you have the writeup from the service manual?
Old 10-31-2017, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Built2grind
Thanks guys.^^

I finally managed to get my doors put back together. I should have wrapped them up a long time ago, but I hit a speed bump in the form of a few pieces of discontinued door sash tape. These are the pieces of vinyl that are applied to the top and sisde of the door panesl to fill in the areas that the moldings leave exposed. Fortunately, Alex (Silver_gs_R) was able to source them on his side of the border. I had a hard time finding any installation instructions for the sash tape, and the service manual makes no mention of them that I'm aware of. With a few of the pieces discontinued I was a little hesitant to just go for it. Jonathan (Danger_19) saved the day and sent me some pictures that were pretty helpful.

I'm not sure if I managed to get my hands on the last complete set of sash tape pieces, but just in case I saved all of the backing to use as templates. I also know the exact 3M vinyl that was used by Honda so it should be pretty simple to produce replicas for future restorations.

Next I installed new window run channels and all new moldings for the door panels/ windows. Tom B recently posted a great write up for the run channels in the ITR forum and the other pieces are pretty self explanatory so I won't bother going into great detail.

I cleaned the insides of the door panels, installed new door glass, reinstalled clips and plugs, rerouted the wiring harnesses, and spent way too much time with a wire brush removing overspray from the lock and latch bars. I also regreased the window regulator mechanisms while everything was easy to get to and installed new door seals. This was one area where I strayed from factory. Rather than using the Honda "goo" to secure the door seals I used cord weatherstripping. The stuff isn't messy, it's the right consistency for securing the plastic, and it's easy to remove years after it's been installed. A 90' roll is about $5 at Lowes or Home Depot.

I finished up by installing my mirrors and door panels. She's starting to look pretty damn good!

​​​​​​I thought I quoted this PIC
Old 11-01-2017, 02:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

It looks so good.
Old 11-02-2017, 06:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stin1
Do you have any other pictures installing the top piece? Do you have the writeup from the service manual?
As far as I know there is no write up in the service manual. I stressed about screwing it up for a while but decided to just go for it after talking to Jonathan. It was really easy, and the vinyl is pretty forgiving if you need to make a few adjustments. Send me a PM and I'll get you some additional pictures.
Old 11-02-2017, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Prudz_lude
The car looks amazing! Great work.
Originally Posted by Tom B
It looks so good.
Thanks guys, I appreciate it. Hoping to start working on her again soon. I've been pretty busy with work.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At the risk of repeating myself. Again. But bloody hell B this is a fantastic build.

I also haven't forgotten about this post of yours from 2 years back...
Thanks for the compliment, if I'm ever in Dublin I'll buy you a beer!
Only no B, if you're ever in Dublin I'm buying you a beer. Several. Cos you'd be in Dublin and a single beer is what local teetotallers would have.
Old 11-03-2017, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Man you brought this thing back with a vengeance. This is how you say F__k thieves.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

been a long time since ive been on this website since I sold of my itr but after going through the rest of this thread, what a great job you have done and I know exactly how it feels to build it from the bottom and sourcing all the little pieces of trim. good job bud.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My PY ITR 01-0406 was just stolen in mid-August, my life hasn't been the same since.. it hurts every day. I'm sorry yours was ever stolen, but it is heartwarming to see you bring it back to life. It looks amazing buddy, I'm excited for you.
Old 11-07-2017, 01:55 AM
Painfully Stupid

Took a break from working on the car.. I spent the last week on my boat and just got back in town. But I nstead of going back to work yesterday I started reassembling the interior. I'm surprised that I remember how to put everything back together considering how long it's been apart.

You can probably guess that I started by spending way too much time cleaning everything. I also decided it would be a good opportunity to replace all of the "gasketing" for the heater/ air conditioning/ and fan assemblies before installing the dash.

Before installing the rear side linings I made sure to install my new OEM power antenna.

I managed to get most of the interior plastics installed. I'm waiting for a good sized order of new trim/ molding to arrive before I can tackle the doors.

I installed a complete set of faux CF trim.. but I'm not too sure I'm a fan of it on a 98. There's a good chance I'll eventually remove the pieces and go back to solid black. I'm leaving them for now to see if they grow on me.

It's all about the details. I kept an eye out for a nice OEM spare for a long time and I finally got my hands on a clean example. It's just a stupid spare tire.. but I'm pretty happy with it.

While I was digging out my trunk mat I stumbled across my hoard of floor mats. Glad I bought all of this stuff while it was still cheap.

The ITR trunk mat and OEM rear strut bar combo is pretty hard to beat.

I also had just enough time to bolt up my Recaros before my wife made it home from work. She's not a fan of the Recaros.. hater.

Did you cut those yourselves or are those actual dealer parts? The rear strut panel covers..
Old 11-07-2017, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by PaulMc
Did you cut those yourselves or are those actual dealer parts? The rear strut panel covers..
Pretty sure he'd mentioned earlier in the thread that he'd cut them himself.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:23 AM
Painfully Stupid

Originally Posted by Sp00nFed EM1
Pretty sure he'd mentioned earlier in the thread that he'd cut them himself.
i figured. Must've missed it.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The covers are stock parts from japan itr cars afaik. Maybe he made those, but I doubt it. They seem hard to find. I was lucky enough to find a rear bar and covers. It's a great jdm item to install.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:32 AM
Painfully Stupid

Originally Posted by dave7
The covers are stock parts from japan itr cars afaik. Maybe he made those, but I doubt it. They seem hard to find. I was lucky enough to find a rear bar and covers. It's a great jdm item to install.
I don't think Honda ever made them stock cut out for the bar. The trunk bar new came stock with directions and a template on how to cut your stock ones out. I suppose the dealer had to cut the cover to add the bar to the car.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

^^ There are PDF dealer instructions/template floating around the internet, I can email if anyone wants it.
Old 11-07-2017, 11:08 AM
Painfully Stupid

Originally Posted by Klasse
^^ There are PDF dealer instructions/template floating around the internet, I can email if anyone wants it.
I've been looking. Haven't found anything legit. Mind PMing me what you have?
Old 11-07-2017, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think Honda ever made them stock cut out for the bar. The trunk bar new came stock with directions and a template on how to cut your stock ones out. I suppose the dealer had to cut the cover to add the bar to the car.
Cool, that's very interesting.
Old 11-07-2017, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I've been looking. Haven't found anything legit. Mind PMing me what you have?
Emailed
Old 11-09-2017, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Definitely got a little nervous when the car looked like it was just being painted out in the open, but seems the paint job came out well.

And I love seeing everything start to come together!

How did you find new weatherstripping? I've looked for it before, and locating anything in new condition seems Sisyphean.
Old 11-11-2017, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ****
At the risk of repeating myself. Again. But bloody hell B this is a fantastic build.

I also haven't forgotten about this post of yours from 2 years back...
Only no B, if you're ever in Dublin I'm buying you a beer. Several. Cos you'd be in Dublin and a single beer is what local teetotallers would have.
Thanks bro. One of these days I'll make the trip.

Originally Posted by American.Graffiti
Man you brought this thing back with a vengeance. This is how you say F__k thieves.
Still a long way to go, but thank you.

Originally Posted by ekcoupeh22
been a long time since ive been on this website since I sold of my itr but after going through the rest of this thread, what a great job you have done and I know exactly how it feels to build it from the bottom and sourcing all the little pieces of trim. good job bud.
Yeah it's definitely more work than I originally thought it would be. I've given up on finishing her any time soon, but it will be worth the extra time when she turns out the way I want.

Originally Posted by Daydreamer81
My PY ITR 01-0406 was just stolen in mid-August, my life hasn't been the same since.. it hurts every day. I'm sorry yours was ever stolen, but it is heartwarming to see you bring it back to life. It looks amazing buddy, I'm excited for you.
I feel for for you man. Worst thing ever.. I saw your post on the forum after it happened. Was the car ever recovered or is it still out there?

Steve (B18C5Power) cut them for me. Honda didn't produce covers pre cut from the factory.

Originally Posted by dave7
Any covers out there were cut using a template provided by Honda with the rear strut bar. I'm pretty sure I have pictures of the templates buried on this thread somewhere.

Truth. What he said.^^

Originally Posted by ctag
Definitely got a little nervous when the car looked like it was just being painted out in the open, but seems the paint job came out well.

And I love seeing everything start to come together!

How did you find new weatherstripping? I've looked for it before, and locating anything in new condition seems Sisyphean.
The car was painted in a down draft paint booth. I never managed to get any shots while it was in there. All of my parts were ordered new from Honda. A lot of the trim/moldings are being discontinued, so if you're looking to replace anything in the near future I would suggest ordering it now.
Old 11-11-2017, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A lot of the trim/moldings are being discontinued, so if you're looking to replace anything in the near future I would suggest ordering it now.
Old 11-11-2017, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I saw Honda is making new parts for old Beat model, who knows, maybe they make new parts for others cars. At least I hope so.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

As far as I know there is no write up in the service manual. I stressed about screwing it up for a while but decided to just go for it after talking to Jonathan. It was really easy, and the vinyl is pretty forgiving if you need to make a few adjustments. Send me a PM and I'll get you some additional pictures.
I sent you a few pms. I haven't heard back from you. Did you receive them?
Old 11-16-2017, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

@Built2Grind,

Thanks for the kind words about my loss. unfortunately my R is still out there. If I ever get her back I wanna give her the same treatment you're currently giving yours and fix her up good as new, despite my having zero knowledge on how to.. might see me blowing up your message inbox for help. Any chance you'd do a video for the first time you start the engine on this? I feel like it could be pretty epic.

Quick Reply: 98-0914 Resurrection