Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

98-0914 Resurrection

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 98-0914 Resurrection

My car has the same thing. I don't think you need to chop up a shock tower, it's just a clinch stud. I haven't investigated but I imagine a body repair shop could install a new one.
Old 03-31-2016, 05:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 1223
My car has the same thing. I don't think you need to chop up a shock tower, it's just a clinch stud. I haven't investigated but I imagine a body repair shop could install a new one.
It would great if just the studs could be replaced. I'm worried that a similar sized clinched stud may not seat properly in a hole that has already been flared out by another clinched stud. Assuming I could get them out without damaging the plates or holes, my concern would be that the stud would not completely seat in the hole itself and may spin freely. Maybe I'm worrying about nothing. Has anyone out there actually replaced one of these studs? And by replace I don't mean with a bolt. I might be screwed either way depending on what was done by the previous owner to remove the original equipment and install the bolt that is pictured.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That undercarriage looks great! Give me hope for mine when I can finally attack it.

I dont have much advice on the strut bar stud. Id probably just rock one on each side
Old 03-31-2016, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm with 1223. It seems like a skilled welder should be able to install a new stud with little trouble.

Looks like you're making great progress otherwise. The undercarriage looks great after cleaning!
Old 03-31-2016, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RTW DC2R
That undercarriage looks great! Give me hope for mine when I can finally attack it.

I dont have much advice on the strut bar stud. Id probably just rock one on each side
Thanks! I posted an ad looking for the brackets on NWP4LIFE on Facebook. Rocking one nut on each side would be better than any of the suggestions I got from those guys. Some dude tried to sell me SPIKES to mount my strut bar.. Wtf?

Originally Posted by jkrout
I'm with 1223. It seems like a skilled welder should be able to install a new stud with little trouble.

Looks like you're making great progress otherwise. The undercarriage looks great after cleaning!
Thanks man. I'm going to try and fix the stud issue while the shell is bare and in my garage. Depending on how the fix goes and what is involved, I may be painting the undercarriage after all..
Old 03-31-2016, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

She's nekkid.. After staring at those damn strut bar studs for a half hour, I decided to tear down the front half of my car. I think I made pretty good progress considering I only had a couple hours. Removing a hood by yourself is lots of fun if anyone is wondering. I also forgot how much of a mess the damn thieves left in the engine bay. Cut hoses, AC lines, cut wires, wires tied in knots, rope to hold parts off the ground while they towed it to the spot they dumped it, etc.

********. It felt good to finally clean up the mess they left for me.

Although I couldn't clean up everything they left behind, at least not yet.

********. Brilliant idea- try to scratch out the VIN number with a screw driver.. Because that will keep you out of trouble if you get caught with a stolen car. No matter how long it has been, thinking about some of this **** really pisses me off.

Oh yeah, I also knocked out that stupid bolt that the last owner used to replace the strut bar stud with.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here are a few additional shots of the undercarriage. The rest of it is as clean as the wheel wells. I snapped a few pictures while I was looking at the routing of the hard brake lines I'll be replacing. Another gift from the thieves, cut hard brake lines at all (4) wheel wells. B@stards.

Old 04-01-2016, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That is crazy clean!
Old 04-01-2016, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Those before pictures of the engine bay look forlorn

Car's looking clean though! Always glad to see progress on this one.
Old 04-03-2016, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RTW DC2R
That is crazy clean!
Yeh I'm pretty happy with the results. I'd be willing to do infomercials for Mötsenböcker's.. LOL.

Originally Posted by ctag
Those before pictures of the engine bay look forlorn

Car's looking clean though! Always glad to see progress on this one.
Thanks man. Felt good to pull that mangled mess out my engine bay. I'm getting pretty close to having all traces of the thieves' handy work wiped away completely. It will be a huge milestone to have the shell repainted and start putting it all back together.
Old 04-03-2016, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Out of interest how Disney u lift the car onto that rack you built?
Old 04-03-2016, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by purplepassiongsr
Out of interest how Disney u lift the car onto that rack you built?
I detailed the process a page or two back with pictures, but I used reel jacks (basically very large jack stands for lifting large spools of electrical wire) and large axles (thick steel pipes) to progressively lift the car several inches at a time. I then supported the car with regular jack stands and wood blocks. Then I reset the reel jack's initial height and repeated until I had the car 3' in the air. I slid the cart underneath and lowered the chassis onto the cart. Pretty simple really.
Old 04-05-2016, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The underside looks fantastically clean. Never realized all that black gunk was just dirt xD glad to see your progress.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dwllama
The underside looks fantastically clean. Never realized all that black gunk was just dirt xD glad to see your progress.
I was in the same boat. When pressure washing didn't make much of a dent I was CONVINCED that someone had painted the wheel wells with some sort of rubberized undercoating or paint. Nope. Just a bunch of nasty grime.
Old 04-09-2016, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome stripped to the frame all out no expense restoration/build; thanks for sharing.
Old 04-10-2016, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dc24me
Awesome stripped to the frame all out no expense restoration/build; thanks for sharing.
Thanks man! I'm hoping to make a lot of progress soon.. I see paint coming in the immediate future. My 09 Civic SI was recently wrecked by a guy that backed into me, and if the car is totaled I will most likely dump the pay off into the R. Right now I'm waiting to hear back from the guy's insurance. I pick up a work truck next week so I'm thinking I will put the cash into my toy instead of another commuter, but who knows.. Maybe I'll buy another R for a daily driver.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Cant wait to see paint
Old 05-11-2016, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn.. It's been a month already?
Here's where I'm at: as I suspected my Civic was totaled and I decided that I'm going to finish the R instead of repairing it. I drive a company truck to work anyway so there is no immediate need to replace it. It's crazy that a lot of R owners get screwed by insurance companies regarding settlements, because here I am with a run of the mill 09 civic SI making out like a bandit. This is the second time my Civic has been totaled, and I've been paid a total of 35K for it! Wtf?! Plus the Civic is still driveable and I bought it back for next to nothing.

Just a little cosmetic damage, I'll fix it someday. Until then I'm letting my Dad borrow it.

Alright, back to the Type R. Those stupid strut bar stud brackets have been holding up the show. I want to replace them the correct way before painting the car, and they're not the easiest part to find. I cut a set from a wrecked GSR at a junkyard only to realize that the studs are slightly different than a Type R's. The studs are threaded the entire length of the stud on an ITR, but a GSR's stud threads stop about 3/8" short of the end of the stud. Not going to cut it.

A few weeks ago I found a local guy that bought a JDM front clip to use for a RHD conversion, and he said he would sell me his strut bar brackets. He wasn't able to meet up that weekend so I figured I would catch him on my next day off. Well, I've tried to arrange a pickup every day off I've had since then and it just hasn't worked out. Today I finally got fed up enough to give up, so I contacted Steve at HMotorsonline. What do you know? Steve is going to hook me up and I should have the brackets in hand next week. I wish I had called him in the first place. I had a few minutes to spare when I got off the phone, so I decided to remove the old brackets.

I bought a cheap *** spot weld cutter from Harbor Freight for $4.99. It's basically a carbide hole saw with a spring loaded center pin instead of a pilot bit. The benefit of using the cutter instead of a drill bit to remove the spot welds is that the panel is left intact when the brackets are removed (no holes.) There were (6) spot welds holding each of the brackets to the wheel housings, and it was just a matter of drilling them out.

Now I'm just waiting for the replacement brackets to show up.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Shucks about the Civic.

Glad to see things moving along with the R :D
Old 05-27-2016, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hell of a read and story! Well done on your dedication and ingenuity to get bring this ITR back to it's former glory.

My ITR had a broken strut tower stud on each side as well. It now has a bolt and nut in place on each side. I wondered about cutting out the GSR bracket but sounds like getting one from a JDM front clip is the the best bet.

Good luck!
Old 08-25-2016, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn man, awesome job and so much work. Makes me want to keep my PY and redo all the little things I would like to do to make it perfect.
Old 09-10-2016, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome thread!!! props to you and and the people that have helped out in the resurraction of the R. Waiting for the finished product, keep up the great work dude!!!
Old 09-10-2016, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just read through this thread and you mentioned the rhd conversion you needed the strut bar bolts from.

Did you ever end up getting these because I am the person who had the clip. I'm in the Everett area if you would like to get them. No charge.
Old 11-11-2016, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Built2grind
She's nekkid.. After staring at those damn strut bar studs for a half hour, I decided to tear down the front half of my car. I think I made pretty good progress considering I only had a couple hours. Removing a hood by yourself is lots of fun if anyone is wondering. I also forgot how much of a mess the damn thieves left in the engine bay. Cut hoses, AC lines, cut wires, wires tied in knots, rope to hold parts off the ground while they towed it to the spot they dumped it, etc.

********. It felt good to finally clean up the mess they left for me.

Although I couldn't clean up everything they left behind, at least not yet.

********. Brilliant idea- try to scratch out the VIN number with a screw driver.. Because that will keep you out of trouble if you get caught with a stolen car. No matter how long it has been, thinking about some of this **** really pisses me off.

Oh yeah, I also knocked out that stupid bolt that the last owner used to replace the strut bar stud with.
Dude car looks sick man, how long did it take you to take the front apart.
Old 11-12-2016, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

😐Well so much for finishing my car this summer.. I haven't done a damn thing since my last post in May.

All of my free time (and then some) has been devoted to relocating my wife's hair salon and renovating a new space. She found out earlier this year that she would have to relocate, and we finally completed construction and opened for business at the new location on October 31.

Long story short- it's my turn. Time to get back to work on the R...

Quick Reply: 98-0914 Resurrection