Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

'96 Spec JDM

Old 06-10-2019, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: '96 Spec JDM

I have been following this thread for quite some time. Awesome work sir! I can't recall you replacing the steering rack, or having it resealed. I have had to do that on every car I owned with a 92-00 civic/ integra. That is 6 cars with the same failure point. How is the rack holding up? Any drips?
Old 06-10-2019, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I absolutely love the way you love and care for this car! It makes me sad to think that we cut up almost every type r that we import at work
Old 06-10-2019, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tom B View Post
Is your car JDM or USDM? Looks easier to do on a USDM. I ended up only changing the main bush in the picture. The four on the other side - I couldn't push the sleeve out the middle of the bushings. I think you'd have to remove the rack entirely to do it properly without yanking the rack around too much - you could damage the lines fairly easily and given the condition of the smaller bushes on that side, and the fact the sleeve was so tight to push out, I'd say they were in good shape. No dry rot or cracking. You could potentially do more harm than good. The larger one on the other side that I replaced had an indentation from where it's been sitting against the rack, glad I got that side changed at least.
Good points. My ITR is cdm/usdm. I'm actually thinking about replacing steering bushings on my gs-r though (usdm). Was hoping you'd say this was super easy, just unbolt and swap out bushings.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by stin1 View Post
I have been following this thread for quite some time. Awesome work sir! I can't recall you replacing the steering rack, or having it resealed. I have had to do that on every car I owned with a 92-00 civic/ integra. That is 6 cars with the same failure point. How is the rack holding up? Any drips?
No leaks. I did have a small leak from the pump so I replaced the seals on that with new OEM. Not heard of Honda racks leaking, only aftermarket/remans.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GreatWave View Post
I absolutely love the way you love and care for this car! It makes me sad to think that we cut up almost every type r that we import at work
Thanks. Why do you cut them up? Front end conversion?
Old 06-12-2019, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dave7 View Post
Good points. My ITR is cdm/usdm. I'm actually thinking about replacing steering bushings on my gs-r though (usdm). Was hoping you'd say this was super easy, just unbolt and swap out bushings.
It looks easier on left hand drive vs right hand drive. I found the gearbox is in the way making it almost impossible to fit a stout enough tool on the sleeves to push them out.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If I were baller, I'd probably buy new everything that Honda have left. I guess I am kinda doing that, slowly.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks. Why do you cut them up? Front end conversion?
We're in the US, so in order to comply with our 25 year import law, we either import it complete minus the engine and sell it as off-road/track use only, or we cut it up and bring over every last part. We make more money faster when we bring them over cut up. Here are two of our current victims. 96 spec ITR on the right, 99 spec CTR on the left

Name:  1560364213219.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  1.10 MB
Old 06-12-2019, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It looks easier on left hand drive vs right hand drive. I found the gearbox is in the way making it almost impossible to fit a stout enough tool on the sleeves to push them out.
I'll see what I can do and let you know how it goes.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GreatWave View Post
We're in the US, so in order to comply with our 25 year import law, we either import it complete minus the engine and sell it as off-road/track use only, or we cut it up and bring over every last part. We make more money faster when we bring them over cut up. Here are two of our current victims. 96 spec ITR on the right, 99 spec CTR on the left

Attachment 511048
Man it's awful that exporters/importers destroy these cars.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Chrisfrom1986 View Post
And sometimes the parts they sell off them are in poor shape. Ask me how I know.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Chrisfrom1986 View Post
I think they’re destroying the ones in a high level of disarray. Rust, high miles and what not. Otherwise, there’s a market for selling the pristine ones. I know, because I have a complete car on order. Finally cleared for export the week before last.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by All-MotorSports View Post
I think they’re destroying the ones in a high level of disarray. Rust, high miles and what not.
This. I saw one such front cut example before the grinder got to it and the rear quarters were gone, rusted right through in the usual places. And that's what could be seen from the outside. I've seen R's with areas of bubbling not much larger than a dollar coin size that were horrors when the owner started to cut back to get to solid metal. Without pattern panels available it costs a pretty penny to pay a fabricator to create and weld up the new sections required, so selling off the front end makes good sense.

As usual Tom your R looks incredible and more incredible with each post. A credit to your efforts.
Old 06-13-2019, 02:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Next year the early cars will be import legal and I suspect prices will start to go up.
Old 06-13-2019, 03:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by All-MotorSports View Post
I think they’re destroying the ones in a high level of disarray. Rust, high miles and what not. Otherwise, there’s a market for selling the pristine ones. I know, because I have a complete car on order. Finally cleared for export the week before last.
No, we definitely cut up clean, low miles, nearly rust free cars as well.

Edit: we've also had complete cars come through with way more rust than the auction caught, so there's that.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:21 AM
too old for school

What a shame... but also, such practice of cutting up these cars will probably drive up the prices of the few that remain (increase rarity). Glad I've already got my hands on a ITR. Now would like to buy a JDM CTR (when it's import legal in the US).