Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

'96 Spec JDM

Old 10-20-2015, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default re: '96 Spec JDM

Originally Posted by joey1320
Great work!

Glad to see someone paying attention to the important aspects of maintenance and rust protection.
I thought it was just me being an old fart that was this **** about the car leprosy that is rust, but great to see others being more than enthusiastic about keeping these cars on the road.

On my SI, I've primed/painted/undercoated all inner fenders, inner trunk sides and now working on the interior parts of the car. I've started with the drivers' door - removed the panel, cleaned off dirt, sprayed 3M Moly-Lube and will do a second coat soon. Then onto the rest...
Wow J, you've really done the works. Fair play. My first Teg was a JDM SI*, back in 1997, which also means I've been exclusively driving Teggies for 18 years. That's a scary thought. I can drive one in my sleep now TBH. I often scare friends when I go through gaps in traffic…

It never ends but at least you know you are preserving a real beauty!
again Looking at T's pics again his car is in amazing condition. It's easy to forget it's a near twenty year old car. These cars can really wear the years well in the right hands and it's found another pair of the right hands now.

*I know this may be blasphemy for some, but IMHO yes there is a difference between the R and the SI, but it's not that big a difference in daily driving unless you're really pushing it and I've even driven a couple of nicely sorted and upgraded SI's that were better than a standard R. *awaits flames and righteous ban…*
Old 10-21-2015, 03:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joey1320
Great work!

Glad to see someone paying attention to the important aspects of maintenance and rust protection.

On my SI, I've primed/painted/undercoated all inner fenders, inner trunk sides and now working on the interior parts of the car. I've started with the drivers' door - removed the panel, cleaned off dirt, sprayed 3M Moly-Lube and will do a second coat soon. Then onto the rest...

It never ends but at least you know you are preserving a real beauty!
Thanks, man!
Old 10-21-2015, 03:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B16EJ
Looks great! Any plans with the muffler?
I have an OE muffler in my loft, I need to get the flange re-welded and the previous owner has had an extension welded in. I guess they were bolting it to an aftermarket/custom mid pipe and was a different length to the OE pipe.

Having said that, the Tanabe is of very high quality. On the other hand it's kinda loud and not the best looking exhaust, not ugly by any means though.

Old 10-21-2015, 03:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ****
Nah, it's pretty much the same as I got it back in 06 T. Just do maintenance and keep an eye out for any corrosion, but so far so good(touch wood). Daily driver in all that time too and I use it for work. Yep. It's a surprisingly roomy "van" when the need arises.

This is an old pic(and my avatar);

Handily shows the best of the local weather. Sure you know that one yourself. Since then I slapped on some clear side repeaters and I sourced some grey OEM wheels, to replace the ones that were nicked on the boat from Japan(I ended up with the previous owners Civic Type R ones wearing snow tyres) Though I went for UKDM ones as 1) I'm a cheap so and so and the tyres are cheaper and 2) on some Irish roads a moon buggy would be a better bet so the bigger JDM ones would be more prone to damage.

EDIT here's a more recent pic from last week of the oily bits.

All standard really and not looking too bad for 160,000 Kms on the clock. Doesn't use a drop of oil either. They're a scarily reliable oul beast. The only non service parts I've done has been a distributor rebuild which cost less than 80 quid.

You have it well covered. Other areas I'd fire wax into are into the bonnet leading edge and the bottom of the boot lid. If she has a tendency to leak from the rear lights as they often do any moisture ends up in the spare wheel well and then by condensation on the glass into the boot lid. That's what I found anyway when one year I ended up with the makings of a carp pond in my boot. You can sort the leaks with new rear light gaskets from Honda, or better yet get some of the aftermarket ones made from much thicker neoprene as the originals are as thin as a catwalk model. Here's a link to a lad selling them. I dunno what quality they are and no doubt there's someone closer. Californian owners are reading all this as if it's in a foreign language.

Mine sits outdoors in the Irish weather so it pays for me to be paranoid. On that score T make sure you have security sorted as these cars need good security layers like a fish needs water.
That is very clean. Especially given it's your daily and the mileage. Nice work! Rare colour too ;-). Thanks for the tips, mate. Post a picture with the new wheels!

P.S. No leaks here so far.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So jealous of the honda parts we don't get in the US
Old 10-21-2015, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nice work man, thanks for sharing this.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:07 PM
Trial User

Hey just wanted to stop in and tell you that your project looks great! I am also a European Type-R owner.
Old 10-28-2015, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 94rs-turbo
So jealous of the honda parts we don't get in the US
Which parts!?
Old 10-28-2015, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 3uroR
Hey just wanted to stop in and tell you that your project looks great! I am also a European Type-R owner.
Thanks, man! Just had a look at your car, what a beaut!
Old 10-28-2015, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Picked up an OE double-din blank.

Last edited by Tom B; 05-19-2016 at 01:21 AM.
Old 10-28-2015, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OEM brake cleaner!

Last edited by Tom B; 05-19-2016 at 01:23 AM.
Old 11-05-2015, 01:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I thought I'd share some more pictures of the undersealing/waxoyling that I've done. I was very pleased to see such clean sills when I removed the skirts. Some minor bits of surafce rust here and there but that's all been ground back to metal, treated and then undersealed/waxoyled. Same goes for the rear underside and arches.

Really clean behind the bumper too!

Last edited by Tom B; 07-23-2016 at 10:12 AM.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice!!!!
Old 11-06-2015, 12:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JTECHDC2
Nice!!!!
Thanks, man.

Trying to get the big important stuff done first. I've now done a full service and made a good start on the undersealing/waxoyling.

No major plans for the car but I would like to get an OE rear upper strut brace and replace all the disks and pads with OE Honda, replace the RTA bushes and get my OE muffler on.
Old 11-06-2015, 01:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That's a scarily clean 96 spec. Fantastic find.
Old 11-20-2015, 01:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Refurbished the battery stay. Also cleaned up the hooks/bolts and fitted new stainless flange nuts.

Last edited by Tom B; 05-06-2016 at 11:40 AM.
Old 11-20-2015, 01:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Front bumper off and inspecting the body for corrosion. Only some light surface rust found. Ground it down with a wire brush attached to a drill. I then used some Hammerite anti rust stuff. Let that dry out overnight and the next day began applying Underseal with added Waxoyl. Also applied it to the bumper bracket as I had no black Hammerite - it seemed silly to take the bumper off again just to paint the bumper bracket with Hammerite instead of using what I had available.

Part of me thinks that I should have sprayed it in the original Championship White finish. I guess I could go back in there at a later date and spray it. Opinions?

Last edited by Tom B; 02-26-2017 at 12:37 PM.
Old 11-20-2015, 03:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

In my opinion I think you should of redid it in champ white. It gives it the cleaner look
Old 11-20-2015, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

With all the work you are doing on this sweet ride, please fix the mismatched tires with the grippy ones in front before you oversteer and crash this thing. At least put the grippy ones in back until you can match a set. Otherwise very nice car and work you are putting in.
Old 11-20-2015, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Great work! Love how the car looks.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by willywonka514
In my opinion I think you should of redid it in champ white. It gives it the cleaner look
Thanks. That might work in the States but over here it would get all mucky and look not so clean. I think the black is more discreet. You're not going to see that it's underseal unless you get up close. I'll take a picture tomorrow once it's all dry.
Old 11-22-2015, 11:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Great build so far. Perfect car imo. I would just change the muffler but it looks like you're already planning on it. Keep it up!
Old 11-23-2015, 04:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Keilani
Great build so far. Perfect car imo. I would just change the muffler but it looks like you're already planning on it. Keep it up!
Thanks, man.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SSBP-GSR
With all the work you are doing on this sweet ride, please fix the mismatched tires with the grippy ones in front before you oversteer and crash this thing. At least put the grippy ones in back until you can match a set. Otherwise very nice car and work you are putting in.
She can be a little tail happy - lift off oversteer.

I plan to replace the rears with the same as the front - Bridgestone Potenza RE002 195 55 15.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by willywonka514
Who cares? its function over form, not to mention no one is gonna see these parts unless the car is taken apart anyways. OP great work so far!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '96 Spec JDM