Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

00-1223

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 00-1223

Originally Posted by ****
Gorgeous R Magnus. A real beauty and all the better for the changes you've already made. I too agree with the rest as far as the brakes go. Sure they look cool, but stock is more than enough(or you could go for the Spoon upgrade which are very nice). Gives you more wheel choices too and the car will be far more comfortable a drive without the elastic band tyres you have now. Well… as comfortable as an R gets.

Way back in the day when those cars were new, the very first left hand drive car I ever drove was one of them. Fantastic car. IIRC she had very similar Recaro seats to the Integras(EDM/JDM)? My own car at the time was a Ford Capri and it had Recaros too so that's why I noted it.

Actually and just my humble, but the only other "upgrade" I'd do to your R is source a set of JDM/EDM Recaros, maybe throw in the JDM Momo steering wheel(they come in airbag and non airbag versions) and titanium gear ****. The North American market really got shortchanged on the interior bits and bobs(to bring the original price point down I presume?).

PS great photos of the trip.
Good memory on the Recaro seats, some of the M3 Evo variants (never came to the US) got Recaro SRDs with the Motorsport cloth. This cloth has been NLA for ages and a single roll will sell for something like $2k these days... such is the M3 tax.

I'm not sure if they're the exact same as the ITR Recaros but it is very close. I am going to buy the red seats when the time is right, but mechanical bits go first!

On that note, last night I put the fuel system back to stock. AEM fuel rail, FPR, and filter removed and all the stock stuff back in. Even if I prefer not to keep it, I appreciate that the AEM stuff was well-designed and the PO had kept the instructions for reference. The swap went as smooth as could be.

I'm still trying to sort out SMOG legality. Here's my situation: the car has a 2.5" CarSound cat, which should be CARB legal, but it requires that I find a 2.5" collector on a CARB-approved header. I haven't been able to get a straight answer but I suspect that changing the collector size is what disqualifies a header from being CARB friendly. That leaves me with the option of a JDM ITR header, which should look stock and probably work fine. Can anyone provide some guidance?

After I get it registered, brake swap time. One last question: what color / finish are the stock calipers?

Thanks to all.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Welcome to the club and glad to see another bay area R!
Old 10-27-2015, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by magnus89

I'm still trying to sort out SMOG legality. Here's my situation: the car has a 2.5" CarSound cat, which should be CARB legal, but it requires that I find a 2.5" collector on a CARB-approved header. I haven't been able to get a straight answer but I suspect that changing the collector size is what disqualifies a header from being CARB friendly. That leaves me with the option of a JDM ITR header, which should look stock and probably work fine. Can anyone provide some guidance?

Thanks to all.
The JDM header is 2.5 inch as well, not sure if you knew that. If you get the covers for it, visually it can look stock-ish, from the topside anyway. I dunno anything about the CARB requirements though. Do you have to CARB annually or a one time thing? Im sure someone has a stock ITR manifold setup laying around.
Old 10-27-2015, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good memory on the Recaro seats,
Not so sure it's that good M, it means my **** has a better memory than my head. Which in fairness would be about right…
some of the M3 Evo variants (never came to the US) got Recaro SRDs with the Motorsport cloth.
Yes, this one was owned by an Irish chap who had business dealings in Germany and he bought it there and drove it home. It was quite a pale metallic blue. A gorgeous car and I remember it being very easy to drive too. The flared arches made it feel like one of those mad Group B rally cars of the 1980's. Kinda like a classier slightly more reserved German take on the Lancia Delta Integrale. Though unlike the Lancia extremely well bolted together and not a collection of parts waiting to kill each other.

TL;DR? Great to see that Beemer M and in the hands of a clear aficionado like yourself. You have a jealous Dubliner across the pond. And you have a Teggy R like that? Yep an Irishman actually turning green over here.

I'm not sure if they're the exact same as the ITR Recaros but it is very close. I am going to buy the red seats when the time is right, but mechanical bits go first!
Dead right Sir. The rest are just minor trimmings.

One last question: what color / finish are the stock calipers?
FWIW mine are(were before brake dust and my lazy ****) a very pale golden colour. Like this;

Now the chap I stole that pic from says they were gold for the Australian market and he is a major guru of knowledge on the R(and a site well worth bookmarking and registering your R on) but my JDM had similar. Maybe the American models were different?
Old 10-27-2015, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Source a JDM OEM 98-01 Integra type R header with the heat shield. It will bolt up to the car sound cat, being that the oem jdm 98 & up 4-1 header is the same length as the toda header and also has a 2.5" collector.

I would personally call up Steve at hmotorsonline if you go that route.

Only other option would be to get a dc sports jdm 4-1 header (replica of above) and get a dc sports carb legal sticker made(or PM me as i have some for sale Also, the dc sports 2.5" collector 4-1 header is NOT carb legal.

Anyhow, beautiful M & R !! Well worth the trip I bet. I remember when I purchased my R from Santa cruz, drive up from Malibu and back the same day. Nothing like a long trip in the R the first day you buy it to get to know it better !
Old 10-27-2015, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

looks ever more fabulous as you trash the rice.
i'd be paranoid as hell driving it, especially in the gay area.
(i spent most of my life there so it's ok for me to say that )
even in the bfe ozarks boonies my beat gs-r gets way too much unwanted attention.
hurray for black! 8)
Old 10-27-2015, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OP, spacers on the front were likely to clear the brembo calipers. i've had to do the same in the past on some cars i equipped with a bbk.

continue de-ricing, wheels should be next. congrats
Old 10-28-2015, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by thadon805
Source a JDM OEM 98-01 Integra type R header with the heat shield. It will bolt up to the car sound cat, being that the oem jdm 98 & up 4-1 header is the same length as the toda header and also has a 2.5" collector.

I would personally call up Steve at hmotorsonline if you go that route.

Only other option would be to get a dc sports jdm 4-1 header (replica of above) and get a dc sports carb legal sticker made(or PM me as i have some for sale Also, the dc sports 2.5" collector 4-1 header is NOT carb legal.

Anyhow, beautiful M & R !! Well worth the trip I bet. I remember when I purchased my R from Santa cruz, drive up from Malibu and back the same day. Nothing like a long trip in the R the first day you buy it to get to know it better !
Great info, that's just what I was looking for. I've found a '98 spec header nearby and hopefully I'll pick it up this weekend. No heatshield provided... I will test without and hopefully pass without having to shell out $125 for the shield on eBay.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Great info, that's just what I was looking for. I've found a '98 spec header nearby and hopefully I'll pick it up this weekend. No heatshield provided... I will test without and hopefully pass without having to shell out $125 for the shield on eBay.
Most local shops just care it's an OEM header not an aftermarket one. You should be fine.
Old 10-30-2015, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Been driving the car to work the last couple days, and have received some compliments. Spending a lot of time looking at parts, as one tends to do... I know people love to talk mods so let's talk mods.

1. Brakes. Big Brembos are going away soon; I ordered speed bleeders and will go back to the stock brakes when they arrive. Any recommendations for good street rotors and pads? Any special ITR things to be aware of?

2. Wheels. Once the brakes go, I can put some reasonable wheels on. I am looking at JDM 16s and Euro Accord 16s. Interested to hear opinions and/or comments on fitment.

3. Suspension. H&R is quality stuff, but the setup is too jittery for the street and makes my girlfriend sick. Will be going back to stock. Fender gap, here I come!

4. Interior. The car's great and all-stock right now, but I have my eye on some red Recaros. There seems to be quite a few vendors selling them in various states of dirtiness, and I am wary of buying seats that came out of a wrecked car and aren't straight. Is there a reputable source for these, and how much should I expect to pay for a set in very good condition?

5. Transmission. I need to uninstall the B&M short shifter and go back to stock. Any bushings or wear items I should address while I'm working on the linkage?

6. Motor. Wiring scares me, but I will be removing the AFC2 since it doesn't really do anything at the moment except change colors when I hit VTAK yo. Will be removing the AEM intake because it's a bit too 'tuner' look to me, and the whistle is irritating. Will be going with an icebox or something closer to stock.

7. Exterior. My front badge has internal flaws and looks nasty. Is a new emblem really $65? Mud flaps - looks like the 98-01 fitment sets aren't available anywhere. If someone has a set to sell, or a lead, I would appreciate it.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

1) Hawk HPS pads are common and fine for street driving. Rotors are a wearable item so most just get Autozone, Powerslot, etc. Whatever is cheapest. A high quality rotor doesn't really help at all as it's all in the pad. Most prefer blanks but you can opt for slotted. Some have said slotted rotors helps "skim" the pad for more even wear.

2) JDM ITR 16's for sure. The Euro R ones are only 6" wide IIRC while the JDM ITR are 7" wide. Note that Spoon calipers do not fit under the JDM ITR 16's without the use of a 5mm spacer. those same calipers DO fit under the USDM ITR 15's though. Just something to note.

3) You could opt for Koni yellow shocks mated to OEM ITR springs. Allows for dampening control and a slight drop(like 10mm) but still very daily-able.

4) H Motors Online is good for JDM ITR seats. I'm sure others will chime in with their sources. They are fairly common and expect to pay $850 - $1,000 for a nice set with rails.

5) Shifter bushings are a nice upgrade. Hardrace, Mugen, PasswordJDM, plus many others make these. JHPUSA.com is a good site to look at stuff.

6) Yes, remove the VAFC2 for sure. I run the Icebox with no complaints. Definitely a nice stock looking piece that performs.

7) Yeah, they are that expensive. Contact this fine fellow for any OEM parts: Honda-Tech - View Profile: 94rs-turbo
Old 11-01-2015, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks white rocket, I appreciate the info. I've reached out to H Motors about Recaros, JDM 16s, and a couple of other items.

I got a lot done this weekend. I sourced a JDM 2.5" header through Craigslist and installed it yesterday afternoon. The swap went better than expected... zero issues. Underside of the car looks great.

Happy to report that I passed SMOG without issue this morning. On Friday I have an appointment at the DMV to get registered and start driving. I've already ordered a vanity black plate, which I hope will look good on a black car.

That's the engine bay with the JDM header.

As soon as I got back from my SMOG test, I put the Toda back on. Fantastic weld quality on the piece.

Cleaned the interior. I'll probably install my long shift kit (swap B&M for stock) this week.

Received Hawk HPS pads, ATE Typ 200, and Energy Suspension bushings for the shift linkage.

Stock calipers look good, cleaned them a bit and lubricated the slider pins. Ordered some blank discs from Autozone and, once the Speed Bleeders arrive, I'll be ready to do my brakes and get back on the stock wheels.
Old 11-01-2015, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Congrats! She looks great... Previous owner had a strange parts mix of rice and quality.
Old 11-01-2015, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by slooogsr
Congrats! She looks great... Previous owner had a strange parts mix of rice and quality.
Thank you! And I agree... an interesting mix of parts for sure.

I received two big folders with the car, the first with all the receipts, window sticker, service history, etc; the second a mix of pages pulled out of circa-2002 Super Street and Sport Compact Car. You remember the full-page ads with 10000 parts crammed in and the NOPI chicks with really big fake *****? It was a trip down memory lane looking through it.

In addition to the ads, he had a nicely-organized spreadsheet with the part he wanted to buy, the website to buy it (half of which are gone now), the cost, the exact part numbers, etc. I was able to see his overall vision of the car, which included a bunch of body mods and a supercharger kit. I am happy that he didn't get around to buying all those parts.
Old 11-02-2015, 01:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The interior looks very nice. I see you have the titanium gear ****. Sweet. And I'll say one thing for the North American market seats, they wear the years far better than the EDM/JDM Recaros. Unless you get lucky with a near NOS set that have rarely seen an **** the Recaros are going to look more worn. Maybe stick with the stock seats? Keeps it looking well and true to it's origins and will save a few quid for other upgrades.

I have to say one thing I missed when I went from a JDM SiR to the JDM R was the centre console. It was a handy little cubby for bits and bobs. IIRC it was a very tight squeeze to fit one with the Recaros though, so I didn't bother getting one in the end.

The steering wheel looks so out of place though*. IMHO of course. The early UKDM got a similar wheel only with the H in the centre. The later UK/EDM Momo(airbag) is a nice upgrade and keeps the safety aspect intact.

Pity it can't be had with the A for Acura.

Those callipers really scrubbed up well. The USDM also got a much nicer boot/trunk carpet. The JDM and European one is very cheap and nasty.

Yer man definitely had an interesting mix of parts alright, but as you say it's good he stopped when he did. Nice he kept all the records for you. I like to see that. He clearly loved the car.

*Worst of all though was the last series NSX Type R for the EDM/UKDM market. Because of the EU airbag requirements it lost the very nice non airbag Momo and got the same kinda wheel as yours. It was like putting a baseball cap on the Mona Lisa.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow congrats and awesome pickup. Lucky you got to pick up such a good deal, I'm from Seattle and would've bought this in a heartbeat if only I had known it was available
Why get rid of the brembos?
Old 11-02-2015, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MUGEN-ITR
Wow congrats and awesome pickup. Lucky you got to pick up such a good deal, I'm from Seattle and would've bought this in a heartbeat if only I had known it was available
Why get rid of the brembos?
The Brembos are cool, but they're overkill for a street car, especially one as light as the Integra. The main motivation to remove is that they force me to use 17" wheels. I would prefer to go back to 15s/16s for reasons of aesthetics and ride quality.

Last edited by 1223; 11-02-2015 at 07:33 AM.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I was a bit confused reading responses from you as you initially posted under a different handle (magnus).

Just to give you an idea of the the JDM 16's My 2nd DC2R Honda Integra Type R
Old 11-02-2015, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Seedc2
I was a bit confused reading responses from you as you initially posted under a different handle (magnus).

Just to give you an idea of the the JDM 16's My 2nd DC2R Honda Integra Type R
Yeah, I changed my username to match the car. Your car looks absolutely fantastic, is that stock ride height?
Old 11-02-2015, 01:34 PM
I said I don't want a title!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, that car did indeed scream 2002-era bolt-ons. Shame he cut the rear plastic to install the rear upper strut bar.

Otherwise looks ok and easy enough to put back to stock. And you should recoup some cash selling off the parts you don't want.
Old 11-02-2015, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Great progress so far. Loving it!! I may have opted to ceramic coat that Toda header while it was off to keep the under hood temps down and make it look nice and new. Just a nit picky thing.
The Toda header you have as actually a Version2 with the diamond plates. The V1 had springs there to keep the slip from coming apart. A superior piece for sure!

That rear ITR trunk mat is worth heavy $$$ so very cool that it was included. Floor mats are another big dollar item if you have those.

I love love love how the previous owner cut the rear panels to accommodate the rear Mugen bar. Nice touch with the rubber trim around the cuts.

Keep these awesome updates coming!!
Old 11-03-2015, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You are missing a fastener on that rear interior panel

Nice work so far, I wish I could make some progress like this on my car lol. Slow going for me.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Howcome we park on driveways, and drive on parkways?

Looks great so far!! Keep it up!

My JDM ITR Recaros fit with the center console with no problem...

here is pic of them in Miss Y56...

Name:  6wfmruE.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  81.0 KB

You may still get a little bit of whistle from the CT box... I did on both my R's that had CT boxes...
Old 11-03-2015, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RTW DC2R
You are missing a fastener on that rear interior panel

Nice work so far, I wish I could make some progress like this on my car lol. Slow going for me.
Yes sir... I am missing plastic clips in all the usual places - interior trim, fender liner, here and there. When I run out of other things to spend money on, I'll make a big list and order all the hardware in one go.

Originally Posted by DC2-ProdUcTiOnS
Looks great so far!! Keep it up!

You may still get a little bit of whistle from the CT box... I did on both my R's that had CT boxes...
Interesting. I just ordered a CT icebox last night, and plan to use the stock elbow. Perhaps the plastic elbow will minimize those sounds? We shall see.

Last night I received the speed bleeders, so I plugged them in to the stock calipers and installed the pads while I wait around for discs to arrive. I also pulled off the Brembos and did as much pre-work as I could ahead of the rotors. Curse the person who chose Philips-head screws for the disc retainers. I got the right rotor off but the left one is stuck, I will try again tonight before giving in and ordering an impact driver.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My stock intake with the resonator box removed, and a spoon filter whistles at certain throttle positions.

Everybody hates those disk screws. Many people just leave them out.

Originally Posted by 1223
Interesting. I just ordered a CT icebox last night, and plan to use the stock elbow. Perhaps the plastic elbow will minimize those sounds? We shall see.

Last night I received the speed bleeders, so I plugged them in to the stock calipers and installed the pads while I wait around for discs to arrive. I also pulled off the Brembos and did as much pre-work as I could ahead of the rotors. Curse the person who chose Philips-head screws for the disc retainers. I got the right rotor off but the left one is stuck, I will try again tonight before giving in and ordering an impact driver.

Quick Reply: 00-1223