Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

ys1 transmission

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ys1 transmission

well here is the deal. my original ys1 was put back in with the rebuild motor. gripforce stage 3 clutch with 9.5lb flywheel,new throw out bearing and pilot bearing. when i drove it,it made a noise ,the noise it makes when you go in reverse.made that noise in every gear.i thought it was maybe the throw out bearing but once you press the clutch between shifting it would stop. you let the clutch go it would make the noise. even when at a red light..two days later the transmission got stuck in 4th. So i got another transmission same ys1. made the same noise. got stuck in 3rd. could it be something other then the transmission it self?.. shift linkage? shifter bushing? shift rod?
Old 03-24-2010, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ys1 transmission

Originally Posted by 92 CiviC H.B
well here is the deal. my original ys1 was put back in with the rebuild motor. gripforce stage 3 clutch with 9.5lb flywheel,new throw out bearing and pilot bearing. when i drove it,it made a noise ,the noise it makes when you go in reverse.made that noise in every gear.i thought it was maybe the throw out bearing but once you press the clutch between shifting it would stop. you let the clutch go it would make the noise. even when at a red light..two days later the transmission got stuck in 4th. So i got another transmission same ys1. made the same noise. got stuck in 3rd. could it be something other then the transmission it self?.. shift linkage? shifter bushing? shift rod?
Its a little hard to really tell what you mean.. are you saying there is a constant noise familiar to what it sounds like when your driving in reverse??

Or,do you mean when you go to put it in gear, it makes that click sound like when you shift into reverse??

Im assuming this wasn't happening before the motor rebuild?
and are you doing the work, or someone else?
Old 03-24-2010, 11:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes its constant noise,exactly the same noise you hear when you are driving in reverse. the transmission was fine when i bought the car. i did all the work. I'm 100% sure the motor is good and not making that noise. when you change gears the noise stops. the noise (reverse sound) only happened when in gear,accelerating or decelerating. at a red light you would hear the throw out bearing,press clutch in and it would go away. it was loud very loud. the bearing is new and greased. the second transmission drove fine for two days. in the morning when i started it,that's when the loud throw out bearing started,and that day it got stuck in third.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Maybe a stupid question but you filled the transmission up to the fill hole right? IF there wasn't any transmission fluid I would see the gears getting hot enough to weld themselves together.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

not a stupid question.actually a very good one.yes it was filled up.but when i took the first transmission out and opened the case it was empty,so its because it had no oil in it and got stuck in 4th...so how do i fix it or its ****ed
Old 03-25-2010, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

????????anyone
Old 03-25-2010, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the noise is nothing to be worry about its just the throw out bearing spinning and yes fill your tranny wit honda mtf and that should at lest eliminte that is not the fluid
Old 03-25-2010, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well today i checked the transmission and it seems like it doesn't have oil. i put oil in it and it didn't really do anything,transmission still stuck in 3rd gear. so i guess both transmissions got starved out of oil and got stuck in one gear. can the transmission gurus chime in and tell me how to fix it or what to do? pretty sure one good transmission can be made from both. I've opened a few transmissions and took out internals just never replaced anything or fixed one but i do know how it works and all.. someone help.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:00 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Umm, you're not going to make anything usable out of two transmissions that were each run for multiple days with no oil. You pretty much destroyed all of the bearings, probaby overheated and/or broke gears and synchronizers, and more than likely scored the shafts. You're going to need to replace a lot more parts than you think if you want a usable, realiable transmission.

The noise you were hearing was probably a combination of bearing howl and gear whine from the lack of lubrication. When you heard it, you should have stopped driving the car and checked it out immediately. Reverse makes the noise because it is a straight cut gear; all of the teeth on the forward gears are helical cut and will not make any noise unless something is seriously wrong.

Next time, fill the transmission properly with MTF.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

damn so just keep the casings then i guess.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

today i took the transmission apart,the one that got stuck in 4th.the gear looks black which means it overheated,got way too hot. also i can spin ever gear with my hand beside the fourth. so what if i just change the gears from my other transmission that got stuck in 3rd.and make one set that spins freely. everything else is fine,bearings seem to be good and synchronizers do to. would it work or no?
Old 03-29-2010, 11:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If it dosent spin freely its the Needle Bearing inside of the Gear Also the Shaft might be Rusted. . As for the other tranny stuff Depends on what Tranny. All parts are interchangeable inside the YS1 with Hydro Intenals. For more info Search the Transmission Forum. If u need Anything For ur Tranny PM me. I have tons of Tranny Stuff lying Around.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Personally I would be uncomfortable rebuilding a transmission that got so hot. If you are wanting to try and do all the work your self just pull the 4th gear out of your other transmission and put it in there change the oil and see how it does.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

that's what i was thinking to do. but i cant seem to take the fourth gear off.its like welded on there or something. i try to take it off again and then drop my tranny out of the car and see what i can do.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

When they get so hot sometimes you can't get them off. That would leave me to believe that something else is going to be warp also.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

damn well i will try and see if i can take the gears off the other transmission.if not i will just get another tranny. think that;s the best idea and if i fix one of them i can still sell them or something.