Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

XTD clutch reviews good or bad.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: XTD clutch reviews good or bad.

I rate these clutches. i've used them for over 4 years with no complaints. first one was still going strong with over 30,000 of boost on a d16! I'm going to be trying out one of thier stage 4s on a k24 to see if it is just as good. I'd recommed them for a basic to moderate setup.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Dc2 pretty tweaked running an M-Factory stage4 clutch setup with their superlight flywheel.

A little noisey, very grabby. But unless you have really good pedal control- you'll either stall or sound like a learner driver with a few revs and then chirp the tyres without trying.

A great clutch with a huge heavy bite. Going any bigger on a street car is just making it unstreetable.

If i was to destroy this unit i'd step down to a stage3. I find it a little too grabby especially such as when you have a cop beside you- staring at your car because it low and idling strangly.

Posted from Honda-tech.com App for Android
Old 07-04-2012, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Pretty good clutch for the money. I run them in all my street cars.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had an act 4 puck sprung on my boosted d an it ripped the pad off at only a 1000 miles an I went to xtd for the money an got the stage 3 6 puck an hasn't gave me any problems for over 5000 miles
Old 07-13-2012, 08:35 PM
Global Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran a stage 3 XTD clutch on an old All motor setup.. Held up fine. Currently running a Competition Stage 4, will most likely go back with ACT when it's time to be replaced.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've have a stage 3 6 puck xtd. I installed it in 2008. ran it on a b16 with spray, then built a ls/vtec with itr pistons, then reused it on a b20 with 9 psi that ran 12.9 at 115. one of the best clutches i've seen for the money. I even dumped the clutch at 5000rpms in 3rd and it still rolled the smoke out of the tires. no problems still yet, and i took it to a clutch repair place to inspect and they said it was like new. I have seen only two problems with these clutches...and it's due to improper installation. either over torquing the bolts and the disc explodes. or improper alignment and the trans was forced in by starting bolts, which puts the center hub of the clutch in a bind.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow this thread is still up? lol that pretty funny cause the buddy of mine i was talking about in a few pages back we swapped out his clutch just cause its been so long and felt like he should. So we dropped the trans, took it off, and STILL had meat. He was boosted for a while but later was just a semi-stock motor, still beat on it though. Honestly, i would rock it for the price.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

BUMP this thread ttt....I am in the same shoes as the original poster, but after reading the entire thread I think the XTD is a cluth that is underrated and is worth the money. No one has expressed extreme negativety towards XTD at all, just a lot of positive feedback.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

old thread i know.
but posting because i have a xtd clutch kit installed on my jdm b16a and thought i'd give my .02 cents

During the break in period it chattered ALOT. but i'm hitting about 2000km on the clutch and after about 1000 it smoothed out and now it's very smooth. and i just recently hit the strip with this to test out and it grabs. good.

using a stage 4 6 puck unsprung disc with 11 lbs flywheel.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

One word of advice though. In seeing over 30-40 sets of honda XTD clutches I can confirm that there can be a fitment issue with some of them, for instance, witht the D series clutches I had no problem but my mate and a customer at my local shop had issues where the plate hit the bellhousing inside. Some grinding sorted this out but it shouldn'tbe the case.This also happen to a 2zzge XRS clutch I sold on to another enthusiast.Same issue. But thankfully XTD is very good when looking into replacements and they are solid clutches otherwise as I've mentioned before in this thread.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:25 PM
Trial User

I'm glad I found this thread, made me more comfortable with my purchase today.

A guy posted in a car group I'm in that he was selling a new XTD stage 3 clutch kit for $115. I got it off him for $100. My car needs a new pressure plate, but I figured it'd be best to replace everything.

Its sprung though, so hopefully no springs come off. >.<
Old 07-29-2013, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Iv ran multible xtd clutches in many of my cars. Always unsprung stage 4 or 5. Best bang for your buck. And ive always had turdo civics or integras. If u go stage 4 or 5 my friend be careful because their ingaged or disingaged at that point. Theirs no lemme ease off out of the driveway or parkin spot lol unless u got it reved to 5k or 6k lol. Stage 2 or "maby" 3 will do u just fine but for a daily driver their just fine. Alot of what u read on hear are magazine readin forum junkies that have never turned a wrench. They just hear what a guy told his buddy that told another guy that told him. XTD is a good clutch for the price. Iv launched a mild built welded diff LS VTEC ON SLICKS at 8500 rpm on an XTD just fine. Go ahead and get it. No wories. Check out my build thread. No XTD their but youll understand why. Peace out big homie and good luck!
Old 07-29-2013, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Friend with an ls (and now Type R) uses them and every year the springs fall outa his.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my question is my xtd clutch just failed can i simply buy a new clutch disk? btw clutch only lasted 15,000 miles im thinking an exedy clutch disk and can i keep my light weight flywheel
Old 10-28-2013, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Never had a problem with an unsprung xtd clutch. **** sprung clutches!!! U dont need springs.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It held up a full summer of about 10,000 km. Driving hard no issues. And I ordered a heavy clutch but once it was well broken in it's not that hard to engage. Just takes some getting used to
Old 04-19-2014, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bring this thread back up... so is it good.. cause im thinking of going with it cause it's a cheap as clutch. for a hellabroke budget.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:05 AM
Trial User

Sorry for digging up an old thread and this may relate to a car that isn't a Honda, but I figured you would appreciate the story anyway.
So the Mazda MX-5 is known to be a particularly powerful car in the world.
Despite that, we have discovered a clutch manufacturer out there than can sell a product marketed as "Stage 1 Racing clutch" incapable of handling MX-5 power levels.
The car in question is a standard 2001 Mazda MX-5.

The clutch failed at just 160kms/100miles. All the friction material disintegrated, peeling away from the clutch plate and leaving little more than a powder inside the gearbox.
We contacted the supplier but they have refused to respond, and sadly the clutch is from the USA (we're in Australia) so I can't go down the street and say hi.
So at the moment we are out of pocket for a failed clutch, for a new clutch, for machining the flywheel, and the effort to replace the clutch.

This was the clutch we bought:
XTD Stage 1 Clutch P Lite Flywheel KIT 1990 1993 Miata MX 5 1 6L | eBay
Distributors For Clutches | Clutch Kit Suppliers | Buy Online Clutches - XTD Clutch

And this is it, 100kms later:
Name:  066i49g.jpg
Views: 1591
Size:  65.8 KB
Name:  GSxrlkB.jpg
Views: 1570
Size:  55.2 KB
Name:  YtUsaat.jpg
Views: 1567
Size:  32.3 KB

Heed my warning, avoid.
Old 11-18-2020, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Whiterice-gsr
I'd like to hear from ppl who have actually had a xtd clutch installed on their car, ive been trying to research this but its alot of "I heard" and so on. so if u have used one and have a good or bad review please post or if u know someone well who has tried one, what was there experience. I'm specifically looking at their 6 puck sprung stage 4 clutch. which they say is good for 315 ft/lbs. my clutch is in need of replacing and i was thinking of trying it out. price is a factor for me.
I haven't used the stage 4 but I've used the stage 3 six puck clutch with flywheel for years and on two separate builds. Typically they've consistently lasted about two years on a clutch. Not too bad for the money.