Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Wierd idle problem 91 DA Integra RS, won't hold idle.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wierd idle problem 91 DA Integra RS, won't hold idle.

Hey guys, I have a wierd problem that's going on with my '91 Integra RS. It has a B18A engine.

Basically, when I purchased this car from someone else, they said they just rebuilt the engine, and it had "only about" 600 miles on it, chassis has 225k. The car seemed to run fine, just a little rough idle, no biggie, probably a bad motor mount or dirty IACV. He also mentioned he re-used all the stock spark plugs/wires/distributor cap/rotor.

So, I buy new spark plug wires, spark plugs, distributor, rotor, change those out, also take off the IACV, it is dirty, clean it out with brake cleaner, then put everything back together, hoping that it'll run good as new. Start the car up, feels better, but the engine is still idling a little rough.

I decide to take a look at the cam gears, thinking there's a chance he might've mis-aligned them a tooth when he was putting the engine back together. Sure enough, they're off. Jack the car up, re-adjust them, put it back together, start the car up. Now here's the new problem.

At idle with the lights off, the car jumps from about 900 to 200 when stopped. It feels like it's about to die, but then it doesn't. When I turn the lights on, it'll idle like this also when stopped, but if I press the brake, then the car'll die. If I turn the lights off, then press the brake, it'll just do the jumpy idle deal.

There's also a CEL code 43 for fuel system, so I'm thinking there's a chance maybe the fuel pump is going out, I really don't know. Anyone have any more input as to where I should possibly start with this? When I drive the car around town though and I'm not stopped at a red light, the car drives fine, although it does feel like it's very, VERY, underpowered.

Also, we already tried changing the timing on the distributor itself, but it made little to no difference. I'm also going to do a compression test, just to make sure the engine's really 100% kosher.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:34 AM

Hows your alternator?
Old 10-29-2008, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I was thinking that also, not too sure. Seems fine, just a little worn down. Think that could be the problem? Car seems to re-charge just fine, and the battery isn't dieing when I'm driving around.

Edit: Also forgot to mention that when I had the car up fixing the timing yesterday, I also made sure that the alternator belt was on nice and snug.

Modified by Adambomb at 12:40 PM 10/29/2008
Old 10-29-2008, 05:41 PM

Hmm you should get one of those voltage tester just to make sure. because my alternator was bad, pulled it out and put a new one on. when i looked at the old i found the marks they put on it when it comes out of the pick n pull >o<.

yeah but if it's recharging still IDK. you should still check out though.