Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Why is my engine burning so much oil. Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 08:16 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is my engine burning so much oil. Help

Hey so just recently my engine started to burn alot of oil. And started to let out blue smoke only when I sometimes I floor it. So what I did I changed the PVC valve, did a oil change, added a additive. The blue smoke has stopped but it continues to burn oil. I was thinking bad piston rings, or a bad head. Idk. Help.
Old 04-30-2019, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Why is my engine burning so much oil. Help

Try engine restore , it is one of the better additives that can often work.
Old 04-30-2019, 02:12 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

Received 183 Likes on 161 Posts

The only way the engine can burn oil would be bad rings or valve stem seals.
Old 05-01-2019, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
Try engine restore , it is one of the better additives that can often work.
Yup this stuff works miracles! I use it on my high mile Civic every oil change really restores Compression and HP and helps stop burning oil! deff try it!
Old 05-01-2019, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeah, I've had great success with engine restore and also use it every oil change even though my motor only has 70k miles. But to test out your piston rings, look up how to do a dry and then wet compression test. That'll definitely let you know whether your rings are bad.
Old 05-01-2019, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Normally I would be skeptical about any mechanic in a can, but when farm project independently tested Engine Restore with great success on their tractor I was convinced. I swear my engine fires so much quicker since using it on my Integra, I haven't put enough miles on it to test for oil consumption.

I would run a high mileage oil or just some conventional oil like Castrol GTX with a bit higher viscosity - 40 weight ? Valve seals, ovalized cylinders, and piston rings are the biggest culprits. A proper functioning pcv system helps to keep piston rings working properly.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Normally I would be skeptical about any mechanic in a can, but when farm project independently tested Engine Restore with great success on their tractor I was convinced. I swear my engine fires so much quicker since using it on my Integra, I haven't put enough miles on it to test for oil consumption.

I would run a high mileage oil or just some conventional oil like Castrol GTX with a bit higher viscosity - 40 weight ? Valve seals, ovalized cylinders, and piston rings are the biggest culprits. A proper functioning pcv system helps to keep piston rings working properly.
Owe dude when my TR engine cracked a piston and the rings a long time ago I had massive blow by and the vent on my VC was shooting grey smoke. For ***** ang giggles I poured in the can lol and that sucker stopped smoking and had some power back enough that I could drive up the big hill which when before it barely drove up the hill after that I was sold on it, and my D series has like 200k miles and still runs very strong! I use a can every oil change!
Old 05-01-2019, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wunfstgsr
Owe dude when my TR engine cracked a piston and the rings a long time ago I had massive blow by and the vent on my VC was shooting grey smoke. For ***** ang giggles I poured in the can lol and that sucker stopped smoking and had some power back enough that I could drive up the big hill which when before it barely drove up the hill after that I was sold on it, and my D series has like 200k miles and still runs very strong! I use a can every oil change!
wow that is pretty amazing, I think I will continue using it on my GSR as I do like the difference it has made. I will have a good idea of oil consumption after I get some miles under my belt.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow that is pretty amazing, I think I will continue using it on my GSR as I do like the difference it has made. I will have a good idea of oil consumption after I get some miles under my belt.
A simple catch can will help as well as a new PCV valve if still using the OEM black box. Pressure is routed to the catch can and not forced through the rings and seals.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Do you pour a whole can of it every oil change and put less regular motor oil instead?
Old 05-02-2019, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by aw614
Do you pour a whole can of it every oil change and put less regular motor oil instead?
No, it's not a traditional "oil additive" that you would do that with. To my understanding, it works itself into the cylinder walls to provide a better seal and thus more compression. Just use the normal amount of oil that you usually use and then add a 4 cylinder sized can. Just make sure to shake it up first! But again for op, even though he doesn't seem to be reading his post's comments, do a dry and wet compression test to see if you need to replace the piston rings.
Old 05-02-2019, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by aw614
Shake the can pour it in then your fresh oil.