Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

What conventional oil do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What conventional oil do you use?

I dont know what kind of oil i should use in my teg. as far as conventional oils go, whats a good brand? and what weight is good for an integra? i know the manual says 5w-30 but i hear alot of people here say 10w-30. also, is the high milage formula from most brands actually good for higher mileage cars, like 115k?

i know there have been alot of synthetic oil and synthetic vs. convetional oil threads, but none for just conventional.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:28 PM

Default Re: What conventional oil do you use? (Blahblah718293)

I use Valvoline 5w-30 or 10w-30, 10w-30 maxlife on the transmission. Thats just because i get the hook up on it
Old 03-30-2007, 06:20 PM

Default Re: What conventional oil do you use? (integra-sir)

i like Castrol GTX 5w-30. I heard the anti-sludge formula is good for higher mileage cars. im about to hit 100,000 on my DA.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:29 PM

Default Re: What conventional oil do you use? (Blahblah718293)

^^^Damn, your just broken in, remember, its a Honda. I use Castrol GTX 10/30 during the summer and 5/30 during the winter. I live in FL, so it doesn't really even need the 5/30 according to the Helms oil chart. I have over 300K miles, so I have considered going to a high mileage type conventional oil, but why if Castrol has done so well up till now. Car runs great still.

IntegraSir, you might want to consider running Honda MTF. Never run anything because of a hookup, run it only if it was designed for the application.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:43 PM

Default Re: What conventional oil do you use? (integra-sir)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by integra-sir &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I use Valvoline 5w-30 or 10w-30, 10w-30 maxlife on the transmission. Thats just because i get the hook up on it</TD></TR></TABLE>
you should NEVER use motor regularly on a transmission, its only for temporary. i would switch to honda mtf or gm syncromesh asap

i bought my teggy 2 months ago, it has penzoil in it currently. gonna get rid of that asap with whatever acura puts in it.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:41 PM

Default Re: What conventional oil do you use? (20ls01)

i stick with 10w40 vav durablend and a lucas additive
Old 03-31-2007, 01:52 AM

on my old dc2 with 90k miles i used 10w40 castrol full synt oil. It didnt burn much compared to 10w30 & below.

on my new swapped gsr civic i use 10w30 mobil 1 clean 5000, but im going to start using 10w30 castrol full synt. oil.
Old 03-31-2007, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (1.8L_allmotormilitia)

well i hear if you switch to synthetic you can open up oil leaks and i dont want that.

also, what are the advantages/disadvatages of 5w30 vs 10w30?
Old 03-31-2007, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What conventional oil do you use? (blueDAteg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blueDAteg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i like Castrol GTX 5w-30. I heard the anti-sludge formula is good for higher mileage cars. im about to hit 100,000 on my DA. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Wow talk about low miles

In my old DA i used 10-30 with no problems
For my 98 GSR 5-30 Mobil 1 Syn. Doesn't burn a drop and no problems at all
Old 03-31-2007, 06:34 PM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What conventional oil do you use? (Sam92Teg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sam92Teg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I live in FL, so it doesn't really even need the 5/30 according to the Helms oil chart.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wrong.

According to the viscosity chart in the manuals for North American Integras (the owner's manual and the service manual, both published by Helm), 5W30 is preferred at all temperatures. You can also use 10W30 if the temperatures in your area don't go below 20 degrees F - so yes, in Florida, you can use it - but 5W30 is still preferred.
Old 03-31-2007, 06:36 PM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: (Blahblah718293)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blahblah718293 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well i hear if you switch to synthetic you can open up oil leaks</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not true.

If you want the benefits of synthetic oil - greater resistance to breakdown at high temperatures, better flow characteristics when cold - you can switch at any time. The only downside is the higher cost.
Old 03-31-2007, 06:42 PM
H-T Order of Merit

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 20ls01 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you should NEVER use motor regularly on a transmission, its only for temporary.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not necessarily true. Motor oil is perfectly acceptable for many cars. If it says it's okay in the owner's manual and service manual, it's okay (and not just on a temporary basis).

The '94-97 Integra service manual specifies 10W30 or 10W40 motor oil. The '98-01 manual specifies Honda MTF.
Old 03-31-2007, 06:57 PM
Darth ModerVader

Default Re: (nsxtasy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blahblah718293 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well i hear if you switch to synthetic you can open up oil leaks and i dont want that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nsxtasy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Not true.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sure it is. Even Royal Purple's own site (among others) acknowledges this possibility:

http://www.royalpurple.com/techa/faqsa.html#mo5

"Will synthetic oil cause my engine to leak?

Properly formulated synthetic oils will generally not cause an engine oil leak. Synthetic oils possess a higher degree of natural solvency, which can clean and remove deposits left by other oils. The removal of extensive oil deposits can expose marginal or damaged oil seals that may then leak. If an engine currently has excessive oil consumption (i.e. greater than 1 quart / 1,000 miles) the recommended course of action is to solve the oil consumption problem before switching to a synthetic."
Old 03-31-2007, 07:57 PM

Thanks for the advice on the Honda MTF, i was thinking of putting some in a while back.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:13 PM

Default Re: What conventional oil do you use? (nsxtasy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nsxtasy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Not necessarily true. Motor oil is perfectly acceptable for many cars. If it says it's okay in the owner's manual and service manual, it's okay (and not just on a temporary basis).

The '94-97 Integra service manual specifies 10W30 or 10W40 motor oil. The '98-01 manual specifies Honda MTF.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yet the transmissions are the same. It took auto manufacturers some time to realize that syncronized transmissions benefit greatly from a MTF that has friction modifiers formulated into the fluid. These friction modifiers allow the syncros to match the input and output shafts/gears for smoother shifting, even when the syncros themselves start to wear.

I have over 300K miles on my tranny, and with regular motor oil, like you are recommending, it grinds at higher rpms. With Honda MTF it doesn't. You must use some common sense when the type of transmission on a newer vehicle and its older counterpart are the same. If Honda/Acura recommends Honda MTF on the newer model, then the older will benefit also, both in smoother shifts and longevity.

I see your post count and know that you have seen and heard it all before, but I am posting some personal experience from a high mileage manual tranny. Honda MTF is good stuff, and yes I have heard of the GM syncromesh fluid also.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

only castrol gtx 10w-30 for me
Old 04-01-2007, 09:05 AM

You do realize honda transmission fluid is the sames as honda motor oil without the detergents
Old 04-01-2007, 09:19 AM

Default Re: (RevanDA85)

im using castro syntec 5w30 right now and i have 101k on my 98 gsr. im about to go mobil 1 synthetic 10w30 for a thicker blend.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:14 AM

Default Re: (RevanDA85)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RevanDA85 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You do realize honda transmission fluid is the sames as honda motor oil without the detergents</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nope, wrong. Honda MTF has fluid modifiers to help the syncros use the fluid to match gear speeds. Do some research.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:47 PM
H-T Order of Merit

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blahblah718293 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well i hear if you switch to synthetic you can open up oil leaks and i dont want that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nsxtasy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Not true.</TD></TR></TABLE>

nsxtasy is absolutely correct.

Here's what it says on the Mobil 1 website:

Myth: Mobil 1 will leak out of the seals of older cars.

Reality: Mobil 1 does not cause leaks. In fact, new Mobil 1 was tested in dozens of industry standard and original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) tests to prove its seal performance. It is fully compatible with the elastomeric materials from which all automotive seals and gaskets are made. If an older engine is in good condition and does not have oil leaks, Mobil 1 provides the same advantages as when used in a new engine. ExxonMobil recommends taking measures to repair the leaks, then using Mobil 1. ExxonMobil also recommends following the automobile manufacturer's manual for the proper oil to use.

Maybe Royal Purple causes leaks, but Mobil 1 doesn't.

If you have sludge built up inside your engine, you're better off removing the buildup, rather than depending on an inferior oil to keep it from leaking. Deal with the problem instead of trying to cover it up.

And, in the same vein...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sam92Teg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have over 300K miles on my tranny, and with regular motor oil, like you are recommending, it grinds at higher rpms. With Honda MTF it doesn't.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Then the teeth on your synchros are probably worn. That's what's causing it - not the transmission fluid. Some fluids may cover up the symptom better than others, but they have nothing to do with the problem itself.

If you're experiencing grinding, the best way to deal with it is to replace the parts that are causing it, rather than covering up the symptom.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sam92Teg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I see your post count and know that you have seen and heard it all before, but I am posting some personal experience from a high mileage manual tranny.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I am posting some personal experience from several high mileage manual transmissions. I've used both fluids without problems. You can use motor oil OR transmission fluid. Either one will work.
Old 04-01-2007, 04:03 PM

I have absolutely no transmission problems while using Honda MTF. But if I use straight motor oil, it grinds. So I do have syncro wear, but why would I rebuild if all I have to do is run Honda MTF? It runs like a new tranny with it. Once again, common sense.

And if motor oil is just as good as Honda MTF, then why does my tranny run perfect with Honda but grind with motor oil? I must just have a special tranny.
Old 04-01-2007, 04:34 PM
Darth ModerVader

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nsxtasy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nsxtasy is absolutely correct. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Unfortunately, he's not, and I think he may be so vehemently focused on touting the virtues of synthetic oil that he's unwilling to accept or admit that it isn't necessarily the single best option for <u>every</u> owner in <u>every</u> situation.

I'm fully aware of the statement on the Mobil 1 website. However, it is not only poorly (or cleverly, depending upon your perspective) worded, it also doesn't specifically address what we're discussing here.

The original statement in question was:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blahblah718293 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well i hear if you switch to synthetic you can open up oil leaks and i dont want that.[/b]</TD></TR></TABLE>

Of course, Mobil 1 can claim that it doesn't cause leaks and is perfectly compatible with engine seals. The same is true for Royal Purple and any other readily-available modern synthetic. That's not the issue. The issue is that it (and other synthetics) can expose leaks that were not previously a problem. The fact that Mobil 1 is less up-front about addressing this possibility than Royal Purple or other manufactures are does not mean that it is somehow immune to these issues. Check out other manufacturer sites and carefully read their FAQ's, paying attention to the language and wording. You'll see sentences like, "If the seals are in good condition...", or "Repair the seals first...", et cetera. Again, are the oils actually causing the leaks? No. But if there wasn't any chance of people experiencing leaking after switching to synthetic oil on a high-mileage motor (regardless of the underlying "cause"), the companies obviously wouldn't include these statements at all.

I can certainly understand and agree with the concept of dealing with the problem itself, but what you fail to address is that the "problem" isn't necessarily going to manifest itself (or at least not as quickly) if the owner stays with conventional oil. If the "problem" of ageing seals is not causing any current symptoms, the owner isn't "covering it up" by using conventional motor oil. He simply isn't exposing or exaggerating it.

As for the MTF, I don't understand why you would argue for or recommend motor oil as a suitable substitute, when Honda's MTF is an obviously superior option that was specifically designed for use in Honda transmissions. Regardless of what is causing a grind, if the transmission functions better when using Honda MTF (and it does, as many people with transmissions in varying states of health will attest -- particularly when using the newest formulation), why would anyone want to use motor oil? There's essentially no cost advantage, and Honda MTF is quite readily available. Your frequent posts in oil threads lead me to believe that you possess an interest and some sort of knowledge on the subject, so I would assume you'd be an advocate of using the proper lubricant for the application, and would know that not all oils or lubricants are created equal.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:22 PM

it depends what weight of oil you're using. This contradiction is why you should never take info that you hear in a forum seriously. Ask a real honda/acura tech. Preferably a master tech.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:32 PM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: What conventional oil do you use? (Padawan)

Originally Posted by Sam92Teg
I have absolutely no transmission problems while using Honda MTF. But if I use straight motor oil, it grinds. So I do have syncro wear, but why would I rebuild if all I have to do is run Honda MTF? It runs like a new tranny with it.
Common sense says that the fluid is a band-aid that does not cure the problem, only mask it. But if you're happy with it, fine.

Originally Posted by Sam92Teg
And if motor oil is just as good as Honda MTF, then why does my tranny run perfect with Honda but grind with motor oil?
Different fluids can produce different results. I know some folks who have the same problem, and the tranny grinds with Honda MTF, but it doesn't with GM Synchromesh. According to your logic, that "proves" that people shouldn't use Honda MTF in their transmissions.

Originally Posted by Padawan
Unfortunately, he's not
Yes, I am.

I think he may be so vehemently focused on touting the virtues of synthetic oil that he's unwilling to accept or admit that it isn't necessarily the single best option for <u>every</u> owner in <u>every</u> situation.
I'm not vehemently opposed to anything, and unlike YOU, Padawan, I'm not up on a high horse attacking people with experience for expressing their knowledge about a topic. I'm not the one who goes off on a rant and makes it personal. You are.

FWIW, before you go claiming what I'm willing or unwilling to accept or admit, you might ASK - because you're just wrong about that statement, too. You've really got a problem when you attack people and try to put words in their mouths and then argue against those words. You look pretty silly doing that, you know. So maybe YOU should stop being so vehement and adamant, since you HAVE NO IDEA what I believe or would do in various situations.

Of course, Mobil 1 can claim that it doesn't cause leaks and is perfectly compatible with engine seals. The same is true for Royal Purple and any other readily-available modern synthetic. That's not the issue. The issue is that it (and other synthetics) can expose leaks that were not previously a problem.
Except that the other side of the issue is that conventional oil, changed reasonably frequently, can do the exact same thing (expose leaks that were plugged with sludge). Again, it's not the conventional oil that causes the leaks, but the conventional oil can expose the leaks, just as easily as synthetic can.

I can certainly understand and agree with the concept of dealing with the problem itself, but what you fail to address is that the "problem" isn't necessarily going to manifest itself (or at least not as quickly) if the owner stays with conventional oil.
Not true.

As for the MTF, I don't understand why you would argue for or recommend motor oil as a suitable substitute, when Honda's MTF is an obviously superior option that was specifically designed for use in Honda transmissions.
Because the transmission can function without problems with either fluid. MTF is not "obviously superior" in a properly functioning transmission. I've used them all - motor oil, Honda MTF, and Redline MTL, and I've found absolutely no difference in the smoothness of shifting or in any other aspect of the transmission.

Regardless of what is causing a grind, if the transmission functions better when using Honda MTF (and it does, as many people with transmissions in varying states of health will attest -- particularly when using the newest formulation), why would anyone want to use motor oil? There's essentially no cost advantage, and Honda MTF is quite readily available.
The FACT is that I was not advocating motor oil over Honda MTF, only stating that, in a transmission in good working order, you can use either MTF or oil, without problems. Want to use MTF? Go ahead, that's fine. In certain cases - if the transmission has problems - you may need to try various fluids if you're trying to mask those symptoms, and Honda MTF may not even be the one that masks them the best.

Your frequent posts in oil threads lead me to believe that you possess an interest and some sort of knowledge on the subject, so I would assume you'd be an advocate of using the proper lubricant for the application, and would know that not all oils or lubricants are created equal.
And your repeated personal attacks lead me to believe that you've got some kind of personal interest in what people use, beyond just expressing an opinion here. I don't know if you're selling fluids or you just have some kind of personal obsession about it, but you're never content to just talk about facts and sources of information, you keep hammering at ME - "ad hominem" arguments that people often use when they don't have the facts to support their case. You fail to admit the FACT that motor oil will NOT hurt a properly-functioning transmission. Is Honda MTF as good as motor oil? Yes. Heck, I use Honda MTF myself, at the moment. But in the past I've used motor oil in my cars for which it was recommended, with absolutely no problems. Which is the opposite of what was previously claimed.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:37 PM
Darth ModerVader

Originally Posted by nsxtasy
Yes, I am.

I'm not vehemently opposed to anything, and unlike YOU, Padawan, I'm not up on a high horse attacking people with experience for expressing their knowledge about a topic. I'm not the one who goes off on a rant and makes it personal. You are.
I'm not sure what post you're reading, but nothing in mine could be construed as an attack, a rant, or anything "personal". I was simply stating facts.

FWIW, before you go claiming what I'm willing or unwilling to accept or admit, you might ASK - because you're just wrong about that statement, too. You've really got a problem when you attack people and try to put words in their mouths and then argue against those words. You look pretty silly doing that, you know. So maybe YOU should stop being so vehement and adamant that you don't even KNOW what I believe in various situations.
It's quite clear to anyone reading this thread that you believe that synthetic oils will not, or can not, expose oil leaks on high-mileage engines. If that isn't your belief, you should consider revising your posts, because that is the message that is being conveyed. And while we're on the subject of ranting and personal attacks, you may want to read what you've actually written, because only one of us has presented that tone in his posts, and it isn't me.

Except that the other side of the issue is that conventional oil, changed reasonably frequently, can do the exact same thing (expose leaks that were plugged with sludge). Again, it's not the conventional oil that causes the leaks, but the conventional oil can expose the leaks, just as easily as synthetic can.
Just as easily? I assume you have empirical data to support that claim? How would continuing to use a conventional oil that has heretofore exposed no leaks in a motor suddenly begin to do so? Why would the same oil that has been used for the life of the motor begin to dissolve sludge and deposits out of the blue? Again, I am not stating that leaks will never develop if one continues to use conventional oils. My original statement was simply a disagreement with your assertion that synthetic oils will not "open up oil leaks" in high-mileage motors. The fact is, it can happen. That was my sole point, and it is one that is supported by several motor oil manufacturers.

Because the transmission can function without problems with either fluid. MTF is not "obviously superior" in a properly functioning transmission. I've used them all - motor oil, Honda MTF, and Redline MTL, and I've found absolutely no difference in the smoothness of shifting or in any other aspect of the transmission.
Your findings are in direct contradiction with the experiences of many other individuals. I won't dispute your own experience, because it's just that, your experience. What I can say with certainty is that Honda developed, and recently improved, its MTF specifically to perform as well as possible with its transmissions. It is the currently recommended fluid, and as you can find simply by reading through this thread, owners have found it to offer superior performance over standard motor oil.

The FACT is that I was not advocating motor oil over Honda MTF, only stating that, in a transmission in good working order, you can use either MTF or oil, without problems. Want to use MTF? Go ahead, that's fine. In certain cases - if the transmission has problems - you may need to try various fluids if you're trying to mask those symptoms, and Honda MTF may not even be the one that masks them the best.
You can also use conventional motor oil in your engine without problems. However, you frequently (and I do not fault you for it) advocated the use of synthetic oil for its various advantages. As you've stated in the past, synthetic is a better option for an engine. Likewise, Honda MTF is a better option than motor oil for a Honda transmission. Surely you can concede to that.

And your repeated personal attacks lead me to believe that you've got some kind of personal interest in what people use, beyond just expressing an opinion here. I don't know if you're selling fluids or you just have some kind of personal obsession about it, but you're never content to just talk about facts and sources of information, you keep hammering at ME - "ad hominem" arguments that people often use when they don't have the facts to support their case. You fail to admit the FACT that motor oil will NOT hurt a properly-functioning transmission. Is Honda MTF as good as motor oil? Yes. Heck, I use Honda MTF myself, at the moment. But in the past I've used motor oil in my cars for which it was recommended, with absolutely no problems. Which is the opposite of what was previously claimed.
Honestly, I still do not understand what you are interpreting as a personal attack. I have no vested interest whatsoever in what oils people run in their cars. If anything, I'd prefer to see people use what's best for them, and if you want to fault me for that, I suppose that's your prerogative. All I've provided in this thread is facts I've pulled from various sources. None of them have been intended as personal attacks on you or anyone else. If you want me to admit that motor oil is "good enough" for a Honda transmission, that's fine. But for someone who routinely recommends superior lubricants for an engine, it leaves me wondering why you'd be content with "good enough".

At the risk of being repetitive, I'd like to restate that no portion of my posts was intended as an attack on anyone, and I've remained quite civil even after the unprovoked name-calling and baseless insinuations in your latest reply.

Quick Reply: What conventional oil do you use?