what all do you need for turbo setup

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 what all do you need for turbo setup

first time turboing, i want to compile a complete list of all i need

and help advice would be grand.

im referencing an complete ebay turbo kit. i know, ebay is bad but id rather go with one of them so ill ill have all the parts that i know will work with eachother.

turbo charger
intercooler
intercooler piping
downpipe
turbo manifold
wastegate
blow off valve
bov flange pipe
fuel pressure regulator
boost controller
oil catch can
air filter adapter
turbo timer
oil feed kit
oil drain kit

and ill also need?
Old 07-06-2010, 10:46 PM
Trial User

Default Re: what all do you need for turbo setup

You're also going to need to do a custom exhaust if you go the ebay route, but I would highly recommend not going through ebay. Depending on the make/model/year of your vehicle there are many companies (greddy for one) that make direct bolt on kits for your car that will come with a base map as well. Yes they are a little more expensive but in the long run it's going to be close in price with all the extra s#*t you'll have to buy by going with the ebay kit. By going through ebay you're going to end up cutting, bending and twisting s#*t to make everything fit while a direct bolt on kit is specifically designed for your vehicle. Check out procivic.com; they've got a good selection of direct bolt ons. Make sure you shop around and check out as many reviews as you can before you make your decision. You're going to have to tap your oil pan to run oil to your turbo, but besides that everything else should fit like it was made for it, cuz it was!

Good luck with your build!

PS: Don't beat the hell out of your motor right after you finish your build. Make sure you break it in nicely for a couple thousand miles before you really get on it and get it dyno'd and tuned AS SOON as you finish installing everything. A bad air/fuel mixture will f#*k your world up!
Old 07-06-2010, 10:51 PM
Trial User

Also, the majority of the ebay kits come with knockoff parts. Usually the boost controllers they include are worthless as well as the metal used in the piping. If it's not the proper metal it will crack under high temps. Do yourself a favor and spend the extra $ or else you're gong to end up dropping another couple G's on a new motor.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:52 PM
Trial User

You're also going to need to do a custom exhaust if you go the ebay route, but I would highly recommend not going through ebay. Depending on the make/model/year of your vehicle there are many companies (greddy for one) that make direct bolt on kits for your car that will come with a base map as well. Yes they are a little more expensive but in the long run it's going to be close in price with all the extra s#*t you'll have to buy by going with the ebay kit. By going through ebay you're going to end up cutting, bending and twisting s#*t to make everything fit while a direct bolt on kit is specifically designed for your vehicle. Check out procivic.com; they've got a good selection of direct bolt ons. Make sure you shop around and check out as many reviews as you can before you make your decision. You're going to have to tap your oil pan to run oil to your turbo, but besides that everything else should fit like it was made for it, cuz it was!

Good luck with your build!

PS: Don't beat the hell out of your motor right after you finish your build. Make sure you break it in nicely for a couple thousand miles before you really get on it and get it dyno'd and tuned AS SOON as you finish installing everything. A bad air/fuel mixture will f#*k your world up!
Old 07-06-2010, 11:22 PM
pm4nudes

ebay kits will need a little work. they dont make those kits perfect. you might get a couple pipes that wont match up or line up. inspect every thing prior to install. run low boost because thats whats recommended for those kits. IMO you can get a better deal on HT marketplace.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im just looking for low boost, like 7-9 lbs, maybe 50-100 hp gain. for that i figure ebay turbo should be fine.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chewyv
ebay kits will need a little work. they dont make those kits perfect. you might get a couple pipes that wont match up or line up. inspect every thing prior to install. run low boost because thats whats recommended for those kits. IMO you can get a better deal on HT marketplace.
I agree, or just piece it together.

You said you wanted to get an eBay kit so you know all the pieces fit. But really, you can piece it together and end up with a better, longer lasting setup.

Plus, you will learn more about the system and how turbo's work and that never hurts.

You also need to add to your list:
- Fuel pump
- Fuel pressure regulator
- Bigger injectors
- Fuel pressure gauge
- ECU chipping/engine management (a tuner basically, somebody to chip and tune your ECU).
- Oil pan with drain (or buy a coupling/weld it in)
- Oil pressure gauge
- Water temp gauge

And if you want to get fancy, a Wideband, though thats not critical (but very good to have).

**Edit** As far as exhaust, just run 3" the whole way, no muffler (no cat either). The turbo sounds sexy through the exhaust. You save money + you don't have a ricey fart cannon sticking out the back.

Last edited by mac_24_seven; 07-07-2010 at 01:21 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:53 AM
Painfully Stupid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good thread. Someday My R will have a turbo kit.