Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Weird overheating issue - did a search and didn't find anything on my issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2005, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird overheating issue - did a search and didn't find anything on my issue

Hey All, I've got a 1994 TEG GSR. It has a B20/vtec swap that was done a couple years ago with no issues.

The car hasn't done this since last winter. It has been a strange intermittent problem. The main issue is the car will start to overheat at idle, but once I get moving it returns to normal. (This is the common issue I found in the search) What is unique to me is that it will **** the majority of the coolant into the reservoir once it starts to overheat and then when you get moving it sucks it back into the radiator sometimes. Sometimes I have to physically pour it back into the radiator. I've been thru 3 oem radiator caps so it can't be that. It is a fairly new aftermarket radiator - about 2 years old. I've bled the system countless times and checked all the hoses for cracks but never found anything obvious. The coolant has never leaked out under the car either. The fans are working fine. It seems like air in the system or possibly a pressure issue.

I recently had an issue will the IACV coming loose and it wacked out the idle giving that surging idle. Turns out the gasket was bad so I replaced it and then the next day I had the overheating issue again. Thanks in advance for the help. Jason
Old 07-17-2005, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Weird overheating issue - did a search and didn't find anything on my issue (SoulDigger)

I would suggest that you replace your thermostat because it kind of seems like its getting stuck or something.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:15 AM
ALF
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Weird overheating issue - did a search and didn't find anything on my issue (SoulDigger)

Do your fans come on at idle?
Old 07-17-2005, 11:50 AM

Default Re: Weird overheating issue - did a search and didn't find anything on my issue (ALF)

It probably won't have anything to do with you thermostat, I'm sure it's you radiator fan. When it's warmed up check if it comes on.
Old 07-17-2005, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok guys I'll check the fans. I was fairly sure I could hear them coming on, but I'm not 100%. If they aren't coming on then the culprit will be....the fan switch?
Old 07-18-2005, 12:27 AM

im pretty sure if you top off your radiator...it should fix your prob...try keeping the rad cap off and car on...you should see it bubble...wait...then add some more to top it off.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TODA GS_R)

Alright guys, I warmed the car up for about 20min then I let it idle with the A/C off, both fans came on and after about 5mins the temp gauge slowly started to rise. So the fans are working. I was thinking about flushing the radiator and getting in a proper mix of coolant. I think it's a 50/50 and I thought I read somewhere that it should be 70/30. I might as well change the thermostat while I'm doing this. Although I'm not conviced it's the thermostat because when it went bad the first time at 50k miles it acted different and the lower radiator hose was cool and now they are both warm. I guess it could be doing something different this time. Keep the suggestions coming . Thanks, Jason
Old 07-20-2005, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SoulDigger)

Evening bump
Old 07-20-2005, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Start your car and let it warm up..... the top hose from the radiator to the cylinder head should be pretty warm..... now check the lower hose that is connected from the bottom radiator to the thermostat.... if its cooler then the top radiator hose then you need to replace your thermostat or bleed(purge) air out the radiator system.

Old 07-21-2005, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Quitripin)

Cool thanks for the info. I'll try that today and probably just go ahead and change the thermostat and flush the system. Jason
Old 07-21-2005, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

let me know if you find a fix.. mine is doing the same thing.

in april the car overheated and i knew i had a problem with the radiator.. so i changed that and havent had any problems till yesterday.

I was at idle at the bank and all of a sudden i watched my needled go right into the red. I shut the car of for a few minutes and started back up and drove around the block to my house and the car was ok.. it never went past half on the way home.. so i let it cool and take off the rad cap and its empty.. i go to the store and get a jug of 50/50 and redline water wetter and fill it up (its pretty empty) so i read the manual and its burning up.. says the rad cap could be the culprit, so i buy a new 16 lb pressure cap.. so ill find out today.. ill be driving around watching the temp gauge and let you all know if it happens again..

what pound rad cap are you using? in the manual it says for me to use a 14-18 lb cap. i have a 92 integra gsr.

Old 08-04-2005, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (92integraVTECgsr)

Hey Guys. I just wanted to give a quick update on the overheating issue. I replaced the thermostat, flush the coolant system and replaced all the radiator hoses as well. My problem is cured. One of my hoses, I believe the small diameter one that runs to the firewall had a small crack which could be why I lost some coolant a few months back. The thermostat was definitely sticking though. So thanks again to all the helped me out. Jason