Very Strange ABS problem - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Very Strange ABS problem

Old 05-22-2005, 04:17 AM   #1
Honda-Tech Member

Default Very Strange ABS problem

My first post!!

96 integra LS. I have read all of the abs posts and have tried the suggestions but still have not been able to fix my problem. My abs light would come on after driving for a few minutes. The usual bhrr bhrr sound of the abs would sound before the light comes on. I have pulled my code and i got an 18, 13, 13. I'm guessing there's a leak and I have replaced the o-ring in the accumulator as an attempt to a quick/cheap fix (not too sure about the quick part, took me many hours to remove the abs unit because the brake lines into the abs were so tight).

The problem is that when i bleed my abs, there would be endless tiny compressed bubbles. The bubbles would not go away after using 2 quarts of brake fluid and the light would still turn on again after a few minutes of driving. Is this normal?

This is how I bled the abs: attach hose and empty bottle, turn on engine and wait for abs unit to finish compressing, then loosen bleeder for one second to let out fluid and tighten right after to let the abs unit finish recompressing, then i repeat until I would have to restart the car because sometimes the unit takes longer than 45 seconds to recompress and abs turns off. Is this the correct way of bleeding the abs?

Why are there bubbles in the abs after i bled it so much while making sure the abs resevoir is full?

If i have to replace the whole unit, does anyone know where I can obtain one for under 100 bucks besides from ebay?

any links to a good manual? (I have a laser printer with free toner and paper and am not afraid to use it :-D )

How do I diagnose which part of the abs unit is bad?

Does the abs leak air bubbles into my normal brake system? (it had happen twice where my brake pedal would hit the floor when i tried to stop at a light, but would become firm again after I restart the car, after bleeding the brakes, the pedal is also firm again).

aye, long post, i hope someone responds, THanks!
seeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 05:04 AM   #2

Well first off, welcome to HT.

One thing you'll want to do is find the biggest junkyard/salvage yard in your area, and keep them on speed dial. If you pedal is dropping to the floor, then it's most def. air in your lines. I'm not sure on the procedure for bleeding ABS, so i can't help there. But if you type in "bleed abs" in search it brings up 7 results. Don't specify where on the board to search, just search the whole board.

This should help ya out
DAguyLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 05:55 AM   #3
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Very Strange ABS problem (seeeker)

i have a abs unit from a 96 teg for sale, brake lines and all. looking to get 150.00 plus shipping. this was in a car that had 11,000 miles on it. dealer gets over 700.00 for it. pm me if you need it
jennifermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 07:02 AM   #4
Daisy... Daisy...

Default Re: Very Strange ABS problem (seeeker)

I can't help you with the problem details. However if you do need a pump, try this site:
http://www.car-part.com
Dogginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 10:34 PM   #5
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Very Strange ABS problem (Dogginator)

Thanks for the replies, I guess i'll have to replace the unit. Seems like no one knows why there are still bubbles in the abs after bleeding all the regular brakes and then further bleeding the abs unit. If anyone wants to sell their abs unit for around 50 bucks, hook me up :-D 150 is too much for me (poor college student). Thanks though. I'm really tempted to just unplug the abs so that i don't hear the bhrr bhrr sound anymore.
seeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 01:31 AM   #6
Honda-Tech Member

if u hear the buzz then the light comes on its probably the abs unit. i have the same problem when ever i turn my car on i get the buzz.
WhiteGSR95 is offline   Reply With Quote