Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

tuning a stock gsr???

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 10:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tuning a stock gsr???

I have a 95 gsr with I/H/E. My question is that would it be worth trying to tune my motor (using hondata, h200, afc...)? would just be a waste of money? what kind of power gains would be able to squeeze out of the gsr?
Old 12-07-2009, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tuning a stock gsr???

Originally Posted by jesse0880
I have a 95 gsr with I/H/E. My question is that would it be worth trying to tune my motor (using hondata, h200, afc...)? would just be a waste of money? what kind of power gains would be able to squeeze out of the gsr?
yea its worth it if u going the NA route, hondata will give u like a 10-15 hp gain....
Old 12-08-2009, 12:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In all honesty, tuning for just intake, header, and an exhaust is not worth the investment, the power gains will be minimal, however there are gains to be made. Now, any further mods to the engine would be beneficial to get tuned to optimize the amount of fuel, ignition advance or retard, for your specific engines needs, and no a basemap doesn't cut it, they are just a starting point for your tuner and are just what someone thinks your engine wants, not what it actually needs. For just an intake, header and an exhaust, the stock ecu will compensate just fine.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:01 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

put on an aftermarket intake manifold or more and then tune it
Old 12-08-2009, 06:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Tuning should be the last step in a build, unless your build is extreme enough that you need to tune as you go to keep things safe in the engine. I'd say a tune is worth it even for I/H/E if you aren't planning on going any farther, but obviously you'll get more out of a tune the more you've done.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Count me as one of the few people who would tune a 100% stock car. With IHE mods, I certainly would want it tuned.

Yes, the ECU can compensate some. But really, the stock ECU is like running a basemap, it close enough to handle all the variations of the engine from manufacturing tolerances and such, but still not perfect for the exact engine its running. You'll get better power, mileage, and longevity from the tuning. I'd also wager that the power per dollar gain is better for tuning than any intake, header, or exhaust.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Throw in :

Blox I/M - $150
Type R T/B - $100
Type R cams - $250
Tune - $250
Why not?
Old 12-08-2009, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GagnarTheUnruly
Tuning should be the last step in a build
Unless your idea of a build consists of an intake, exhaust, and a header, I disagree.

As said above, ANY engine can benefit from tunning. If the OP plans on taking this any further, now is a perfect time to invest in a tunning solution. Also, Any time you mess with the compression, valve lift, or introduce positive pressure, a tune is in order immediately.

Last edited by SoTexDC2; 12-08-2009 at 03:56 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL

Tuning a stock motor can be very benifical.. I probably tune 2 or 3 stock motors a week and people go to the track and notice a difference..

Anytime a mod is done, to make the most power a tuning should be done, some people can't afford that...

Tuning a stock motor is very well worth it..
The following users liked this post:
Old 12-08-2009, 03:44 PM
Touching My Member

Originally Posted by ALL M0T0R
LOL

Tuning a stock motor can be very benifical.. I probably tune 2 or 3 stock motors a week and people go to the track and notice a difference..

Anytime a mod is done, to make the most power a tuning should be done, some people can't afford that...

Tuning a stock motor is very well worth it..
x10, there is someone on here that tuned a bone stock b16 with great results. Why not run the engine at optimum levels?
Old 12-08-2009, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

IF your inquiring.. about getting a tuned map, i do offer that service.. you can pm me for pricing.. or visit my site.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SoTexDC2
Unless your idea of a build consists of an intake, exhaust, and a header, I disagree.
I only say that because tuning would get expensive if you did it after every mod. Of course, depending on how long between mods you might want or need to tune in the interim.

As said above, ANY engine can benefit from tunning.

Also, Any time you mess with the compression, valve lift, or introduce positive pressure, a tune is in order immediately.
+100
Old 12-08-2009, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GagnarTheUnruly
I only say that because tuning would get expensive if you did it after every mod. Of course, depending on how long between mods you might want or need to tune in the interim.
Expensive, yes, but necessary. Thats why, when it comes to your engine, I don't recommend taking baby steps. Irrelevant to the original post, though.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SoTexDC2
Expensive, yes, but necessary. Thats why, when it comes to your engine, I don't recommend taking baby steps. Irrelevant to the original post, though.
The necessity of tuning with only an intake, header and an exhaust is debatable, but like I mentioned previously, anything further than that would necessitate a tune.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by I AM WEASEL
The necessity of tuning with only an intake, header and an exhaust is debatable, but like I mentioned previously, anything further than that would necessitate a tune.
I was only correcting the generic suggestion to tune last.

I can think of many "in between" scenarios that could potentially lead to catastrophic failure. All I'm saying is, alter the compression ratio or change the valve lift/duration in any way - tune. period.

I agree that with an intake and/or exhaust, tunning is not completely necessary. You may or may not see any gains without tunning, but the engine will not grenade.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Very true, I also find it ironic when people get a basemap and think they have a tune. A basemap is just what one person thinks your motor wants in terms of fuel, ignition advance/retard, etc. as opposed to a tune which is tailored to the engines NEEDS. A basemap is just a starting point for a tuner and there are many factors that determine an engines needs that the person providing the basemap, even if it is your tuner, can't account for without actually tuning the engine whether that is a street tune or a dyno tune, with the latter being better.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

tuning on any oem motors with basic boltons make a difference. especially if you dont have a cat no more.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Very true, I also find it ironic when people get a basemap and think they have a tune. A basemap is just what one person thinks your motor wants in terms of fuel, ignition advance/retard, etc. as opposed to a tune which is tailored to the engines NEEDS. A basemap is just a starting point for a tuner and there are many factors that determine an engines needs that the person providing the basemap, even if it is your tuner, can't account for without actually tuning the engine whether that is a street tune or a dyno tune, with the latter being better.
There's a difference between silly basemaps and maps that are fully tuned

I've tuned a ton of different cars.. and i offer those "tuned" maps to other people.. the main factor when choosing a good map is injectors..

If a guy like the OP has a GSR with just bolt ons, i have about 10 different GSRs with bolt ons i've tuned in the last month alone.. i can even go in depth.. and ask is the header a 421 or a 41..whats the exhaust piping, how bout the intake is a CAI or short, do you have a vstack.. i take my tunes very seriously.. i offer a tuned map for a small charge.. its not a **** in the wind map like other companies offer.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Tuning is needed whenever you want every drop of hp as well as other reasons too. I would tune a gsr even if it had a 3inch intake, v-stack, and filter although it is not always necessary.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

great info guys. thanks.

my gsr isn't really something that I would take to the track. I have a buddy that gets about 40mpg with his d16 with a tune. I was just wondering if the gsr motors respond the same to a good tune.... but deffinently not looking to dump any more into the motor.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would say a tune is worth it.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:48 AM
Trial User

What kinda power can my gsr make with i/h/e skunk2 1st gen mani 3inch exhaust dual springs titanium retainers
Old 09-27-2017, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Di Dikainthe
What kinda power can my gsr make with i/h/e skunk2 1st gen mani 3inch exhaust dual springs titanium retainers
lol kys
Old 07-10-2018, 11:38 AM
Trial User

In all honesty, tuning for just intake, header, and an exhaust is not worth the investment, the power gains will be minimal, however there are gains to be made. Now, any further mods to the engine would be beneficial to get tuned to optimize the amount of fuel, ignition advance or retard, for your specific engines needs, and no a basemap doesn't cut it, they are just a starting point for your tuner and are just what someone thinks your engine wants, not what it actually needs. For just an intake, header and an exhaust, the stock ecu will compensate just fine.
if u swapped from the original intake mani that has the butterfly flaps u will have to tune it, would not run right, you will gain power just by swapping it and not tuning it, but it will hurt your engine because your computer still thinking it has those flap gonna throw a code and won’t reach its full peotential I’m currently running a 96 b18C1 GSr vtec with a skunk 2 intake mani I had the butterfly flap intake manifold on mine, got a hold of a P28 OBD1 chipped it with a GSr basemap but little to the aggressive aide vtec kicks in now 4800-8200, pula good and I’m pushing around 200 by the feels of it but can be little under that mainly all stock but ARP and headstuds coppersprayed cometic headgasket and miner head work done, expesially if you in a place that needs an E-test I just plug the Orignal ecu in, and fix all lights before going if any for the one that don’t need plug it and of sniff or aslong as there is no lights
Old 07-10-2018, 11:48 AM
Trial User

you can make decent amount by changing your vtec kick in around by getting a p28 chipped with basemap and the skunk2 intake because of u don’t you actually loose power because with the butterfly flap intake mani, vtec fully opens at 6500, if you want to make the intake manifold more benifit to you, u tune vtec half throttle kicks in 5500, ends 8200, full throttle kicks in 4800-8200, you will notice a big difference make sure it’s a OBD1 p28 and get a jumper harness if needed or what ever u need for an ecu if in original integra body mine is done in a 2000 civic coupe with a 99/00 SIR engine harness