Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

timing belt skips

Old 12-12-2011, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default timing belt skips

so i replaced my timing belt with the oem belt and my timing belt STILL skips. it skipped again for the 3rd time but the belt is brand new..... help pls!
Old 12-12-2011, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: timing belt skips

Well... you could have too much resistance (cam bearing surfaces, distributor), which seems unlikely but possible.. Cam gears could be worn smooth (or poorly machined)..

Or, more commonly, the tensioner pulley is incorrectly adjusted, spring is stretched or missing... etc.

Was the factory procedure for tensioning the belt followed (exactly)?
Old 12-12-2011, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yup and cam gears were oem. I couldnt think of any other reason why it would still skip..... BUT i havent replaced my tensioner yet..... so could it be the tensioner....?
Old 12-12-2011, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by vtec_01
yup and cam gears were oem. I couldnt think of any other reason why it would still skip..... BUT i havent replaced my tensioner yet..... so could it be the tensioner....?
Tensioner FTW!!! i would think that if your T-belt is skipping after replacement its not getting the proper tension on the pulleys (that being said as long as everything else is o.k) We (my repair shop where i work) ALWAYS recommend tensioners when doing a timing belt just for that reason
Old 12-12-2011, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vtec_01
so i replaced my timing belt with the oem belt and my timing belt STILL skips. it skipped again for the 3rd time but the belt is brand new..... help pls!
The tensioner has nothing to do with the tension itself; that is a function of the tensioner SPRING.

The factory method of tensioning removes enough slack that the belt will not skip, although it may slap around enough to contact the underside of the valve cover.

Please describe--precisely--how you are tensioning the new belt.
The following users liked this post:
Old 12-12-2011, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheRealTegger
The tensioner has nothing to do with the tension itself; that is a function of the tensioner SPRING.

The factory method of tensioning removes enough slack that the belt will not skip, although it may slap around enough to contact the underside of the valve cover.

Please describe--precisely--how you are tensioning the new belt.
i stand corrected. ^^^^^ that is exactly how it works on this application... i see a lot of vehicles per day and tend to talk in general terms. sorry for the wrong info