Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Acura Integra (https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-integra-6/)
-   -   thinking about buying an integra (https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-integra-6/thinking-about-buying-integra-3013201/)

whitehf 01-03-2012 06:47 AM

thinking about buying an integra

theres a 99 integra 4dr auto for sale...body is pretty straight, interior is pretty clean...the only bad is that it has 250k....car has been smogged...everything is stock on the car...it has cold a/c and warm heater...engine is pretty quiet while driving...but there is alot of oil by the head (dizzy side) down to the block (im guessing cam seals)....what are some other things i should check out? car is for 3800....whats a resonable offer...

Gsrsi 01-03-2012 06:55 AM

Re: thinking about buying an integra

Gsrsi 01-03-2012 06:57 AM

It does have a lot of miles. But usually when I see oil like that the first thing I think is that it was beating on. All the pressure
From over revving all the time will make oil seep out. + not maintaining it.

geetee74 01-03-2012 07:45 AM

well in its defense it does have 250k.....could be just normal wear and tear (and not been cleaned up) i agree $2000 sounds reasonable..

whitehf 01-03-2012 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by geetee74 (Post 46614940)
well in its defense it does have 250k.....could be just normal wear and tear (and not been cleaned up) i agree $2000 sounds reasonable..

its coming from a small dealership...its actually 3400 but after taxes it would run about 3800 out the door...2000 is kinda lowballing don't you think? i was thinking about offering 3400 out the door...ill probably do a compression test if i go back to check it out..

geetee74 01-03-2012 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by whitehf (Post 46614972)
its coming from a small dealership...its actually 3400 but after taxes it would run about 3800 out the door...2000 is kinda lowballing don't you think? i was thinking about offering 3400 out the door...ill probably do a compression test if i go back to check it out..

At a dealer $2000 for it would be low (although i think that the $3800 is really high for it) $3400 out the door based upon the info you gave would be a reasonable offer. Compression check, scan for trouble codes (history and pending---if the monitors arent set you know its been cleared out) Test drive it fo sho!!!

christien 01-03-2012 08:02 AM

$3400

B20ztek 01-03-2012 09:02 AM

Thats a rip-off, if theres oil everywhere it probably wasnt maintained correctly and with 250k+ i would not risk it.

OnTheRode 01-03-2012 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by whitehf (Post 46614684)
theres a 99 integra 4dr auto for sale...body is pretty straight, interior is pretty clean...seat fabric color is monarch blue (like on this trade show poseidon)... the only bad is that the car has 250k....car has been smogged...everything is stock on the car...it has cold a/c and warm heater...engine is pretty quiet while driving...but there is alot of oil by the head (dizzy side) down to the block (im guessing cam seals)....what are some other things i should check out? car is for 3800....whats a resonable offer...

I don't know about a 1999, but my 1990 leaked a lot of oil, and I was told that's just the way Integras were... I'm assuming they fixed the design, but I don't know. Even with the oil leak, I loved the car! Just suxed that I had to put a quart in every one or two thousands miles. :(

ecobrakes 01-03-2012 03:45 PM

i wouldnt pay over 2gs for it, im sure u can find a better one for around the same price

fcm 01-03-2012 05:20 PM

Lets see, 4 doors, 250K, [I assume miles not kilometers] oil leak, [probably not a big problem],

You said, "body is pretty straight, interior is pretty clean, what exactly does that mean, is there any rust on the body, [rear wheel arches], has the car been in an accident, any signs of body work or new paint?

I would pay a mechanic to go over it, and give you a list of what needs doing right away and what will need doing and the cost of doing so, if the mechanic thinks the car is sound, other then what he thinks needs repairing then use that list, [cost of repairs] and whatever the "inspection" cost you as a bargaining tool, take those costs right off the asking price.

If the car has no rust, [pull the arch protectors and see if there is rust under them] and has not been in an accident, I would probably offer $2500, [out the door], if mechanic thinks engine and drive train are in very good shape I would go $3000 out the door, I would definatly not pay more then $3000 for a 13 year old car with more then 200K miles on it, no matter how good of shape it is in, if it was a 2 door I would probably go as high as $4000, but it would have to be pretty minty. 94

lowerthanu 01-03-2012 07:54 PM

search on here and craigs way before a dealer! people are broke and selling good cars for cheap. dealers are not broke and will wait for another sucker. i got my clean title MINT 97 LS frost white four door five speed with 115k for 1900 3.5 years ago. The motor was blown but I got a clean jdm ls for 700. 2600 out the door. Good cars are out there, especially integras. Take your time, find a deal.

b20bFourDoorCivicLX 01-03-2012 08:07 PM

i found mine for 500:) all i needed was a new battery and re-timed:) i love my teg

kk.gifted 01-03-2012 08:09 PM

if your still looking i do have a really clean dc4 intgra comes with rims, no rust 10 in and out with custon exhaust. motor never molested and garage kept. literally drove it for a week then put it back in the garage. i just like the way it looks so i brought it and kept in in there haha. so yea 4200 takes it. 5 speed new clutch and 173k on it but when i take it to shops and shows people cant believe how show room it looks. time to sell though because i have a son no and just trying to sell all my cars to buy a daddy van.

whitehf 01-04-2012 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by kk.gifted (Post 46619229)
if your still looking i do have a really clean dc4 intgra comes with rims, no rust 10 in and out with custon exhaust. motor never molested and garage kept. literally drove it for a week then put it back in the garage. i just like the way it looks so i brought it and kept in in there haha. so yea 4200 takes it. 5 speed new clutch and 173k on it but when i take it to shops and shows people cant believe how show room it looks. time to sell though because i have a son no and just trying to sell all my cars to buy a daddy van.

car is actually for my lady...she needs an auto...her last car was a rsx and that k-series was a pain in the butt...chain stretched twice so i decided to sell it...i need somthing i know how to work on, either b-series or d-series...

her old 94 ls had oil all over the same spots and it never was a problem..no oil loss or anything...im thinking that this 99 was used for commuting cause of its high milage...ill probably do a compression test and bring my obd2 reader to see if theres any codes for this car...never delt with a dealership before..how much would they bend with the prices?

Cy Green 01-04-2012 06:47 AM

$3800 is way too much for the amount of miles that are on it. What kind of dealership is this? Is it a small dealer or big dealer? Do they know a lot about this car or was it just a trade in and they're trying to get rid of it? If they don't know a lot about it, it'll give you an advantage when you tell them what it is worth. Also, if you do a compression test and there's something off about it even more reason to not pay what they're asking. Or they won't let you do it I might just move on. Did you get a car fax or check kbb? From what you say about it I'd start them at $2400 INCLUDING tax and license.

keeping_secrets 01-04-2012 02:10 PM

3800 sounds over priced for that car. like the others said look on craigslist you can find way better deals on there. i got my integra for $800 All stock good condition and it only had 120,xxx miles on it.

Gsrsi 01-04-2012 05:26 PM

Btw is it a vtec.

UnleashedEJ1 01-04-2012 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Gsrsi (Post 46624348)
Btw is it a vtec.

Really?

UnleashedEJ1 01-04-2012 11:27 PM

Is this a "buy here pay here" lot, if you have the access to the $3800 you should buy from a private seller. But if you dont have the cash and cant get a personal loan from your bank you might be forced into over paying for a car like the Integra you are looking at. I would put the value of the car at $2500-$3000. I recently sold a 94 GSR sedan with LS engine/trans, high body miles and some quater panel rust for $2500.

Charbonowsky 01-05-2012 10:36 AM

$2000 not lowballin on a car that has really high millage and leaking oil, could be more problems than u know.i paid $3800 for my 93' LS with 40K on the motor and the body and interior was great. your gonna have to probly rebuild that motor in another 100k miles or less probly less sence its been used and abused most likely. id do $2500 max these cars go for pretty cheap nowadays lol

imbest123 01-05-2012 08:21 PM

overpriced