Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Starting/cruise control issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting/cruise control issues

Here are the 2 issues I'm having in my 97 GSR. There are times when my car will start on the first attempt. Then there are times when it won't. When the car doesn't start right away, I will keep the ignition switch turned all the way to the start position and pump the clutch, after 5-10 pumps of the clutch, it will usually start up.
Then I recently noticed that once in a while, if I have the cruise control on, for no reason the cruise control will just disengage on its own, even if I don't touch the brake or clutch pedal. Would my cruise control issue have anything to do with my car not cranking over right away? I've replaced the neutral safety switch and I'm still having the same problem.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Starting/cruise control issues

Could be many things with the start-up problem but all basic like altenator, ignition, starter, plugs, dizzy etc etc
when was the last time you gave your car a good tune up?

and i have no idia about the cruise control, it could just be a shortage in the wires and thats why it disengages at times
Old 05-22-2009, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EG6Boy702
Could be many things with the start-up problem but all basic like altenator, ignition, starter, plugs, dizzy etc etc
when was the last time you gave your car a good tune up?

and i have no idia about the cruise control, it could just be a shortage in the wires and thats why it disengages at times
When the car doesn't start right away, the starter won't even crank, the radio turns on, fuel pump primes, all accessories work, etc. It's acting like im just leaving the key on the accessories position and not even turning the key to start position. I've replaced, the starter, battery, ignition switch and wire harness, and I'm still having the same problem. Tune ups are done regularly.
I was wondering if it had anything to do with the neutral safety switch not thinking the clutch pedal is pushed down, so it's not sending a signal to the starter.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump for help
Old 05-26-2009, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

has your car been stollen recently? IF SO Try this, but if it hasnt DONT try it lol. Where the steering wheel is take that cover off. it should be 2 peaces with 3 philip screws after thats off on the oposite side of the ignition there is 2 smaller screws holding a circle thing with a wire in the middle, unscrew that and pull it out, it will look like a white circle with a little hole in the middle with teeth. take your screw driver and put it in the middle of the little hole and turn it back as if you were turning your car off then put it back and everything else and then try starting the car
Old 05-26-2009, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like u might be missing or have broken plastic stopper plugs on the clutch pedal assy... check under the dash on the clutch pedal u should have 2 switchs (1 for the clutch start, and 1 for the cruise control).... there should be a white/yellowish plastic stopper looking plug at the ends of the switchs.... i have had both of mine break off and cause cruise to not work.... if your clutch pedal has excessive free play that could causing the same issues.... hope this helps a lil....
Old 05-26-2009, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EG6Boy702
has your car been stollen recently? IF SO Try this, but if it hasnt DONT try it lol. Where the steering wheel is take that cover off. it should be 2 peaces with 3 philip screws after thats off on the oposite side of the ignition there is 2 smaller screws holding a circle thing with a wire in the middle, unscrew that and pull it out, it will look like a white circle with a little hole in the middle with teeth. take your screw driver and put it in the middle of the little hole and turn it back as if you were turning your car off then put it back and everything else and then try starting the car
It hasn't been broken into or stolen. The Ignition switch assembly is brand new from acura. Included ignition cylinder and complete wiring harness to the fuse box.