Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Acura Integra (https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-integra-6/)
-   -   Should I get another GSR? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-integra-6/should-i-get-another-gsr-2749986/)

RacerTim 03-26-2010 08:17 AM

Should I get another GSR?

I already have a 96 GSR. Its in decent shape, no mods. Its starting to rust. I found a 95 GSR for sale locally with a lot of stupid mods that I could get dirt cheap. Needs bumpers and a windshield, plus the tranny won't go into 2nd gear.

I was thinking about getting it and building a dedicated AutoX car. I can't do it much in my 96 now since I can't afford to break it (my dd).

What should I pay for the 95? They need to sell ASAP. I was thinking 1500.

SoTexDC2 03-26-2010 09:06 AM

Re: Should I get another GSR?

We really need more information in order to give you an estimated value. Mileage, condition, mods, PICS?

There is no correct answer to your other question. Ultimately, it's your decision.

RacerTim 03-26-2010 09:15 AM

3 Attachment(s)
- Doesn't run, supposedly needs a battery.
- ZEX nitrous system
- carbon-fiber hood
- skunk2 intake
- DC header
- catback exhaust (no name)
- coilovers (no name)
- needs both bumpers
- needs windshield
- doors have poppers, so need new ones probably
- supposedly no rust (looks like the picture shows some in the typical spot above the rear bumper)
- won't shift into 2nd gear
- Looks like it has a set of HX wheels

I know it needs work, but I can pick it up for $1,000 this weekend. I think it is a fair deal since the motor alone is worth that. I'd build the car for strictly autoX.

SoTexDC2 03-26-2010 09:24 AM

Is it worth $1000? I'd say so, even though it looks like it needs alot of work. I paid $11,700 for my first GSR, and $600 for my second..

Personally, I wouldn't buy a car with somebody's shitty idea of bodywork all over it. Shaved door handles are a pain in the ass. There aren't really parts on that car that hold any significant value, either. I'd probably pass and look for a true shell to build, but that's me.

RacerTim 03-26-2010 09:32 AM

I'm assuming your $600 GSR had a bad motor or something though. I don't have the budget to build a racecar from the ground up. Just trying to put something together cheap that will get me through the season.

SoTexDC2 03-26-2010 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by RacerTim (Post 41986574)
I'm assuming your $600 GSR had a bad motor or something though. I don't have the budget to build a racecar from the ground up. Just trying to put something together cheap that will get me through the season.

$600 Car was a bare uni-body structure that I bought as a theft recovery shell. Absolutely nothing left of it but the doors, cabin AC/Heater blower box and a few hoses.

It's very hard to estimate the value of a project car. If this thing is $1000 and fits your needs, by all means, go for it. With something like this, it's more about figuring out if the project will fit into your budget, than real world value.

If you don't plan on spending much beyond the initial purchase price of the car, then I suggest you do a compression check on the engine, and thoroughly look over all of the suspension components (bushings, shocks, wheel bearings, brakes, etc.) and anything else of importance to your intended use.

RacerTim 03-26-2010 11:12 AM

I guess the way I'm looking at it, the drive train is at least worth what I would be paying. Then I can always pick up another chassis dirt cheap if this one proves to be too much work.

racebum 03-26-2010 02:59 PM

my only concern is you spending so much time undoing that car. you might waste a ton of hours correcting bad body work and returning the car to a normal condition. compression test the motor as well, bring a battery with you

RacerTim 03-26-2010 04:02 PM

You're both right. My fiance doesn't want me to buy it and I'm not getting a positive vibe here either. I'm going to pass on it.

Thanks everyone.

getnasty 03-26-2010 08:03 PM

Well where is the car? You should atleast let us know where and contact info if you are going to pass.

PaulMc 03-26-2010 08:19 PM

You shouldn't waste your time with that. I'd give him maybe $500 for it. I'm also being reasonable.