Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Short Shifter Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2003, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Short Shifter Questions

I had a chance to sit in a S2000 yesterday and the first thing i noticed was how short the throws were. Would getting a skunk2 shifter make my throws as short as the S2000? I really like the way the shifts feel in the S2000 and would like my shifter to feel that way. I hear rumors about short shifters ruining your syncros and blah blah. So please, someone educate me on this and explain why it would ruin your syncros. A shifter is a shifter isn't it?
Old 04-20-2003, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Short Shifter Questions (StinkyTofu)

Ive never sat in an S2k...however...I love my Skunk2 shifter. It has great shorter throws, and is wonderfully sturdy with some bushings. Yay for skunk2 shifters.
Old 04-20-2003, 07:48 PM

a short shifter will make you pretty happy with your car, but probably not as happy as you would be with the feel of that S2K shifter. if you get one, you might as well go ahead and get some new polyurithane bushings to go with it to make it feel nice and crisp. they won't ruin your syncros or anything like that...just don't shift like a gorilla yanking a banana off a tree and you'll be fine.
Old 04-20-2003, 07:52 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by StinkyTofu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I hear rumors about short shifters ruining your syncros and blah blah. So please, someone educate me on this and explain why it would ruin your syncros. A shifter is a shifter isn't it? </TD></TR></TABLE>

it ruins your syncros if you don't disengage the clutch quick enough when you shift...it's basically when you shift without pushing in the clutch...extra stress on the syncros.

so basically if you install a short shifter, make sure to fully push in the clutch before pulling the shifter out of gear and shifting up to the next...most people can shift faster then they can press in the clutch...that equals extra stress on the syncros...late
Old 04-20-2003, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Short Shifter Questions (sjracer)

I see, that makes sense. But if you were to jam it in without pressing the clutch, wouldn't you feel it grind? But as long as i don't feel anything abnormal when shifting, i'm doing everything right, right?
Old 04-20-2003, 08:29 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by StinkyTofu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I see, that makes sense. But if you were to jam it in without pressing the clutch, wouldn't you feel it grind? But as long as i don't feel anything abnormal when shifting, i'm doing everything right, right?</TD></TR></TABLE>

just shift smoothly...timing is everything...make sure not to shift before you fully press in the clutch. yanking it out of gear too early or shifting it into gear too early will surely cause excessive wear on the syncros...good luck...late
Old 04-20-2003, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hm. Perhaps that explains why i get smoother shifts when I'm driving quickly.
Old 04-20-2003, 10:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

My generic short throw from AutoZone has a shorter throw than an S2000 or a stock 6-speed Miata shifter. Feels great w/ poly bushings, too.

However you will never be able to attain that smooth, direct feeling of the S2000 shifter since the tranny is right underneath the shifter in that car, no linkages and bushings to worry about.
Old 04-20-2003, 10:43 PM

Default Re: Short Shifter Questions (PatrickGSR94)

my roomate has the skunk2 in his gsr and he likes it alot and i think more than its shorter throws it feels a lot more crisp like someone said and has less play in gear if you kno wat i mean.
Old 04-20-2003, 10:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Short Shifter Questions (PatrickGSR94)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PatrickGSR94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
However you will never be able to attain that smooth, direct feeling of the S2000 shifter since the tranny is right underneath the shifter in that car, no linkages and bushings to worry about. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Darn it! I forgot about that. I wanna try out that skunk2 shifter. So many people have been raving about it, its almost like the ITR sway bar.

Sorta OT, but how does the skunk2 shift **** feel compared to an OEM ITR or OEM RSX (optional equipment) ****? I wish it didn't have that ugly skunk2 logo on the side of the ****.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 04-20-2003, 10:59 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by StinkyTofu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sorta OT, but how does the skunk2 shift **** feel compared to an OEM ITR or OEM RSX (optional equipment) ****? I wish it didn't have that ugly skunk2 logo on the side of the ****.

Thanks for the help guys. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I have an RSX Type S with the optional Aluminum shift ****. I love how it feels. Never felt the Skunk2 **** or the ITR ****, but from looking at them both compared to the RSX optional **** the RSX **** has a smoother curve to it. The ITR **** is more "squarish".

From that alone, i believe the RSX **** will feel better. Shoot, i know mine does! ...late

PS: The RSX optional aluminum **** is exactly like the one that comes on the '00 S2000. Not the new ones with that patch of leather around the ****, talk about ugly.
Old 04-20-2003, 11:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

The 2002 S2000 **** is quite nice. The Skunk2 **** weighs 440 grams, or one full pound, so it will quicken shifts somewhat.