Old 12-26-2006, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shaking/Vibration during acceleration only

*searched but came up dry*

1999 Acura Integra LS
120,514 miles
Completely Stock

Just recently my integra, which has no mods, has started shaking under acceleration. It doesn't matter how hard I accelerate either. But when it's idling or when I'm maintaining a constant speed it doesn't shake at all.

- I jacked the front up and the front wheels don't have any play in them, so I figured it's not a wheel bearing

- I checked out the motor mounts tonight, and they all seem to be in fine condition.

- One of the topics I found under searched said it could possibly be the CV joints, I haven't checked those yet, but how plausible is it that a bad CV would make the entire car shake?

Any ideas on what it could be or personal experiences would be nice

Thanks,
Sean
Old 12-26-2006, 09:45 PM

Default Re: Shaking/Vibration during acceleration only (Sean @ ESG)

i just had the same prob, 85% sure it the axle
Old 12-26-2006, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Shaking/Vibration during acceleration only (dseries_ef)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dseries_ef &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i just had the same prob, 85% sure it the axle</TD></TR></TABLE>

What brings you to this conclusion?
Old 12-26-2006, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Shaking/Vibration during acceleration only (dseries_ef)

i had the same prob.. 99.999% sure its the axles
Old 12-26-2006, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok, thats two votes for axles.

What on the axles is failing to make the car shake?
Old 12-26-2006, 10:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Sean @ ESG)

it may be because your car is dropped and it stresses out the axles or the lack on installation. i bought a pair of brand new axles once and had my buddies installed it for me. it vibrates under accel and it got so annoying that i took it off and installed another set of brand new ones myself. problem solved
Old 12-26-2006, 10:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DC2SiR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DC2SiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it may be because your car is dropped and it stresses out the axles or the lack on installation. i bought a pair of brand new axles once and had my buddies installed it for me. it vibrates under accel and it got so annoying that i took it off and installed another set of brand new ones myself. problem solved</TD></TR></TABLE>

1) I mentioned twice in my initial post that the car is completely stock.

2) The car has the original, stock axles.

Anyone else have an idea that can provide an explanation?
Old 12-26-2006, 10:22 PM
.E
Honda-Tech Member

Could be that your rims/wheels are out of balance. Try rotating the rear wheels to the front and drive to see if it still happens...if the shaking goes away then you found your problem.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Shaking/Vibration during acceleration only (.E)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .E &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Could be that your rims/wheels are out of balance. Try rotating the rear wheels to the front and drive to see if it still happens...if the shaking goes away then you found your problem.</TD></TR></TABLE>

As a matter of fact, I rotated them about a month ago, everything was fine before and fine after. This just started happening last week
Old 12-27-2006, 02:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree sounds like an axle. Also could be a broken motor mount. The bushing might of busted or so. I know you said you checked them but sometimes hard to tell while they are installed esp the tranny mount in the rear.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah, it really seems like a mount problem.

I'll ask this again - If it is the axle, what on the axles fails for the car to be shaking like that?
Old 12-27-2006, 07:25 AM

The joint inside the boot will fail after so much use. Most of the time the rubber boot on either end gets a tear or cracks from age. Dirt then works it's way into the joint and it's all down hill from there.

The other leading cause of vibration under load was mentioned above - rear mount. What a PITA to get to and change. If you can inspect it, you may find tears, rips in the rubber, or it is just gone all together.

As for the axles, you can rebuild the joints (or have it done=$$$). You can purchase a replacement set of axles from Honda/Acura ($$$), or local parts store ($). The OEM replacements will cost more & have a 3yr/36k warranty, while the parts store pieces will be cheaper and come with a lifetime warranty (which you WILL use). My take on it is this, "where is the savings if I have to replace these POS axles every 1-2yrs?". <U>"Most"</U>, (not all) parts store axles will fail LONG before an OEM one will, and have been known to be bad out of the box.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

When I replaced the axles on my civic I used brand new Napa ones with a lifetime warranty. Their rebuilds dont have a lifetime warranty, only a few years.

The integra's cv boots are not torn though, so I don't know what it could be. I'll check out the rear mount when I have more time. I've been working a ton
Old 12-29-2006, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

jack the car up and see if there is any play in the axles if so its your axles
Old 12-30-2006, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (kevin716)

it's a axle problem. as explained above, the problem is coming from a worn inner cv joint on one of the axles. you could have hit a pot hole and damaged the cage or bearing that is housed in the joint. this does not do any damage to the cv boots.
they will look normal when inspected. check them for play.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yep its got to be the axles..i had this problem..its shook horribly...it shook the whole front end...made it seem like the motor was hecka stalling...i think its the cv joint parts..if it doesnt look torn.im pretty sure the inside of it it all Fu@#ed up and broken into pieces..mine did that...if still shake just a bit and the motor is rocking back and forth then check your rear mount...
Old 12-31-2006, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok, thanks guys - I'll check the axles on my day off
Old 01-01-2007, 04:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i already said from the start.. its the axles biatch..
Old 01-01-2007, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DC2SiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i already said from the start.. its the axles biatch.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I appreciate the responses, but just because people on the internet "think" it's the axles, doesn't mean it's the axles. If you give me a response saying "It's the axles", and thats it, no reasoning behind it, why would I automatically believe someone who may or may not know anything about Honda's? Who's to say you were having the same problem as me? It's almost impossible to tell over the internet, but now that I have a majority of people saying it's the axles, with some reasoning behind it, it's worth it to check out now. Thanks again...biatch And if I remember correctly, you are the one who gave me the response "It may be because my car is lowered", when I stated in my first post twice that it was completely stock.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:23 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sean @ ESG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I appreciate the responses, but just because people on the internet "think" it's the axles, doesn't mean it's the axles. If you give me a response saying "It's the axles", and thats it, no reasoning behind it, why would I automatically believe someone who may or may not know anything about Honda's? Who's to say you were having the same problem as me? It's almost impossible to tell over the internet, but now that I have a majority of people saying it's the axles, with some reasoning behind it, it's worth it to check out now. Thanks again...biatch And if I remember correctly, you are the one who gave me the response "It may be because my car is lowered", when I stated in my first post twice that it was completely stock.</TD></TR></TABLE>

touche touche,

but agian, its your axles. ill bump my 85 % to 99.9%. from what iv seen you done already.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I changed the oil on the car yesterday and had a chance to look over the car a little better. The cv boots are not ripped/cracked, and the rear mount looks fine.

From what everyone is saying I suppose the joint could be damaged somehow without the boot being ripped.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Im not sure if my problem would be the same reason (axles) but my car makes a shaking noise when i turn left or right at slow speeds (for example turning left or right from a stop sign). Any ideas?
Old 01-02-2007, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (95dc2teg)

ima go with axles, happened to me, check your mounts if their leaking, check your control arm bushings, it might even be a loose wheel/unbalanced...

90% sure its an axles problem, i had the same symtoms on 4 month old axles.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sean @ ESG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I changed the oil on the car yesterday and had a chance to look over the car a little better. The cv boots are not ripped/cracked, and the rear mount looks fine.

From what everyone is saying I suppose the joint could be damaged somehow without the boot being ripped. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm somewhat familiar with the problem you're having. Have you checked the torque mounts at all?

And on that rear mount, How exactly did you inspect it? I'm curious to know how you determined it was fine.

As far as axles, they will vibrate and almost feel like wheel hop on acceleration. Thats due to inner joints being worn out. But I would highly rule that out if the car is at stock height, unless its driven hard, been in an accident, or been driven into some type of rough road or pothole.

I strongly think its a motor mount issue, and possibly an axle needing to be replaced. But I would look at mounts first, because it could cause your axles to internally bust from the stress of worn motor mounts.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

its ur axels i have the same problem exept my cv boot ripped of ill be replaceing my axels today

Quick Reply: Shaking/Vibration during acceleration only