Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Running AC without tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running AC without tensioner

This morning driving to work I accidentally miss-shift from 3rd to 2nd and my motor went past rev limiter to 10k on the cluster so I got scared clutch in and shift to 4th correctly thought I bent valves or something. On the way home from work I turned on my AC and heard a high pitch screechy noise so I immediately turn off the AC. So I went home and found out the bolt for the ac tensioner broke off I went and replace the AC bracket with my old LS. After finishing up the replacement the belt seems tight with the LS AC bracket and there wasnt need for tensioner. I started the car no weird whine or noise, started the ac and it seems to worked fine. My question is have anyone experience this and is it possible to run the AC without tensioner pulley as the belt is pretty tight my worries are the belt going to snap or put to put stress on the AC compressor while it is not on?
Old 04-02-2016, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Running AC without tensioner

i dont think it would work without the tensioner, it most likely would be too lose and not work or fly off. just order a new bracket online ebay may have to go without a/c for a week...
Old 04-02-2016, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

your running a gsr?
Old 04-02-2016, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

honda must have got a batch of crap bolts.
mine broke on i-80 in the nv desert 14 years ago.
had to hang a couple u-turns to go find the pulley.
fun times with no a/c...
Old 04-02-2016, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im in midwest so i only need it like two months out of year
Old 04-03-2016, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 89brokendownEF
i dont think it would work without the tensioner, it most likely would be too lose and not work or fly off. just order a new bracket online ebay may have to go without a/c for a week...
thats the funny thing its as tight as before when I have my tensioner..to other is a type r with ls ac bracket.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The non-vtec pulley is larger than the vtec version. That's why the belt is going on so tight.

Replace the bracket with the correct version. While you may have no issues currently, it's only a matter of time.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The tensioner can be deleted honestly. As long as you get a belt that fits correctly it will work fine without issue. If you look at the design of most other honda a/c systems they don't use a tensioner like the integras. Just make sure the belt is the right size and you'll be hassle free.
Old 04-10-2016, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have to admit, it seems common in my experience for the tensioner to loosen or even fall off! Had it happen to me a couple times! The problem, when they get covered in oil, they vibrate and loosen. Clean your tensioner real good, wire brush the bolt and put thread locker on it! Id also recommend some liquid tape on the bolt after you have it set, so future potential oil leaks, cant cause the bolt to loosen! I dont know how you would tighten the belt without a tensioner. You'd likely get a squealing belt without it.
Old 04-10-2016, 10:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trm4life
I have to admit, it seems common in my experience for the tensioner to loosen or even fall off! Had it happen to me a couple times! The problem, when they get covered in oil, they vibrate and loosen. Clean your tensioner real good, wire brush the bolt and put thread locker on it! Id also recommend some liquid tape on the bolt after you have it set, so future potential oil leaks, cant cause the bolt to loosen! I dont know how you would tighten the belt without a tensioner. You'd likely get a squealing belt without it.
I think in your situation, you should fix these oil leaks that are causing problems for the A/C tensioner. An oil leak in that area is not common and should be diagnosed. As a result, there wouldn't be any need to add thread locker to the tensioner bolt threads.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

That tentioner bolt comes loose when its stripped from being over torqued. As long as its torqued good its not gonna come off. My supercharger uses this pulley to tention the blower belt and iv stripped the threads once from using a diffent bolt and over torquing it, if anything you might get some belt squeel down the road without the tentioner.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

while the belt may be tight without the tensioner, it may also be too tight which will destroy belts and eventually a crank pulley. do yourself a favor and buy a tensioner. itll be cheaper in the long run