Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Rubber/Plastic burning smell after a major tuned up

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubber/Plastic burning smell after a major tuned up

Hi, my friend has a 95 LS integra w/about 160K miles. The car overheated the other day so we decided to do a major tune up: themostat, caps/rotors, spark plugs, tranny drained and refilled w/honda MTF, radiator flushed and refilled, timing belt, water pump, milled the head .020, no vavle stem seals, all gaskets from the head up were changed, and the crank seal was changed also. Valve lashes were done and all parts are OEM.

The car starts up, idle and runs fine. The fans come on; however, when the car gets warmed up and is driven for like 10 mins, there's a rubber/plastic burning smell coming from the engine. But it doesn't, or should i say hasn't overheated...drove the car for like an hr.

Thinking it might be the inner timing belt cover rubbing agianst the cam sprockets or the timing belt is rubbing against something, I took off the head to trim down the inner timing cover and to inspect the timing belt. To my surprise, the exhaust cam caps bolts closest to the spark plugs were loose on cap #4,3,&2. I know I torqued em down to 108 in/lb, so I retorqued all to 108 in/lb again. I also noticed there aren't that much of oil in the head (the head was hot tanked so it looked really clean) but the dip stick checks out fine. The inner timing belt cover did look like it was rubbing, so I trimmed it down. Guess what, the smell is still there?

I was told that it might be the oil pump or oil passage might be blocked/clogged...and other ideas/suggestions? Also, how can I test if it's the oil pump or clogged oil passage?

Please help and thanks in advance guys.
Old 01-28-2005, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

maybe drive a little longer, maybe it'll go away. Could be oil or something that was spilled on something just burning up, happens to me a lot.

and you said that your cam caps bolts were loose, 2 of my exhaust manifold bolts actually came off before, even though i torqued them down, weird huh?
Old 01-28-2005, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (virusiidx)

Virusiidx, thanks for your input and did you retorque it back to spec or did you torque it a lil bit more?

I've tried the "search" and checked under, over, side to side of the hood to see if there's a von's bag, a dead squirrel, or even a plastic/rubber tube that's somehow stuck in the header/motor, but no luck. Oil is leaking somewhere onto the oil pan. However, the smell is burn plastic/rubber smell.