Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Royal Purple

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Royal Purple

Any of you guys use Royal Purple? I am thinking about switching to it and just wanted to get opinions from the rest of you about it. Does is it really work, or just a hype?
Old 05-16-2006, 10:03 AM

Mostly hype I have used it...I have also used redline products. they are okay, not woth $9 a quart though...I just use Mobile one full sythetic now...only $6 a quart...I burn a quart every 2 weeks so it gets expensive.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:04 AM

Default Re: Royal Purple (Baron55)

Mobil 1 Synthetic is the ****
Old 05-16-2006, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I was able to sneek about 4 quarts of it into a open box of oil, then filled the rest of the box with store brand oil so they couldn't tell.

There certainly isnt any difference in the way to the car drives and feels. It may be just a $7/quart piece of mind.

Overrated if you ask me.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:08 AM
Lan
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Royal Purple (VTteg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VTteg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was able to sneek about 4 quarts of it into a open box of oil, then filled the rest of the box with store brand oil so they couldn't tell.

There certainly isnt any difference in the way to the car drives and feels. It may be just a $7/quart piece of mind.

Overrated if you ask me. </TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL
Old 05-16-2006, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Royal Purple (Lan)

i used the royal purple tranny fluid and i can tell no diff between that and the mobile 1 i had before..
Old 05-16-2006, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Royal Purple (Lan)

I burned Royal Purple more so than when I use Mobil 1.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Royal Purple (Kentagious)

bought royal purple for my teg and it has been sitting in my garage cuz im to lazy to change the oil, ive been told its the best but who knows?
Old 05-16-2006, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

not sure how well it works but, heres a link to the vids
http://www.royalpurple.com/techrp/summary.html
Old 05-16-2006, 01:42 PM
Night Owl

i've never been able to notice any difference between using synthetic or reg 5w30. its prob worth it if you drive a high hp car, like the ls1 in the royal purple vids, but amn integra? ehh maybe 1-2 hp gain
Old 05-16-2006, 02:44 PM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: (9000rpms)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 9000rpms &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Mostly hype I have used it...I have also used redline products. they are okay, not woth $9 a quart though...</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 9000rpms &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just use Mobile one full sythetic now...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Me too!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 9000rpms &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">only $6 a quart...</TD></TR></TABLE>

You can get it for less than that at Wal-Mart. I've checked several Wal-Marts around the Midwest lately, and all have Mobil 1 in 5-gallon jugs for $21.xx and in six-packs (six quarts) for $26.xx (which is even better than Costco or Sam's Club, which are both around $28 for six-packs).
Old 05-16-2006, 02:50 PM
Lan
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Royal Purple (50shot)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 50shot &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">shut the *** up noob</TD></TR></TABLE>

That was random, do you have turret's of the hands?
Old 05-16-2006, 03:33 PM

the point of using a sythetic oil type is to save wear on your engine internals. there is no power to be gained & if any, prolly not noticeable. synthetic oils are designed to lube your internal parts better than standard oil. that's it.
oveRRated imo! the only way to benefit from this **** is to use it from the beginning of all time.
Old 05-16-2006, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Royal Purple (sunnydeez)

I use castrol syntec, never let me down and it is a $1 or 2 cheaper than mobil1 but that isnt really the point, my dad has used castrol since i can remember and runs his toyota motors over 200k easily

synthetic oils all seems to be the "same ****, different ***"
Old 05-16-2006, 03:51 PM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: Royal Purple (sunnydeez)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sunnydeez &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the point of using a sythetic oil type is to save wear on your engine internals. there is no power to be gained & if any, prolly not noticeable. synthetic oils are designed to lube your internal parts better than standard oil. that's it.
oveRRated imo! the only way to benefit from this **** is to use it from the beginning of all time.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not true.

Synthetic oil is more resistant to breakdown when hot than conventional oil, and it flows better than conventional oil when cold. Both characteristics make it better for your engine, whether it's new or old, and no matter what oil you've been using up till now.

The only downside is cost; if you change your oil every 4K miles, it costs about half a penny more per mile (which means an extra $50 per year if you drive 10K miles per year). To me, that's a very inexpensive price for better protection on an engine that would cost thousands of dollars to replace. If you don't think it's worth it, don't use it.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Royal Purple (nsxtasy)

oil like royal purple and amsoil are great for those who like to go long periods without oil changes. Amsoil claims to provide protection for 15,000 miles, supposedly mobile 1's extended life oil copied Amsoil. Royal purple made their mark in lube for industrial equipment, saving companies bundles of money by providing longer periods of machine operation with less maintanance down time. Royal purple also has a micro polish which supposedly polishes your internals and removes fine blemishes. I can vouch for Royal purple for staying clean after 7k miles between oil changes, and that's city and highway driving.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Royal Purple (ntgra)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ntgra &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

if it looks clean after 7k miles, then it aint doing its job.. not only is oil used to lube and transfer heat, but it also suppose to "clean" out the burn crap by carrying the crap away from the moving parts... which is why most oil looks like crap after a while...

if ur saying that royal purple looks cleaner then other, then i dont know man... its not removing the crap its suppose to... the color of the oil doesnt mean its bad,,, u have to feel the oil also.... to see if it still has its lubing structures..</TD></TR></TABLE>

I can see your point, usually after 500 miles my oil begins to change colors, turning from an almost clear liquid to a darker color, an by the time i do an oil change my oil is the color of syrup but still has the new feel to it

Old 05-17-2006, 05:49 AM

My own personal opinion on royal purple is it works great, as a matters of fact it works to good in higher mileage motors. I ran it in my b18a1 for 5 months the motor had 124,000 on it and i switched from mobil 1 to royal purple. Royal purple does have micropolish in it, my motor was worn and dirty and after 5 months of royal purple it cleaned everything out and eventually clogged my oil galleys in my crank making me spin a bearing.While amsoil and mobil 1 have a better film strength royal purple is by far the best racing oil.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:26 AM

Default Re: (teggy2uner18)

Royal Purple has been good to my motor. Used it since i got my car. If people say they are using it and they are burning oil... Which type of weight are you using? I was told if it is an older motor and you want the oil to burn less, run with 10w-30 instead of 5w-30. It's a bit thicker. Been road racing a couple times and it burns a little bit, but thats what happens when you run your car at 8k and shifting. Even though an oil states that it can last over 5000 number of miles. I still change my oil every 2500-3k. It's just simply better for the whole motor in general. Keeps the head on my car really clean and does not have the buildup. Just my $.02
Old 05-17-2006, 07:51 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: (spankey167)

When synthetic oil was first introduced, it was claimed that you could extend your oil change intervals with synthetic. Most of the manufacturers of synthetic oil have backed away from such claims since then.

Oil degrades in several ways - not only due to heat (what synthetic is better at), but also, over time, oil builds up contaminants (dirt, etc). Synthetic and conventional oil will both build up contaminants at the same rate.

If I had to choose between using synthetic oil with much longer change intervals, vs using conventional oil with more frequent change intervals, I would choose the latter. I'm not limited to those two choices, of course; I use synthetic, but I don't extend my oil change intervals just because I'm using synthetic.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:55 AM
Trial User

Default Re: (nsxtasy)

"Oil degrades in several ways - not only due to heat (what synthetic is better at), but also, over time, oil builds up contaminants (dirt, etc). Synthetic and conventional oil will both build up contaminants at the same rate." -nsxtasy

But do the contaminants of the oil(s) have a lesser effect on the longevity of the oil(s) life due to the difference in qualitie's of the oil?
Old 05-17-2006, 11:31 AM
Semper Fidelis

Default Re: (metab18b)

I use royal purple 5w-30. have since I bought my car. i am not that owrried about cost as I only do 2-3 oil changes a year in the car. I am fortiante that I dont have far to drive to work (4.3mi). I dont see any problems with using this oil either. I will be using it after I get the motor rebuilt in Aug as well (high milage/better parts)
Old 05-17-2006, 11:44 AM

i have ran mobil 1, castrol syntec, Quaker State, and royal purple (all fully synthetic with lucas oil stabilizer). I can tell the difference of how smoothly everything operates. Royal Purple also lets me run to the redline quicker and without that kind of dry feeling when you rev high. i get royal purple for $7 a quart at O'Reillys. I also run a K&N oil filter. Oh, on the speed network a while back they put a camaro on the dyno with convential oil and then with royal purple and it gained 8hp... go to royal purples website and you can watch the episode.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:43 AM

My engine has about 2k on it now , and at 1500k i switched to royal purple. I got it for 7$ a quart. yes its kind of expensive , i feel its worth it. Maybe its all in my head? but i honestly see and feel a difference in the way the engine runs. Even beating the hell of it everyday it hasnt burned a drop , ill have to get back to to you when i get more miles on the engine. The only down side of this is the 46$ or so in oil and filter. but if its protecting my engine (2400$) then i am willing to spend money for good oil.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:53 AM

Default Re: Royal Purple (shiftat9kay)

i run royal puple in my 150k ls when i made the switch the engine ran quiter. only been using it for around 7k soo we will wait and see. i tell you one thing i did notice small to minute gains in throttle response. as far as it cleaning while it works i dont know. im going to continue running it until the DOD gives me enough money that i can build the thing. after that i should know for sure.

Quick Reply: Royal Purple